Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed Scout Destroyer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Fed Scout Destroyer Reply with quote

The ship card for the 4-photon Fed DD mentions how some variants replaced photons C and D with drone racks or Pl-F, and even includes ammo/arming tracks for them. Has anyone ever tried replacing them with special sensors to get the benefit of jamming and drone/plasma defense? Would that be "illegal" for some reason?

Perhaps there was such a ship in SFB?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a scout based on the destroyer hull, but it is much more elaborate than that.

The Hermes-class scout originates clear back in the original Franz Joseph Technical Manual.

For the SFU-version, the scout replaces all of the photons with special sensors, as well as all four of the side phaser-1 mounts. This gives the scout 8 special sensors in total, more than pretty much anything else in the game.

If it had the engine power to make complete use of those special sensors it would easily be the most powerful scout in the SFU. Given its power limitations, it is just an exceptional one.

The ship card for the scout is in Communique #28. The version based on Franz Joseph's drawings (which lacks the SFU-specific drone rack and phaser-3 mounts) is in Booster #91 (the ships of Franz Joseph). The earlier Middle Years version (similar to the FJ verison) is in Communique #57.
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As pointed out by the dood, when the ship was given special sensors, it replaces all of the photons (plus some phasers) rather than just half the photons. The reason is because only replacing part of the heavy weapons makes a pretty inefficient ship because of the (5S6) Blinding rules. This would severally restrict how the sensors could be used, and so was rarely ever seen. It is why most scouts have no heavy weapons.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, I know all about the Fed SC - I've had the FJ Tech Manual since I was in 6th grade (I won't say exactly how long ago that was, but a peanut farmer was president). I also have the ship cards for both the standard and MY versions. I was thinking of a more heavily armed scout. But I had forgotten about the blinding thing.

I guess that also kills my idea for mounting two sensors in the neck weapons mounts of the Fed BC. Smile
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnuzzi wrote:
I guess that also kills my idea for mounting two sensors in the neck weapons mounts of the Fed BC. Smile

As it happens, there is already an Star Fleet Battles SSD in Captain's Log #48 for what would have been the Ranger-class battlecruiser, which was proposed as a means of doing the one thing you'd want to have a heavily-armed scout available to do: hunting Andromedan Rapid Transit Network nodes.

Once the Alpha Octant empires became aware of the RTN in 2595 (Y195), they needed a means of finding Andromedan bases, of destroying them quickly before the Andros could re-locate them, or perhaps of holding the invaders up long enough for a follow-on force to show up and destroy the base.

Historically, the best ships to cay out this mission for most Alpha Octant empires were the X-raiders (X-scout carriers and X-gunboat tenders) in SFB Module X1R, as they combined the power of the X-carrier (or X-PFT) with the force multiplier provided by its squadron of fighters (or flotilla of PFs). A good example of this was the Romulan FireHawk-EX Admiral Centius, which combined the full firepower of the "Fire-Axe" base hull with a flotilla of Centurion or StarHawk PFs.

In the case of the Federation, the advanced galactic survey cruisers were effective in this task. Even more so was their half-sibling, the advanced medium carrier NCC-1783 USS Field Marshal Colin Powell, as it brought a squadron of F-111 heavy fighters along as a force multiplier.

While the Ranger-class might have been useful in this role, by the time one of the battlecruiser hulls became available the crisis had passed. In the "standard" timeline, at least; perhaps one (or more) such conversions took place after alt-2600 (alt-Y200) over in the Darwin's "dark future" timeline.

Last edited by Nerroth on Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the Darwin "dark future" timeline mentioned before. What is it, exactly? An alternate future where the Andros won?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Star Fleet Battles Module X1, scenario (SH166.0) RETURN OF THE DARWIN involves NCC-1802 USS Darwin, a galactic survey cruiser then operating in a light carrier configuration. In 2595 (Y195), it uncovered the secret of the Andromedan Rapid Transit Network - but before it could report back, it vanished into a temporal rift. It re-emerged in alt-2607 (alt-Y207), into a timeline in which the Andromedans were on course to conquer the Alpha Octant. Fortunately, the Darwin was able to make it back through the rift, and the "dark future" it encountered [or perhaps inadvertently created, as the RTN was not uncovered in the alternate timeline until alt-2600 (alt-Y200)] was averted.

There is more data in SFB Module C3A on the "dark future" timeline, including a set of four Mothership variants exclusive to that timeline which are armed with a fearsome weapon known as the Dissection Beam.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of the Dissection Beam. From what I understand, it's similar to a weapon used by a cyborg race on a certain TV show. So that's why none of my FC Andro ships have it. I read a comment from someone once that suggested you could actually cut the warp nacelles off of a ship with it!

And some think the Andros are overpowered as is!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: