Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Flivvers: Hoverwarp similator empire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: The Flivvers: Hoverwarp similator empire Reply with quote

Here's a topic for them.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zamboni: I know exactly which picture was used for the Flivvers. I have a Flivver cruiser model somewhere - if I can't find it I can reproduce the sketch from memory.

Scharwenka: I think I had that image at one point too...some Army Hovercraft or something right? (He posted a 3d he had done of the Flivver CA)

Zamboni: Four lift fans, one in each corner. Bubble canopy in the center. Rotary magazines on either side of cockpit, thicker than the body and facing forward like a revolver. The anti-tank missiles fire forward over the top of the front fans. I can see the picture in my mind, but have never been able to find it online.

Bolo: Recall historical documentaries talking about those type vehicles from 50s testing. Though I only recall any with missiles racks in drawings where artists guessed at final form or on some type of Sci-Fi book cover.

Zamboni: It's out of a Popular Mechanics or Popular Science type magazine. I think it was a black and white line drawing. Pure speculation of a military version of the Moller air car.

Steve Cole: I saw the picture (full page full art, printed B&W) in a book printed in the 50s about the future of war. I have no idea where the book is but there are 3000 or more books in my house. Maybe it was reprinted in Popular science but that's not where I saw it. I haven't seen it in 40 years but my memory is of the rockets firing along each side of the ship, not over the fans.
Scharwenka
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SVC, didn't mean to derail the other topic! Smile
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about it. Besides, you would never have commented on the Flivver had I not brought them up.

We're all good.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Zamboni
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A book would explain why I've never been able to find the picture. My Google-Fu usually doesn't fail me like this.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve!

Also, everyone, please note that it will take time before the Flivver can even be approached. Most likely any Qari work has to be done first (and others before the Qari), and only after that could they be done. So, don't expect anything soon.

However, discussion what they were based on, how they should look, what we would like to see, and those things are all fair game at any point.

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, here's Rags's post with the links and picture ...
Rags wrote:
I am very interested to see how the miniatures print with the separate turret piece. I have been giving some thought to how a tug miniature can be made for Shapeways with the option of either a cargo pod or battle pod, which has similar challenges to printing the separate turret. My current thought is to print the tug with the appropriate pod attached with two or three short lengths of sprue that are thick enough to survive the process for polished WSF if necessary.

Going off topic from the Qari for a moment, I needed to refresh my memory on the Flivvers, and while rereading SVC's designer's note for them I got curious about the half remembered concept art for a n early 1960's hover tank that he described as the inspiration. I didn't have any luck finding a copy of the concept art, but based on SVC's description (US Army markings, flat square machine, fighter jet style cockpit, rotary missile launcher and four lift engines) I suspect the fictional hover tank took a lot of inspiration from the smaller P-GEM research vehicle. http://www.oobject.com/18-hovercraft-designs/princeton-p-gem-hovercraft/3538/

There are a few more photographs on pages 22 and 26 of this report. http://www.dtic.mil/get-tr-doc/pdf?AD=AD0256857 (1.6MB)

Bring things back slightly more towards the Qari, they were the first thing I thought of when I saw a picture of Object 760, a Soviet hovercraft from the early 1960's used to evaluate the idea of hover tanks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: