Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unity?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Unity? Reply with quote

I saw something mentioned in the most recent Hailing Frequencies about a Starmada Unity. What is it? A new edition of the game or something?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mentioned in the Communique.

Unity is a new edition of Starmada that unites and replaces Admiralty and Nova. There won't be any more Admiralty or Nova books, just Unity.

Hold on a second, we don't expect you to buy another new edition of Star Fleet Starmada.

Anyone who bought a PDF of any Star Fleet Universe Admiralty of Nova book will find the new unity version of that book in their updated download PDF archive. So if you bought Klingon Armada Nova you'll get Klingon Armada Unity for free the next time you update your download.

Anyone who bought a hard copy Nova or Admiral Star Fleet book from ADB or a store will be sent a PDF of the new Unity book on request.

So everybody gets a free upgrade/switchover to Starmada Unity.
Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's...annoying? Disappointing? Infuriating? One/all of those.

I finally got my group really interested in Admiralty, and support is being discontinued?

No. I'm staying with AE. Much as I wish you guys(and the folks at MJ12) weren't doing this, they're your companies not mine, and complaining won't help anything. I'll probably buy the new stuff anyway, but only so I can convert it back to Admiralty. About the only real difference is that if my circumstances change and I can actually attend a convention, I still won't be playing any of the games.

Will the download update also be there for people who bought their stuff before the store changed, or who bought it from MJ12, or DriveThruRPG?

How long will the paper AE books remain in the online store? I've got pdfs galore, but have long been planning to get them in physical form as well. And I sill have yet to find anyone willing to trade me an AE Klingon Armada for the Nova one I was accidentally given as a gift.

Does this affect the odds of us getting a corrected version of the Starmada Log?
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(NOTE: "We" in this post refers to Majestic Twelve Games; I do not presume to speak for ADB.)

I certainly understand your reaction, but to be blunt, you've precisely articulated the need for Unity. (See what we did there? Smile )

Over the history of Starmada, a new edition has come out every 4-5 years. Each time the game was expanded and improved upon, yet nothing was ever "invalidated" because players were all using self-designed ships and customized backgrounds. The release of a new edition meant going back and improving upon those designs -- the prospect of which was generally met with excitement.

Then the Star Fleet Universe deal came along, which was brilliant! It brought Starmada to a new audience, and gave me the chance to mess around in a setting I have always admired.

In 2012, Nova happened. I failed to appreciate what the existence of the SFU products meant to the existing cycle -- suddenly, a new edition meant a lot of players felt their existing materials were "invalid". Chalk it up to my inexperience with the "real world" of game production. No longer was Starmada merely a player-driven collective effort; it had the honor but also the responsibility that goes along with being attached to one of the most-beloved universes in science fiction.

At ADB's urging, I continued producing new books in both editions. (That's not a complaint; I understand and agree with the decision completely.) However, after five years, continuing support for both is simply unrealistic. The player base remains split, which affects not only Star Fleet Armada customers but also hampers the production of non-SFU material. In a word, we were stuck.

About a year ago, I began working on a "crossover" product which would allow Admiralty and Nova designs to be used against each other in the same game. After working on that for a bit, I realized that with only minor revisions to the Nova starship displays (which I was planning to introduce anyway because some players felt the game had gone too far into abstraction) you essentially had a single, unified rules set. Thus, the idea for Unity was born.

If your group likes Admiralty, they will love Unity. There are only a couple differences between the two. Further, the Admiralty ships are playable in the new edition of the game. OTOH, the new Unity ships have been re-designed to more accurately reflect the source material.

Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mj12games wrote:
Further, the Admiralty ships are playable in the new edition of the game with only a couple of tweaks.

Will existing AE sheets be usable in this system? I do also have a lot of converted ships from other settings, to the point that converting them(or even copying them over to a new spreadsheet) represents weeks or even months of work for me. Unlike the players you spoke to, this does not excite me, but fills me with enough dread as to justify avoiding the new system entirely. I want to PLAY Starmada, not redo all the work I went through to prepare for previous games.
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdo wrote:
Will existing AE sheets be usable in this system?

Yes. If you've got certain types of equipment, you might need to make a couple notes on the sheet (e.g. the number of anti-fighter batteries is cut in half), and customized fighter flights aren't currently supported, but in general, Admiralty sheets can be used as-is. Nova sheets will need a little tweaking, but you can use either (or both) with Unity.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, guys? We spent a lot of behind-the-scenes time making sure that Unity would SOLVE problems not create them.
Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mj12games wrote:
Weirdo wrote:
Will existing AE sheets be usable in this system?

Yes. If you've got certain types of equipment, you might need to make a couple notes on the sheet (e.g. the number of anti-fighter batteries is cut in half), and customized fighter flights aren't currently supported, but in general, Admiralty sheets can be used as-is. Nova sheets will need a little tweaking, but you can use either (or both) with Unity.

That makes me feel much better, thanks!

Will Unity sheets be usable in Admiralty?
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdo wrote:
Will Unity sheets be usable in Admiralty?

Yes. But you'll need to be familiar with the Unity rules to do so.

As one example, in Admiralty damage to weapons is governed by the "weapon damage chart": roll a die each time a weapon hit is scored, and lose one weapon from the indicated battery/batteries.

In Unity, damage to weapons is governed by the "weapons track": check off one box each time a weapon hit is scored, and select the appropriate number of weapons as losses (e.g. if the number on the track drops from 10 to 8, damage 2 weapons). Similar, but different (and, IMHO, more streamlined -- one less die roll required).

So, you could use the Unity sheet with the Admiralty rules, but you'll need to know how to resolve weapon hits (since the Unity sheet doesn't have a weapon damage chart).

Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, I have but two requests for Unity books:

1: Please put all the data on the record sheet. In my Starfleet Armada pdfs, I had to go in and manually put the data for drones, shuttles, plasma torpedoes, etc, so that we wouldn't have to be constantly referring back to the book every time one was used. And DriveThruRPG secures their files, so I didn't even have that option on things I bought from there.

2: Please put all the record sheets upright. I know it makes sense to rotate them in the printed book, but it makes looking at the sheets very difficult(and painful for my neck) on a computer, and almost impossible on a tablet or e-reader that will keep rotating the page every time you try and turn the device for easy reading. As above, I was able to fix this myself on some of my pdfs, but not on the ones from DriveThruRPG.

Thanks!
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Request (1) is already done.

Request (2) will be taken under advisement.

Garydee
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second having portrait style record sheets. Those SFU Admiralty landscape sheets were a pain to look at on a computer.
mj12games
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can take a look at formatting options, but my gut reaction is that for printing purposes landscape is going to remain the best option. Simply too much wasted space any other way.

However, I believe it is a small matter to format the PDF so that the displays are viewed "right side up" on the computer screen.

Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdo wrote:
Will the download update also be there for people who bought their stuff before the store changed, or who bought it from MJ12, or DriveThruRPG?

How long will the paper AE books remain in the online store? I've got pdfs galore, but have long been planning to get them in physical form as well. And I sill have yet to find anyone willing to trade me an AE Klingon Armada for the Nova one I was accidentally given as a gift.

Does this affect the odds of us getting a corrected version of the Starmada Log?

Any update on these questions?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one don't have a problem with putting both portrait and landscape versions of the charts in the PDF download.

QUESTION ASKED
ANSWER
I am from ADB and can only answer about the Star Fleet books. The existing admiralty/nova books on DT and W23 will be replaced with Unity (although Jean was thinking to maybe stack the two books so you still get the original one, you might tell her your preference.) Did anybody buy hard copy Star Fleet books from MJ12? (I really don't know, not in that side of things.) If so, you can get the free PDF. I am not sure what "store changed" in this context.

QUESTION ASKED
ANSWER
Since they are print on demand there is no real reason they cannot remain forever, except that we dont want to confuse customers in future. As noted, because they are POD we can print one for you in 2027 if you want. If it's not on the store when you want it, just email Leanna (sales@StarFleetGames.com) and she'll figure out how to trick the cart for you.

QUESTION ASKED
ANSWER
I am not sure that "corrected" is the proper word here. So far as I know, all of that stuff will eventually be rolled into future products, so I'm not sure if there is a need for an updated version, but if Daniel wants to whip one up we'll certainly make it available. (ADB cannot do it; we aren't qualified to do rules or ships for his game system. It's not that his system is hard to understand, we're just busy doing our own systems.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starmada and Klingon Armada All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: