Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Praise for Tactics Manual
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Praise for Tactics Manual Reply with quote

I've just got my copy of the Tactics Manual and I have to say how impressed I am by it.

Pat Doyle has done a superb job of creating this book, which I actually believe is one of the most significant products in the entire FC range.

Not only does Mr. Doyle showcase tactics as such, he also goes into considerable depth in showing players how to develop their own tactics and how to plan for their games. This is a deep, deep work and is most impressive, both in terms of actual tactics and empire doctrines, and also in broader terms too - tactics in the context of general conflict as a whole. Peppered with quotations from famous generals and officers of history, this really is a masterful work.

Also impressive is how he includes contributions from other authors and humbly credits them for their input. I've only begun to dip into this book but I am most impressed by what I have seen so far. I'm really looking forward to reading it in depth over the coming weeks, and absorbing its lessons.

Thanks, Pat, for this book. It's a belter (that's a good thing) Wink

Tony Cutcliffe
Devon, UK
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, for a new player like myself let's me understand the pro and cons of the empires in the game
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very pleased with the Tactics Manual. Last night, I played a game in which I tried out an idea I got from the tactics manual, namely arming an Orion ship with ion cannon as option mounts. It works quite well, actually.

The Tactics Manual clearly was a labor of love. and no Fedcom player should be without one. Patrick Doyle has done an outstanding job. If you do not have one, get one. Honestly, I don't remember ever seeing a strategy guide for a game as good as this one. Thanks to Patrick, and to everyone who contributed.
Rog
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I found the tactics manual a good addition to my collection Very Happy .
Eric Lakin
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to read it, but the PDF isn't available yet.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me echo the praise being given to the FC Tactics Manual. My copy arrived today and I am highly impressed with it. Patrick has done a marvelous job with it.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Lakin wrote:

I was looking for this the other week as well on e23 or whatever is called. Its the sort of thing I'd rather have as a PDF, as I'm not likely to ever want to have it to hand mid game etc.
Eric Lakin
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
Eric Lakin wrote:

I was looking for this the other week as well on e23 or whatever is called. Its the sort of thing I'd rather have as a PDF, as I'm not likely to ever want to have it to hand mid game etc.

According to S.Cole on the other forum, it'll be available 90 days after the physical book. Meh.
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, Thanks for the kind words. I'm very glad you liked it. One of the main intents was to really help out new players so that they can get insights into the game as early as possible, but I hope there is enough there for more experienced players as well.

FC is really my favorite game ever. There were lots of contributors that either offered articles or let me share their ideas with everyone else. I really enjoyed writing this. When real life settles a little I hope we can get another online tournament going. Cheers all.

Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am looking forward to it being available on E-23 so I can get the book in color (I'm hoping in color anyway). I think Steve and Jean did a great job on the layout and the artwork in the book. All around, lots or people worked lots of hours to put this together.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unless I go back and arbitrarily color things there isn't a lot of color in the book. Some here and there, but not much.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have a local store that stocks ADB products anymore, so I, too, am waiting for the PDF version to come out.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean could tell you when the PDF will be done. I have no idea if it's next week, next month, or 2026. I just don't, and guessing only gets me in trouble. There are so many products that Jean is working to upload that the ones being done sooner get confused in my head with the ones being done later. I know SOMETHING was to be done 90 days after publication, but not what.
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Federation Commander Tactics Manual Is Now Available from Multiple Sources

"The only test is combat; the only valid result is victory."
-- Admiral Ardak Kumerian, Commander of the Klingon Red Fleet

The Federation Commander Tactics Manual is designed to create better players. Building on your understanding of the rules, key topics are explored and advice is given on how to take advantage of your knowledge. The book includes both broad tactical principles and specific step-by-step techniques and procedures.

The Tactics Manual includes how to plan your battle (and stick to a plan), analysis of each weapon and each empire, special types of units (battleships, bases), terrain of all types, and maneuvers of all types and when to use each one. Subjects covered include: firing arcs, shields, energy allocation, targeting, special sensors, damage control, suicide shuttles, Marines, transporters, tractor beams, and everything else. This book also includes a compilation of all Tactical Notes published to date in Captain's Log through #48.

The Federation Commander Tactics Manual is available as an ebook from

Warehouse 23: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/federation-commander-tactics-manual

DriveThru RPG: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/135341/Federation-Commander-Tactics-Manual

Wargame Vault: http://www.wargamevault.com/product/135341/Federation-Commander-Tactics-Manual

The Federation Commander Tactics Manual is also available in print from your local game store or directly from ADB: http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=4009&Category_Code=01
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jean, I'll pick one up at e-23!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: