Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternative "Command" Rule?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnDDW
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Alternative "Command" Rule? Reply with quote

Rather than giving a bonus to initiative, has an alternative been considered that ties squadrons of ships to how much command capability the fleet has?

I had a few ideas for alternatives.

#1(1) A ship with "command" trait allows a number of ships equal to its "labs" trait value to be in squadrons. (or labs/2 as #1b)

#2 A ship with "command"+# trait allows you to create # number squadrons from ships in your fleet.

#3 You are able to have any of your ships operate in squadrons if you have any non-crippled ships with the "command" trait
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FedCmdr doesn't use it, but SFB and F&E both assign a "command rating" to each ship, designating the number of ships that may be in the battle fleet. The maximum rating is a 10, but there are a few "free" ships to go above that limit.

There have been several suggestions to build fleets around groups, and even groups around squadrons, in order to get a massive number of ships (50+ per side) on the board. These idea do not fit into Star Fleet Universe and have been disapproved every time they come up.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
JohnDDW
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the proper context of this is that I'm only talking about "ACTA:SF" which does use squadrons, and the only limit on how many ships you use is the points you choose. (and which is why I posted in the ACTA section)

The base rules for squads in ACTA is that you may only place ships into squads in games of 2,000 points or more. And you may only have three ships per squad.

The penalty of squads being that sure you have to move all of them at the same time, but the benefit is you fire weapons with all of them at the same time too, where normally you would only get to move/fire with one ship at a time before it goes back to your opponent.

I could go more over how ACTA uses the 'command' trait in the game, but would prefer dicussion about the alternative rule for the command trait as used in ACTA:SF
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've read ACTA:SF rules, and I forgot about that. I was thinking of the guy who wanted this very complex fleet-building system for Federation Admiral that would have allowed for an average of 35-50 ships per side in the battle zone.

Okay, so a squadron can only have three ships, which move/fire together. And you want to allow for more ships per squadron. Do I have that right? Given the smallish number of ships in the fleet, perhaps a dozen or so, I tend to think the number per squadron was limited to three for game balance reason. If you have five or six ships in a squadron, well, that's half your fleet moving together. Kind of defeats the alternating move/fire system in the game, doesn't it??

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternative "Command" Rule? Reply with quote

JohnDDW wrote:

#1(1) A ship with "command" trait allows a number of ships equal to its "labs" trait value to be in squadrons. (or labs/2 as #1b)

#2 A ship with "command"+# trait allows you to create # number squadrons from ships in your fleet.

#3 You are able to have any of your ships operate in squadrons if you have any non-crippled ships with the "command" trait

1) Fed CC, for example has Command+1 and 8 labs.
So you'll allow it to have squadrons of up to 8 ship squadrons? Ouch!
What about the other empires? Do they get 8 ship squadrons to compensate, or are they limited to their max rating based on number of Labs?
If so... then I'm always playing the Federation.
Or using he alternative... Labs/2, let's go back to the Fed CC - Squadrons of 4... that seems OK. But what if they are facing off against a Klingon C7 with 4 labs. Do they get squadrons of 2 ships (4 labs / 2)?

#2 This is better... typically you only have 1 maybe 2 squadrons in a 2,000 point fleet; although we regularly play a variant of Garth's scenario with 30+ ships per side. In order to get it in in under 6 hours at a convention - we break both sides into multiple (6 to 8 ) squadrons... but again, that is the exception - not the rule.
I'd prefer to see it X squadrons per side, where X is total amount of Command +X per side. In a big enough battle, we'll often take two ships with Command +1, just to prevent the loss of the Command trait from losing a single important ship.

#3 So... any number of ships in a squadron with an uncrippled command ship?
Then I'm taking a 2,000 point fleet (call it 12 ships). One has command - the other 11 are in a squadron. If I win initiative - 11 ships fire simultaneously at the other guys command ship. If it becomes crippled - I stay in squadron formation and win the game.
If I lose initiative - I use Maximum Warp Now! and all my ships survive.

Of the three - only 2 seems to be a viable possibility.
The other two are either slightly unbalanced (meaning one side gets larger squadrons) or wickedly unbalanced ( 1 have a command ship, you don't - all of my ships are in a squadron - yours aren't).

Just my two cents worth.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADB has no problem with players making up their own rules about how many ships can be on the board. If you pick a big fleet, pack lunch, and dinner, and keep the pizza delivery number on standby.

We just won't publish official rules on building massive fleets because the universe must be consistent. Two consenting opponents can do what they like regarding fleet size.

Does remind me of the guy who showed up for a tank battle "limited to the number of tank minis you own" and found out I outgunned and outnumbered him five to one because if he was using his entire collection so was I. He had a couple of composite battalions; I had an entire cohesive division.
JohnDDW
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
It's been a while since I've read ACTA:SF rules, and I forgot about that. I was thinking of the guy who wanted this very complex fleet-building system for Federation Admiral that would have allowed for an average of 35-50 ships per side in the battle zone.

Okay, so a squadron can only have three ships, which move/fire together. And you want to allow for more ships per squadron. Do I have that right? Given the smallish number of ships in the fleet, perhaps a dozen or so, I tend to think the number per squadron was limited to three for game balance reason. If you have five or six ships in a squadron, well, that's half your fleet moving together. Kind of defeats the alternating move/fire system in the game, doesn't it??

Well I was more thinking that, instead of only allowing squads in games of 2000 points of more, squads are unlocked by ships with the "command" trait instead. And the total number of ships who are squadded up is based on your command/labs, but still a max of three ships per squad.

Scoutdad wrote:
JohnDDW wrote:

1) Fed CC, for example has Command+1 and 8 labs.
So you'll allow it to have squadrons of up to 8 ship squadrons? Ouch!
What about the other empires? Do they get 8 ship squadrons to compensate, or are they limited to their max rating based on number of Labs?
If so... then I'm always playing the Federation.
Or using he alternative... Labs/2, let's go back to the Fed CC - Squadrons of 4... that seems OK. But what if they are facing off against a Klingon C7 with 4 labs. Do they get squadrons of 2 ships (4 labs / 2)?

#2 This is better... typically you only have 1 maybe 2 squadrons in a 2,000 point fleet; although we regularly play a variant of Garth's scenario with 30+ ships per side. In order to get it in in under 6 hours at a convention - we break both sides into multiple (6 to 8 ) squadrons... but again, that is the exception - not the rule.
I'd prefer to see it X squadrons per side, where X is total amount of Command +X per side. In a big enough battle, we'll often take two ships with Command +1, just to prevent the loss of the Command trait from losing a single important ship.

#3 So... any number of ships in a squadron with an uncrippled command ship?
Then I'm taking a 2,000 point fleet (call it 12 ships). One has command - the other 11 are in a squadron. If I win initiative - 11 ships fire simultaneously at the other guys command ship. If it becomes crippled - I stay in squadron formation and win the game.
If I lose initiative - I use Maximum Warp Now! and all my ships survive.

Of the three - only 2 seems to be a viable possibility.
The other two are either slightly unbalanced (meaning one side gets larger squadrons) or wickedly unbalanced ( 1 have a command ship, you don't - all of my ships are in a squadron - yours aren't).

Just my two cents worth.

#1 I was thinking there'd still be a limit of 3 ships per squad, just that labs determines how many ships total can be squadded up from ships that have command, being that the ship is outfitted with command equipment but can still only manage C&C for a total number of ships equal to its lab store, or lab/2.

#2 you have it right with this one.

#3 just kinda means that instead of needing 2,000 points to use squads, you just need a ship with the command trait to use squads, still the same 3 ships per squad, etc.
Myrm
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would raise one note here. The use of squadrons for moving and firing crops up in other Call to Arms engine based games and it really doesn't cause heavy issues on initiative and those effects get bigger the larger the disparity in manoeuvre units on the table. The main one being the initiative sink which is very artificial and can skew games.

Now this was particularly relevant in the B5 version, where the extreme cases was people using Drazi fleets that were outnumbered and how essentially the chances of getting any of their main guns firing was limited. These ships used 'Boresight' tagged weapons where you had to line up on the target and so initiative sinks let you skip your vessels out of harms way. OK extreme case and unlikely to be an issue in SFU even with the most restricted fire arc weapon I know - the mauler.

However in regular fleet battles the initiative sink lets you hold back movement of important ships until the other side has run out of move choices and then freely zip around even if you lost initiative. Squadrons make that more obvious and more extreme the more often they are used and the bigger they get. Initiative should be a handy bonus not a manipulatable nothing nor a game winner.

Sorry, that's along way to say that I wouldn't go too far down a rabbit hole of designing big squadron rules if the nature of the game makes them undesirable.

If you plan a big game and want such rules to speed things up that is a good idea but you need to then organise the fleets such that they don't create this effect - so at that point I would say simply squadron up what seems good and what works for the game on an ad hoc basis.
JohnDDW
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that movement is important and initiative sinking is one way to try and out-maneuver your opponent by keeping more important ships out of harms way.

But having a squad unload three ships of firepower at the same time rather than firing one at a time sure can make the difference, and reduce the number of initiative sinks your opponent has to play with. Especially if its three decloaking ships with a lot of plasma to unload.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: