Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Federation Commander SSD Card Dimensions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darebear
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Federation Commander SSD Card Dimensions Reply with quote

Question: can anyone give me the dimensions of the SSD cards?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are "half-sheets" of standard American 8.5 inch x 11 inch sheets. So, their dimensions are 5.5 inches by 8.5 inches. That's approximately 138mm x 214mm (by my ruler).

Federation Commander Answer Guy
darebear
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! Most appreciated.
darebear
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an addendum, I played SFB years ago but sold it all off due to lack of a player base. FC seems right up my alley, but I have a hard time justifying playing $10 for a small amount of duplicate laminated SSDs. It feels very "X-Wingy"/CCGish. Coming from SFB, with access to zillions of ships if feels like a less for more situation. It is certainly good for revenue though; that I understand and respect.

Finally, being Canadian, currency conversion is an issue for me since all of these products are at least 30% more expensive for me (everything up here is a fortune.....we can easily pay over $100 a month for an average phone plan). The 12 Booster Packs for Klingon and Romulan Border/Attack modules is $120 which would/have bought a lot of SFB products. Really hard to swallow that for things I used to photocopy en mass.

Anyway, I figured that with my home laminator and color laser printer/copier I could make those extra SSDs I need at home. Copy both Fleet/Squadron SSDs onto a single piece of 8x11, fold it over and laminate with 10 mil 6x9 pouches (10 being very rigid).

Do most people purchase extra cards or do you make your own? Just curious.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option is combing through Communique. The first, I dunno, 80 or so, issues have reprints of published ship cards. Basically, all Klingon Border, Klingon Attack, Romulan Border, and Romulan Attack are republished through Communique. It will take a little digging to get them all, but they are definitely there. (The bonus Booster ships are not, of course, but the rest are.)

If you want to try the game out, and have no map or counters, then I recommend getting Academy. This gives you the Klingon/Romulan Border rules, a map, counters, and four ship cards. With the above mentioned Communiques, you will be able to have a full, effective set of ships to use, and you can figure out if you want to go further. Academy itself is a USD $25 purchase. (I have no idea what the shipping to Canada is for it. It could double the price, honestly.)

This all assumes that you are willing to accept paper (and B&W paper at that) ship cards. But, as a lowest-cost entry point, this should allow you to experiment with the system with a (relatively) low entry cost. If you like it, you can start buying what interests you. If you don't, at least you aren't out a huge amount of money.

Just a thought.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also download FIRST MISSIONS which is a streamlined and simplified set of FC rules without some bells and some whistles. But it's free.
darebear
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gents.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might also suggest taking a look at these PDF options. Various empires have one or more ePacks available from Warehouse 23, DriveThruRPG, and/or Wargame Vault. (Bear in mind that the "Briefing #2" packs listed there are for Middle Years Ship Cards, which are akin to the "unrefitted" hulls in Star Fleet Battles terms.)

Also, if you want as close to a one-stop-shop as you can get for the rules needed to operate the "main era" Alpha Octant empires presently in Federation Commander, I might further recommend getting an electronic copy of the FC Reference Rulebook.

And it might be worth noting that certain Ship Cards are "double-size", for units such as battleships and starbases. I don't have the exact dimensions of those Ship Cards to hand right now, though.
Itharus
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darebear wrote:
As an addendum, I played SFB years ago but sold it all off due to lack of a player base. FC seems right up my alley, but I have a hard time justifying playing $10 for a small amount of duplicate laminated SSDs. It feels very "X-Wingy"/CCGish. Coming from SFB, with access to zillions of ships if feels like a less for more situation. It is certainly good for revenue though; that I understand and respect.

Finally, being Canadian, currency conversion is an issue for me since all of these products are at least 30% more expensive for me (everything up here is a fortune.....we can easily pay over $100 a month for an average phone plan). The 12 Booster Packs for Klingon and Romulan Border/Attack modules is $120 which would/have bought a lot of SFB products. Really hard to swallow that for things I used to photocopy en mass.

Anyway, I figured that with my home laminator and color laser printer/copier I could make those extra SSDs I need at home. Copy both Fleet/Squadron SSDs onto a single piece of 8x11, fold it over and laminate with 10 mil 6x9 pouches (10 being very rigid).

Do most people purchase extra cards or do you make your own? Just curious.

I try to buy pdfs of materials for this game whenever I can and just print everything as I need it. Sadly not everything is available in pdf yet Sad

I deeply wish it were.

Edit: Oooh. There do seem to be new ones since the last time I looked though, yay! I hope this is a trend Smile
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are moving to PDFs as fast as we can BUT we cannot post a PDF of a non-updated product or we get trashed in reviews. And Steve Petrick can only revise/update one product at a time and updating old products is not his only job.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We are moving to PDFs as fast as we can BUT we cannot post a PDF of a non-updated product or we get trashed in reviews.

Why does this matter? Who cares what a few jerks have to say? As someoone who only buys pdfs (sad experience has taught me the impermanence of physical objects), I really hate the idea that the reason so many SFB/FC products are not out on pdf is because of this.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares what a few jerks have to say? Well, there's an old adage "a happy costumer will tell ten people, an unhappy costumer will tell a hundred people." And with the Internet, multiply by a thousand. Those "jerks" will post poor reviews on the three main PDF download sites and also on gaming sites such as Board-Game-Geeks. Poor reviews lead to poor sales.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of skeptical about that. These are niche products on a niche topic in niche hobby. The people who are going to buy the PDF of the Module R1 SSD book are not likely going to be new customers, but old customers who want the convenience of SSDs they can simply print off, or replace worn out copies.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actual sales data shows that being trashed in reviews lowers sales for every product and costs us lots of money.

We don't set policy on gut feelings. We use actual data. The last time we posted a non-updated book we got trashed so thoroughly it took months of updated products for sales to recover.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems strange to me, but then I generally don't read reviews for most purchases. I know what I want to buy and I buy it. I'll read reviews if I am buying a TV, but even there I take them with a grain of salt. The people who liked the TV don't generally post reviews, so the data is heavily skewed.

Just out of curiosity, what is it they are trashing? I guess what I am really asking is, what do the updates consist of? Errata? New content?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: