Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rules Issue?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panda21
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Rules Issue? Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I found an issue or if I don't understand something. In the example of play, there is a paragraph that says:

The results are 3, 4, 2, 5,
6, and 5. With an accurate +2 modifier all six phasers hit and they are
well inside the Kill Zone range of 8
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The example is correct. Those die rolls with the +2 for Accuracy are actually 5, 6, 4, 7, 8 & 7 and anything 4 or greater hits so all the phasers hit.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Panda21
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear I typed more than this, not sure what happened.

My actual question is that it goes on to say that this causes 12 points of damage, 2 of which bypass the shields.

I would think it is only 1 to bypass the shields as there is only 1 natural six.

Sorry for the confusion.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found from experience that certain symbols cause this software to ignore all text thereafter.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I occasionally highlight something when I don't mean to,
then when I type my next line/thought,
it types over it.
Don't always catch it before I post (not just here).
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panda21 wrote:
I swear I typed more than this, not sure what happened.

My actual question is that it goes on to say that this causes 12 points of damage, 2 of which bypass the shields.

I would think it is only 1 to bypass the shields as there is only 1 natural six.

Sorry for the confusion.

The hit from the Natural Six goes through but because it was inside the Kill Zone that hit takes on the Multihit trait causing 2 burn through hits.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal is correct.
Inside the Kill Zone, Phasers gain the Multihit-2 trait.
The natural 6 causes 2 hits, both of which are rolled on the Damage Table to see their effects.
tlee33
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: A couple questions regarding new rules Reply with quote

In Boost Energy to Shields, a ship with less than 10 starting shields can add 1d3 shields. Is this correct or it should be 1d6?

Under admin shuttles, it says each shuttle can carry 2 marines, but the table says 1. Which is correct? (According to the old rules, it was 1)
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Marines per shuttle. I need a page number if you want that fixed.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A couple questions regarding new rules Reply with quote

tlee33 wrote:
In Boost Energy to Shields, a ship with less than 10 starting shields can add 1d3 shields. Is this correct or it should be 1d6?

1D3 is correct.
Under version 1 rules, a ship with a starting shield score less than 10 couldn't even use this Special Action.
We first considered D6, but take a look at the Armed Priority Transport [APT] with only 5 shields to start with. Giving it the ability to potentially boost its shields by 6 points just seemed a bit wrong. Hence, 1D3 points.

Quote:
Under admin shuttles, it says each shuttle can carry 2 marines, but the table says 1. Which is correct? (According to the old rules, it was 1)

2 Marines is correct. When Mongoose did version 1, they arbitrarily cut the number of marines in half to more closely resemble their other games.
We've restored the number of Marines to the actual number od squads present. This is anticipation of the Book 2 rules for hand-to-hand combat, capturing ships, etc. As a part of the revision, we restored the transport capacity of the admin shuttle to 2 full marine squads.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
2 Marines per shuttle. I need a page number if you want that fixed.

Steve, it's already been reported on the BBS.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad,

Happy New Year to you! Lang may yer lum reek as we say back home.

Finally got a chance to sit and read through the ACTA:SF rules revision - good job by the way.

I have a couple of quick questions. The first concerns the Cargo trait. The rules say "The owner of the ship can choose to take as much damage as he desires on cargo" and then specifies that you have to take one damage and all the criticals on the ship. Does damage taken against the cargo reduce the cargo score? E.g. if I choose to take 4 hits from a volley on the cargo of a small freighter is the cargo trait reduced from 12 to 8? This would infer that eventually when the cargo score hits zero, I can no longer take hits on cargo.

Second question relates to Romulan conversions of Klingon ships. The KF5R is based on the same hull as the F5. However, I note the damage/critical scores are lower for the Romulan ships. Same for the KR and D6. For the KRC and D7C, the Romulan ship has a higher rating. Are these correct?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky Scot wrote:
I have a couple of quick questions. The first concerns the Cargo trait. The rules say "The owner of the ship can choose to take as much damage as he desires on cargo" and then specifies that you have to take one damage and all the criticals on the ship. Does damage taken against the cargo reduce the cargo score? E.g. if I choose to take 4 hits from a volley on the cargo of a small freighter is the cargo trait reduced from 12 to 8? This would infer that eventually when the cargo score hits zero, I can no longer take hits on cargo.

No, not exactly. The cargo trait itself has no value associated with it.
If you have 12 cargo points, I assume you're referring to the Class One, small freighter with damage stats of:
6 / 2 + 12.
On my ship cards, that would be represented thusly:
6 total damage, 2 point threshold for crippled, plus 12 damage points for cargo.
[][][][]()() + [][][][][][][][][][][][]
If I took 4 hits to the cargo section, I would simply mark off 4 of the boxes after the plus sign, leaving me with 8 cargo points remaining. When they are all marked oof, I no longer have any cargo remaining to protect, or deliver, or to have stolen (depending on the scenario). I still have the cargo trait since there's this massive cargo pod having below my ship. It may be fill of holes, burning cargo, spilled liquids, and it may be venting gas and debris into space, but for the most part - the structure is still there.

Quote:
Second question relates to Romulan conversions of Klingon ships. The KF5R is based on the same hull as the F5. However, I note the damage/critical scores are lower for the Romulan ships. Same for the KR and D6. For the KRC and D7C, the Romulan ship has a higher rating. Are these correct?

Several of the system boxes where changed between the Klingon and the Romulan versions. Klingons use security systems and Romluans don't... Some systems are rearranged and some aren't.
The values for the Kestrels in book 1 are based on the actual box count of the actual ships in Federation Commander - and were checked by multiple people and should be right.
If you suspect something is wrong... count the boxes on teh Fed Comm ship card and see.
Total box count (minus armor) plus frame damage, divided by three.
Round the result up to the next nearest whole number and that's the damage score.
Divide that number by 3 and round down to the next nearest whole number to arrive at the Crippled threshold.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scoutdad - I think I had the cargo mostly right; you lose the cargo score, but not the trait.

I'll have a look at my FC cards when I get back to base camp from the beautiful New Forest in the south of England. From memory, the F5 and K5R should be the same as in Fed Cdr the changes are disruptors to plasma-F and a drone to a shuttle. Plus the K5R loses the ADD, which I guess might account for the difference.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the low-toner Ship Cards in the Commander's Circle, the D6 (by my count) has 89 total ship + frame boxes, the KR has 87, the F5 52, and the K5R 51. Divided by three and rounding up the result (and then dividing that number by three and rounding down) should bring the D6 to 30/10, the KR to 29/9, the F5 to 18/6, and the K5R to 17/5.

While I don't have the Ship Cards on hand, the D7L SSD in the 2014 Advanced Missions SSD book pdf (minus the security stations) comes to 99 ship + frame boxes (for a score of 33/11), while the KRL* SSD has 101 boxes (for a score of 34/11).

So all six ships should match the listings currently in revision C.

*Since the D7C has been re-named the D7L on account of its wartime refit, should the KRC be similarly re-designated as the KRL? (Prior to the B-refit of Y170, the KRC had G-torps in place of the KRL's Plasma-S launchers.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: