Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battlegroup Toronto SFB Tournament

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Battlegroup Toronto SFB Tournament Reply with quote

Battlegroup Toronto SFB Tournament - July 8th, 9th, 10th 2016

When:

Friday, July 8th:11am-10pm
Saturday, July 9th: 11am-7pm
Sunday, July 10th: 11am-6pm

Where: Dueling Grounds, Basement, 1193 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario, M6H1N4

Who: All SFB players, of all skill levels, are welcome.

Cost: Free

Why: A handful of players in Toronto want some dedicated, over-the-board SFB.

This will be a fun, casual tournament. A format will be determined once we have a

confirmed list of players.

Details:

We will be playing in the Dueling Grounds basement.
This is an inner-city location so there are lots of places to eat in the neighborhood.

The game store does not allow food in the gaming area--drinks are fine.

Players are asked to bring their own playing equipment, tournament counters, SSDs and

EAFs.

RSVPs:
If you'd like to join us, please post here or contact me at sebastian.palozzi@gmail.com

Please also post with questions or comments.

Roll Call:

Sebastian Palozzi
Gregg Henry
Art Trotman
Kosta Mich
Bradley Jones
Fred Werenich
Leslie Robinson (& son)

Directions & Parking:

By subway: The gaming store is located within walking distance of both the Dufferin and

the Lansdowne subway stations on the Bloor-Danforth subway line.
Green-P parking is close by.
Some street parking is available but is limited.
The game store is a short walk from the Dufferin Mall.

No Accommodations Are Provided

If you're joining us, please reply to sebastian.palozzi@gmail.com
Walk-ins welcome.
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: SFB Tournament Update Reply with quote

SFB Is Alive and Well in Toronto!

Sunday, July 10th was the final day of the First Annual Battlegroup Toronto SFB Tournament. Kosta Michalopoulos won the tournament. His name is being engraved on our new tournament trophy.

We had a total of 10 players who took part. The Final List of Participants was:

Art Trotman (Klingon D7CT)
Brad Jones (Seltorian TCA)
Erik (Fed TCC)
Fred Werenich(Andromedan Krait)
Gregg Henry (Archeo-Tholean TCC)
Kosta Michalopoulos (Gorn TCC)
Leslie Richardson (ISC T-CA)
Lex (WYN AxBC)
Nick Samaras (Neo-Tholian T-CA)
Sebastian (Sam) Palozzi (WYN TCA)(Organizer)

TOURNAMENT WINNER

Kosta flew the Gorn for three wins over the WYN GBS, Andromedan and Seltorian.
Throughout the tournament Kosta played patient, rock-steady SFB; a merciless, cold-blooded approach worthy of the lizards.

BEST GAME

This is a hard decision to make and I should have consulted with the rest of the group but I forgot to do so (sorry). Nobody walked away from a fight so there were a lot of good games but I think the Neo-Tholian Archeo-Tholean match-up gets the nod. It looked like it would be a fight bogged down with lots of web that would wet-blanket the whole thing but Nick and Gregg fought to the bitter end and after the last die was rolled the SSDs for both ships were two seriously damaged ships. Gregg got the win but both players deserve applause for the effort.

Runner up for this has to go to either of Leslie's two ISC games. I wasn't able to watch closely but with two clear wins in two games played the ISC made a very strong impression on all of us. I wish I had more time to review with Leslie and we look forward to his next visit.

IRON-MAN AWARD

The Iron-man award goes to Brad Jones. If anybody had reason to throw dice across the room in frustration it would be Brad but no dice were thrown and Brad was a gentlemen throughout. His perseverance finally paid off in Sunday's mashup where he won first place with his Seltorian.
Brad was also the most-traveled player coming in from Barrie, Ontario for the event.

QUOTABLE MOMENT #1:

Sam: "Fred , how'd you do so well with that Andromedan? I thought that ship was supposed to suck."
Fred: "I didn't play the ship. I played you."

QUOTABLE MOMENT #2:

Gregg to Any Player on Various Occasions: " I've hurt you. And I wish to go on hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me. Marooned for all eternity in the centre of a dead planet..buried alive (voice drops to a menacing whisper)...buried alive."

HIGHLIGHTS

*Younger players Erik and Lex. Lex, at age 13, has a superb knowledge of SFB and of the ships in the game and is proof positive that SFB has an exciting future.

*We found new friends in the Greater Toronto Area who are interested in playing SFB with Battlegroup Toronto. I can't underestimate the positive impact of bringing new players into a gaming group. Battlegroup Toronto, a group of four players, has been playing together for about 1.5 years and as much fun as that's been the introduction of new players really shook things up.

*Seeing Fred flying the Krait as well as he did shook up our little group and opened up a whole new chapter of SFB for us. Thanks Fred.

*At the end of each day we left the tournament with that buzzing feeling in the head that tells you that you've left it all on the board. It's hard to believe that pushing counters on a map could be this demanding.

THANK YOU

Special thanks to Dueling Grounds and owner Wayne. Thanks to Skye and the rest of the Dueling Grounds staff. Wayne obviously has a passion for games and it shows in the way the business is run. If you're in the Toronto area be sure to visit.

Thank you to ADB, Jean, Leanna and whoever is looking after Starlist--a great tool for finding players.

A special thanks to our good friend Art Trotman who overcomes obstacles that would scare the pants off of most of us to support this group. Art is a true aficionado of the SFU. His knowledge and experience elevate the quality of any event he attends.

Thank you Dave Cheng. The idea for this tournament came to us after attending the Council of Five Nations tournament in Schenectady, NY last year. We had a fantastic time at the C5N thanks in large part to Dave's hospitality and we just couldn't wait a year to have that much fun again.

Thanks to friends who took the time to drop by.

Pictures are here: http://sebastian380.blogspot.ca/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: