Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting FASA "Starship Simulator" units to FC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmicplanes
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Converting FASA "Starship Simulator" units to FC Reply with quote

So I was looking into playing either the discontinued "Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator" by FASA or Federation Commander. I decided on Federation Commander since I like the gameplay and rules much more. However I enjoyed the fact that the FASA games were set in the Star Trek movie era, and fans are still updating ship stats, as seen here for example:

http://www.ststcsolda.space/

So what ideally I was wanting to do was take and convert the ships and space stations and their stats from there into Federation Commander, but I would have no idea how to do this. I also would need a template for the ships to play with Federation Commander and perhaps more game piece customization as well. Can anyone offer me help, tips, advice on resources on how to go about doing this?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always do what quite a few people do, and just use the pretty FASA minis with FedCom ship cards and game mechanics. There is usually an SFU ship that equates close-enough to the trek movie universe FASA was based in.

For example, the ADB Kearsarge-class NCL ship card works quite well with the FASA Reliant miniature.

The problem with homebrews and conversions is that they are rarely playtested well and often end up unbalanced. They're fun to create, but often not as much fun to play (if you're the guy who ends up with the overclassed ship).

There won't be templates, etc. for the ADB products as they protect their intellectual property quite closely. You are free to work up your own for your own purposes, but sharing any of it here would violate their agreements with Paramount/CBS and would not be allowed.
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
You could always do what quite a few people do, and just use the pretty FASA minis with FedCom ship cards and game mechanics. There is usually an SFU ship that equates close-enough to the trek movie universe FASA was based in.

For example, the ADB Kearsarge-class NCL ship card works quite well with the FASA Reliant miniature.

I was thinking this might be what I was going to need to do if no conversion between the two was possible.

djdood wrote:
The problem with homebrews and conversions is that they are rarely playtested well and often end up unbalanced. They're fun to create, but often not as much fun to play (if you're the guy who ends up with the overclassed ship).

This was another hurdle I realized as well.

djdood wrote:
There won't be templates, etc. for the ADB products as they protect their intellectual property quite closely. You are free to work up your own for your own purposes, but sharing any of it here would violate their agreements with Paramount/CBS and would not be allowed.

I have 2 questions:

1. Which of the Federation Commander products then would I need to purchase for what I am trying to achieve? Obviously any RPG story element expansions or anything involving non-Federation/Romulan/Klingon races is something I do not have an interest in.

2. I have not played either Federation Commander or the FASA Starship Combat Simulator as of yet. Have you ever played the FASA game and how would you compare the gameplay to Federation Commander?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmicplanes wrote:
I have 2 questions:

1. Which of the Federation Commander products then would I need to purchase for what I am trying to achieve? Obviously any RPG story element expansions or anything involving non-Federation/Romulan/Klingon races is something I do not have an interest in.

Can't answer that unless you are more-specific about which empires and ships you want to emulate.

If you're mostly interested in Federation and Klingon ships, just the FedCom Klingon Border (box set) and Klingon Attack (expansion folio) would give you the complete game and a wide selection to start with. Everything else just adds more empires to that.

cosmicplanes wrote:

2. I have not played either Federation Commander or the FASA Starship Combat Simulator as of yet. Have you ever played the FASA game and how would you compare the gameplay to Federation Commander?

I used to play the FASA game and still own the components, but it's been 30 years.

Back in the day, it somewhat filled a role similar to what FedCom does now - a more-streamlined alternative to the heavy crunch of SFB. I didn't like certain aspects of the FASA game though. They did a lot of things that just didn't make much sense and/or were inconsistent, some because of their own choices, some because franchise trek is written by screenwriters and not engineers or game designers.

FASA had some lovely starship designs (the D-10, the Chandley, etc.) and some real dogs that were just photocopy paste-ups with no thought to scale or practicality.

Gameplay-wise, it was fun but the Federation ships always seemed overpowered to me. The Romulan ships lacked the terror-factor thier plasma weapons should have had. (again, bear in mind, I didn't play it much, mostly-read, and it's been 30+ years).

FedCom I have extensive game time in. IF there is one thing it is far-superior at than FASA's game, it is in being internally-consistent. I have found no stupid discrepancies in FedCom. It's not a perfect game, but it plays well, tactics that should work will work, and ships behave like they should and even-point matches are actually pretty even.

I also like that FedCom is just one game in a larger product line that shares a technical database. If you like the ships, then the way they behave and the way you fight them in FedCom is also how they behave in SFB, in A Call to Arms Star Fleet, and even in Federation & Empire. The different game-scales change the level of detail, but not the basic properties of the game data.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I liked about FASA Trek's starship combat rules was that you could have a "bridge crew" handling the ship's functions, which was great for an RPG.

Was a bit awkward in most circumstances, though.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried FASA back in the day, and greatly preferred Star Fleet Battles (there was no Federation Commander back then). I also thought that most of the ship designs - with the exception of the ones from the films - were butt ugly. I *despise* the Chandley. It's way too "tall". It just looks unbalanced to me (a lot of people seem to like it, though). The Gorn ships are wretched, blocky things. The Klingon ships...well, there was a battleship that was this fat, bloated hulk. Then there was one that had only one wing. I kid you not - it was half a ship, missing one side! The only one I really liked was a Romulan ship called the Winged Defender.

As for play mechanics, it wasn't very well thought out, and if you think Feds are overpowered in the SFU, try FASA. You literally CAN'T lose as a Fed in FASA, unless you put a frigate up against a battleship or something.

Ultimately, I think FASA appealed to people whose main concern about a Trek-based game was "Can I play the Excelsior?" And they could, and there was a really pretty picture on the counter, too. But in the final analysis, that pretty counter didn't make the game fun or interesting the way SFB was.

All of the above is IMHO, of course.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the "bridge crew" version of the game was created specifically so that the FASA Starship Tactical Combat Simulator could be used as the ship vs ship battle component of FASA's then-current Star Trek Roleplaying Game.
ElizabethB
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnuzzi wrote:
Also, the "bridge crew" version of the game was created specifically so that the FASA Starship Tactical Combat Simulator could be used as the ship vs ship battle component of FASA's then-current Star Trek Roleplaying Game.

To be accurate, the bridge crew version of the game was created for the Star Trek RPG first edition long before the Starship Combat Simulator was published. This was the basis for the Simulator.

Also, I think you're being overly harsh about it. It wasn't as balanced as SFB, but it wasn't particularly bad, either.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned and played both Star Fleet Battles and the FASA ST Combat Simulator. The FASA game had much nicer looking components. The counters, charts, and ship displays (?) looked much more polished than the SFB materials. But the value of a game is really in the play of it and SFB had it beaten, hands down (IMHO).

Now that there is Federation Commander, there is a glitzier way to enjoy the Star Fleet Universe. My preference would be to use the FC system with all the richness of the SFB background, but that is only wishful thinking.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, I think you're being overly harsh about it. It wasn't as balanced as SFB, but it wasn't particularly bad, either.

Maybe there was some tactic akin to the "saber dance" that would have enabled a Klingon D7 to beat a Fed CA, but in a straight shoot-em-up, the Feds were hard to beat. But then, people say the same about FC/SFB.

Another thing was that FASA had nothing like Captain's Log, so there was no place for people to share tactics and whatnot. This was before the general public had internet access, of course.

Truthfully, the main thing I used the FASA game for was re-enacting the battle from ST II. Smile
ecs05norway
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I liked about FASA was that they didn't try to make the individual ships balanced. A Federation cruiser might outgun a Klingon cruiser might be outmaneuvered by a Romulan ship might not be as tough as a Gorn ship etc. They didn't focus around the idea that a duel between two ships of the same class should be a 50/50 shot varying only by the difference between player skills and the luck of the dice.

I really wish SFB had taken that tack but I know it's far too late to change now. Sad
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually ADB did do that. If you look at the Federation CA (not CARa+), the Klingon D7 (not D7K), the Romulan KR (not K7RB) and WE (not KE), the Kzinti CS (not BC), the Gorn CA (not BCF), Lyran CA (not CAp+) and the Orion CA (not BC), you can see that the original ships all had unique weaknesses and strengths relative to each other. But, over the years, the weaknesses were smoothed over and covered, resulting in stronger (and homogeneous) ships.

In Federation Commander, if you want to get a feel for this, get Briefing #2 (or the ship card packs associated with it) and you can try them out for yourself.

(And why did the ships evolve over the years? Because that is what the vast majority of players wanted. They didn't want rock-paper-scissors. They wanted those 50/50 match ups you are lamenting.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give my customers what they want, and that's what they wanted.

SFB pioneered the "no two ships equal" concept and players didn't like it.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that people wanted to be able to, for example, put any CA up against any other CA (or CA equivalent, like the D7 BC or Kzinti CS). Otherwise, you would have situations like, "Oh, you're going to use THAT ship? Then I can't use the ship I usually use..."

I think players wanted it to be more about tactics and maneuver than picking a ship that took advantage of a weakness in another ship. I'm not sure which mirrors the situation in the "real world" more closely.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SFB pioneered the "no two ships equal" concept and players didn't like it.

And yet, when the 180-point BCH were printed, there were more than a few players complaining about "cookie cutter ships". Some days, you just can't win.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: