Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Same hex firing arcs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fizzlefist
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:03 am    Post subject: Same hex firing arcs Reply with quote

Hello, new player here. I've searched through the rulebook and the web but haven't found the answer for this question yet, so apologies if I simply missed it.

I picked up Klingon Border last month and finally got a friend to try it out with me yesterday in a Klingon Frigate vs Fed Frigate duel and we both had a blast. One little issue cropped up that I'd like to clarify regarding same hex combat.

At one point in our duel, we both ended an impulse with our ships in the same hex. Now rule 3C6d makes it quite clear on which shield takes hits based on which ship entered the hex last. What I wasn't able to find in the rulebook is what about weapon firing arcs?

Since I couldn't find any firm answers at first glance, we went ahead and played out the impulse as though all weapons can come to bear and we promptly blew the tar out of each other. While that's fun and all, that just doesn't seem quite right to me.

Could someone clarify if that was actually the correct thing to do, or if it's based on last ship entry orientation as shields are.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firing arcs relate to what shield is facing your opponent.
Basically, the shield he/she will hit you on.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weapons arcs don't change just because you are in the same hex. The rules don't have that as a special exception.

So, if you know exactly what shield the opposing ship is off of, you will automatically know which weapons bear. That is the same whether you are in different hexes or in the same hex.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
fizzlefist
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, great. Thanks for the replies!
Scharwenka
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing our group did was have a larger hex (made from cardboard or some such) that we would transfer multiple ships from a single hex onto, coming in at the edge from where they did on the large map. That way it was an easier visual to see orientation and it didn't take too much time away by moving them on and off the map.
mdauben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scharwenka wrote:
One thing our group did was have a larger hex (made from cardboard or some such) that we would transfer multiple ships from a single hex onto, coming in at the edge from where they did on the large map. That way it was an easier visual to see orientation and it didn't take too much time away by moving them on and off the map.

Thats a great idea! Consider it stolen... Wink

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: