Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seltorian photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Schneder II
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Seltorian photos Reply with quote

I just finished some of my Seltorians Very Happy They hold a special place in my heart as they were what I first wanted to sculpt for ADB. And eventually, I did!! Enjoy Very Happy

Seltorian fleet
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/Johhnyjohhny/Star%20Fleet%20battles/SeltFleet01.jpg

Seltorian fleet alt view
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/Johhnyjohhny/Star%20Fleet%20battles/SeltFleet02.jpg

Seltorian DN-BCH-DNL
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/Johhnyjohhny/Star%20Fleet%20battles/SeltHeavies01.jpg

Seltorian DN-BCH-DNL alt view
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/Johhnyjohhny/Star%20Fleet%20battles/SeltHeavies02.jpg

Seltorian CA-NCA-CL
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/Johhnyjohhny/Star%20Fleet%20battles/SeltMid01.jpg

Seltorian DD-FF
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/Johhnyjohhny/Star%20Fleet%20battles/SeltLight01.jpg

And here is a size comparison between the first 'run' of Seltorians I made, and the ones that finally made it to production. On the left is an original CA, on the right the CA in production. As you can all see, its way bigger (and much heavier I might add). The old CA is actually larger all around than the new DN. The entire line was of a similar scale, but they had to be redone smaller due to weight of metal (and hence cost of metal).

Seltorian CA comparison
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff38/Johhnyjohhny/Star%20Fleet%20battles/SeltCAs01.jpg
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very nice John. What color green is that?

I have mine on order fro the FLGS, but they have not come in yet. I have a bottle of metallic, jade-green that I plan to air-brush as the base coat. That combined with "sunshine yellow" for the contrasting color should give me a "June Bug" type look that (IMHO) goes perfectly well with a race of insectoids.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done John. Looking great with the green. How did you get that effect? it looks like a more ordered drybrush to me.

I like the original scruplt too, maybe as a DNE? If such a thing exists for the Seltorians?

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the colors and awesome job on the sculpting.

When I first opened up the pics I almost had to go get a can of raid and a fly swat because there were so many of them! Almost felt like I was in the swamp being attacked by mosquitos!

Thanks for sculpting new minis for us to paint. Purchased my first Seltorian CA for Christmas and it came out real nice. Can we expect any other ones soon? I for one would love to see your Carnivons in production.

Before I forget your battle flag is cool.

Matt
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, nice avatar... I never even noticed that one!
John Schneder II
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to reply to everyone: thanks for all the compliments!! To specifics:
Tony,
The green I used was a custom mix, starting with Tamiya Field Grey, and adding Flat Green, and another off-brand green. But what I found out is that all I ended up creating was Panzer Olivegrun, LOL. In later stages I just used both the Polly-S and Testors Model Master version of Panzer Olivegrun.
Thanks on the avatar, once I saw your Battlegroup Murfeesboro, I just had to make one for our group in Cincy. We were also thinking of making our Selts look like bugs of some sort. I have lots of cool pearl colors in metallic and clear colors to go over them, and with another dozen Selts, we should have some fun with insect effect paint.

Ogoptimus,
Thanks:-) I did the standard drybrush technique (for me anyway). Basecoat, wash with black wash twice (thanks Tony for the furniture polish trick), drybrush heavily with original color, then drybrush twice more in successively lighter versions of the original. I need to ask SVC to post my article on mini conversions where I explain it a bit more. I converted a standard D7 to an FD7, explaining the conversion and painting along the way.
I liked the original Selts too. They were inovative in that I made only one rear hull for each of the sizes (one for the DD-FF, one for CL-CA-NCA-DNL) and one for the DN-BCH. This made the rears all the same size and shape, something that couldn't be done with eight individual minis. Only the 'front' hulls/booms were different between the classes. They looked great, but were just too expensive to make. AFAIK, the one CA I have is the only one left from the initial master run.

Matt,
Thanks to you too both on the mins and the flag Very Happy Though its tough at times, sculpting is my pleasure for the most part. Just to see my work in produciton is too awesome for words!! And especially since I was not a regular sculptor, I went to Origins and brought some of my work to SVC, and he gave me the chance. I know we have a Lyran and Hydran coming out soon (my jobs this spring), along with Tony's monitor (which looks really good BTW). I've been hinted at that the Vudar I have mostly ready will maybe be this year, but no promises on that.

Thanks again for all your compliments!!

--John
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work as always John. I'm always blown away with the details you achieve with paint. I "wuss out" and use decals.
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I saw the picture of the Vudar ship on page 40 of CL #35. You are really doing some impressive work. There is only the picture of the ship and nothing written about it, leaving everyone wondereing like an episode of a soapopera on a friday afternoon.

I think that it would be cool if ABD did a Booster 00 with the Vudar, Carnivons, and Paravians. Something called "Myths and Legends", because not much is known about these empires, with just simple rules.

Well I got to go because I just got my CL #36 in today as well as FC Line of Battle and some new minis in. Please keep posting your pics because they are always enjoyable to look at.

Matt
John Schneder II
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will,
Thanks for the compliments Very Happy I guess since my armor-model days I kinda got away from decals. I always found I could make the markings better than the decal, LOL. Actually, I don't even have a really steady hand. I use the trick I used for pinstriping cars: I brace my fingers and brush against the mini itself, or against my other fingers to make the brush more stable.
A good (read: expensive) natural bristle brush doesn't hurt either (the wonders of a 20/0 red sable brush).
John Schneder II
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Also thanks for the compliment. The Vudar were another of my personal projects, much like the Seltorians. I thought the ships looked cool in the art, and wanted to make them for ADB. I am proud of the Vudar (and the others are here, on my desk, almost ready to go Smile

I think a Vudar-Carnivon-Paravian-Peladine (don't forget the Peladine, they are pretty cool too) booster for FC. Plus it would open up whole new vistas of minis to create!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: