Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESG - how to allocate damage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimmshade
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: ESG - how to allocate damage Reply with quote

The ESG rules are really great in their simplicity, but when using them on multiple enemy ships I'm not certain I'm using them correctly.

The rules say damage is equally divided among all ships in same space first. If these are all destroyed, then all ships in adjacent spaces next.
The rules also say that the ESG damage is added to a volley from the Lyran ship using the weapon.

Here's my question:
If there is only one ship in the same space, and it's destroyed in a volley that includes an ESG, how do I know how much ESG damage carries over to the adjacent enemies? Should I just assume all remaining damage is from the ESG and carry it over?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely none.

Remember, that by rule (1E2d), all weapons fire in the Offensive Direct-Fire Phase must be completely allocated before any dice are rolled. So, for a target to be considered destroyed so that the remaining damage can be applied to an adjacent hex, that target has to be destroyed by the ESG. Practically, that means the only targets you will get past in a single impulse are drones and shuttles.

So, in your case, the ship isn't going to be destroyed by the ESG alone, so it's damage is just rolled into the volley of the other weapons fire on that ship. Any excess damage isn't "ESG damage"; it is just undifferentiated damage that is lost by accidentally over killing the target ship.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Grimmshade
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks man! That's actually the way we played it when the question arose yesterday.

Also, ESG's can really hurt!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: