Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Same-hex plasma launch question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Same-hex plasma launch question Reply with quote

A plasma torpedo has been launched in the same hex as its target, with the target facing directly towards the plasma, i.e. with the plasma off its #1 shield.

On the next movement sub-pulse, the target moves directly forwards one hex. I assume that the plasma impacts the #1 shield of its target, as the target tries to move 'through' it, is that correct? And the plasma does not have to HET and follow; that's the main issue.

I'm basing my assumption on the rule where if a seeking weapon and its target mutually cross a hexside going in opposite directions, the seeking weapon will hit.

What do you think?
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misread the situation --- gave bad info. Sad

Last edited by Bolo_MK_XL on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Ibekwe
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure. This...

"(4F2c) Same Hex: If a seeking weapon is
launched in the same hex as its target, it will not impact until the movement portion of the next impulse
(by which time the target may or may not have moved
out of the hex). See also (3C6d)."

...might suggest that (if the target ship is making speed 24+1) the ship moves *out* of the hex on sub-pulse one, and the torp then HETs and hits her shield #4.

Follow-up question. Do seeking weapons have to move straight ahead on their first hex of movement after launch? I always thought they did, but I can't find the rule and I now suspect that's baggage I'm carrying from SFB.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad, after reading it a couple times.
Read right over the Same Hex statement. Sad

Yes, the ship moves, then the Plasma Hets and Hits
the #4 Shield.

Guess it was too early in the morning when I saw the post.

Quote:
Do seeking weapons have to move straight ahead on their first hex of movement after launch?

Seeking weapons have a Turn Mode of 1, upon launch they have to satisfy that before they can Turn or Slip. Other than a HET to hit target, they have to move forward.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plasma hits the #4.

The ship moves, then the plasma moves its phase and impacts, you don't move 'through' each other in the same hex in that way.

The same with a drone or shuttle, you can move straight out and past it without getting hit even though you have gone 'through' it, and then escape it all together if it isn't moving as well. Plus shuttles can't HET so can't hit anyway in that case.

The must move 1 hex ahead before turning is covered in 2C3b.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting answers, and clearly not what I'd thought too. Thanks for your input, folks Very Happy

It's been too long since last I played this game..... Wink
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are after a hand wavium explanation, then just see it as the firing ship left it too late - the seeker needs a fraction of a second for its guidance system/propulsion to properly kick in after launch during which the target flew past, so when the plasma is ready to go (1/30th of a second later or whatever a subpulse represents) it has to acquire and HET round. Just like modern AAMs, they are least maneuverable just after launch - due to low speed and maximum mass.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me - thanks Lee Smile
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers given here are correct. If a plasma is launched in the same hex as the target ship, initially facing the ship's #1 shield, and speed 24+1 ship moves straight ahead on the first sub-pulse of the next impulse, the plasma will indeed HET and impact the target ship's #4 shield.

Note that the target ship has to be moving speed 24+1, or the plasma will hit the #1 shield on sub-pulse one (since the ship is still in the same hex as the plasma).

Lee's technobabble explanation is at least as good as anything I was going to come up with.

From a game mechanics point of view, this is different from the "move through" situation as the "move through" involves a ship moving into the hex of the plasma, not starting the sub-pulse in the same hex. And the "move through" does still apply to a just-launched plasma, too. So, for example, if the above ship was in an adjacent hex to the launched plasma (instead of the same hex) and then moved into the plasma's hex, the plasma would still impact before it moves.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: