Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scouts in KA using existing rules

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Scouts in KA using existing rules Reply with quote

I've been converting FC ships to Klingon Armada, and while lamenting the lack of electronic warfare rules in Admiralty Edition(I don't do house rules), it occurred to me that while Starmada may not be able to represent all of the functions of special sensors, it can cover a fair number of them. Since most(all?) scouts mount multiple special sensors, it's just a matter of assigning existing equipment to the ship to represent the various functions of these sensors. Here are my initial thoughts:

The first sensor box gives the ship Countermeasures. This represents defensive jamming, probably the highest priority for a reconnaissance vessel that has found itself in a firefight.

The second and third boxes give the ship fire control. This represents using counter-jamming to improve your own shots. It'll only help the scout's own fire, but we can't have evening. Note that this needs two boxes, the second one represents the sensors that will be blinded when you start shooting.

If the ship carries more drones/shuttles than it can launch in a single Starmada turn, the fourth sensor box gives it Launch Tubes to represent the ability to control extra seeking weapons.

Any sensor boxes past this are assigned to the ship as anti-fighter weapons(in the same manner as tractor beams were converted), to represent breaking the lock-on of various seekers. This would technically give scouts in Armada the ability to affect plasma torpedoes and true fighters...but I'm fine with that. It balances out the fact that Armada doesn't allow scouts to defend or assist other ships, only itself. Think of it as using jamming to protect the target of said torpedoes.

Priorities can be shifted around based on a vessel's intended role. For example, the Fed Drone Cruiser would likely get Launch Tubes first and then work its way down the list, while ships meant to be fleet EW boats first and actual scouts second probably would not get Countermeasures with their first box.

Thoughts?
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help if I knew the basics of the EW rules in SFB...

Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FedCom rules(or at least the ones I based my thoughts off of) can be found in Communique #28.

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/Commanders%20Circle/comm-25-36.shtml
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel, drop me an email and I'll get you the rules, although I thought they were in one of the products I sent earlier.

We also need to talk about unity. There was a glitch but I can solve it in a minute after we talk.
Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now those are comments to make players quiver with antici...

(By the way, if the end results are easy to port back to Admiralty? That I'll buy Unity books for. Cool )

...DARY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: