Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paravian and Carnivon questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Paravian and Carnivon questions Reply with quote

Phaser damage on Quantum Wave Torpedoes (4JQ): It takes 5 points of damage to remove the splash element and 11 more to reduce the main element to zero (4JQ3f2). Is this damage all-or-nothing, or does it reduce the warhead pro-rata like a regular plasma torpedo? I get the impression that the QWT will remain at full strength until eliminated. Example: a QWT which has travelled for two impulses takes four points of phaser damage and impacts. Its damage is 1-5-1. If it had taken 1 more point of damage, it would be 0-5-0. If it had taken a total of 15 points, it would still be 0-5-0. One more point of damage and it would be destroyed. Is this correct?

Heel nippers (4HN): Which effects are cumulative? Example: A ship is hit by TWO heel nippers on the same impulse, triggering (4HN2c). Both nippers target the left engine. The effects are: it loses TWO boxes from the left engine, loses ONE hex of movement (because this is not cumulative), and turns ONCE (because the two hits to the left engine are not additive by (4HN2d)). Is this interpretation correct?

Death Bolts (4G3): Special Death Bolt Targeting (4G3D): When does the launching player decide the Death Bolt's special targeting? Is it at launch? Can this be changed? Is this public like all other information about seeking weapons?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Yes, the damage is all-or-nothing. So, a QWT with 4 points of damage is still full strength. A QWT with 15 points of damage still retains its main damage element and has only lost its splash.

2) You look to have it correctly understood. This is what the rule states. The first bullet point of (4HN2c) is cumulative, as there is nothing stating it isn't. The second bullet point is not cumulative as stated. The third bullet point is more fully explained in (4HN2d).

In (4HN2d) it says that the effects are not additive, so the fact that you hit the left engine twice means it can only be forced to turn once. Had you, for example, hit the left engine once and the right engine once, then the effect would have cancelled out, and there would have been no turn.

3) Yeah, this should have been clearer. The special targeting is declared at the time of launch. It can't be changed after launch. It is public like everything else in Federation Commander.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Jiraiya1969
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't aware there were FC rules for these races.

Where can they be found?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provisional rules (and sample Ship Cards) for Module C6's "lost empires" are in Captain's Log #48. There's a discussion thread over here if you have any thoughts on how they are shaping up so far.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to necro the thread but I too have some questions.

1) Disruptor Cannon: Does the Disruptor Cannon (DC) give the increased burnthrough against Power Absorber panels as in (3G2b)? I'm presuming they do, as the DC rules say that 'All rules for the Disruptor Cannon are the same as those for the disruptor bolt except where noted herein'. And the DC is a 'version of the disruptor bolt' according to the CL48 description. [Edit: This would make the DC a pretty potent weapon against the Andros, combining the crunch of a photon with the burnthrough of a disruptor - especially when used in overload mode. Shame the Carnivons weren't around in the Andromedan War...]

2) Death Bolts: Can they be reloaded in the same way as a drone rack can be?

3) Special Death Bolt Targeting: we have seen above that the target is declared at launch. But why would you want to target the Death Bolt (DB) on somewhere other than the target's hex? Is it so that you can move the DB more flexibly than a drone, i.e. rather than having a simple 'chase the target', it can do that but can also chase the hex in front if required? I see that if the DB is adjacent to the target, it simply attacks as a drone would.....so this means then that I can use effectively a lead pursuit of the target and then the DB can just kind-of switch targeting as soon as it arrives near its actual target ship? I just find the concept puzzling; perhaps an example would be in order?

4) Death Bolts and Plasma Torpedoes: (4GD2b) covers mutual destruction of DBs and Drones; also the effects of Anti-Drones. But plasma torpedoes are not mentioned. I assume, by applying the last sentence of (4GD2b), "Other weapons treat death bolts as drones", that (4F5c) still applies: " The impact of any drone or plasma torpedo on another drone will destroy that drone"? So a Plasma-D (or indeed any plasma torpedo) would destroy a DB - is that right?

5) Heel Nipper: Second bullet point in (4HN2d), "The target loses its next scheduled hex of movement.......This does not affect future acceleration paid for with energy". This might well have an obvious answer, but does this mean that the player affected by the Heel Nipper can simply cancel that movement loss by paying for another hex of movement? In other words, the target ship is not specifically prohibited from moving in that next scheduled movement sub-pulse, it's just that it will have to pay [for that hex again] if it does indeed wish to move?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will leave those to Mike but (2) yes and (3) it allows you to hit a non-facing shield if you're clever.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an official answer, just my understanding...

4) Yes, a plasma-D would take out a Death Bolt.

5) Yes, I think that paying for acceleration would cancel the lost hex of movement. But AFAIK you can only accelerate once per impulse, so even if you pay to accelerate you will not be moving faster than your Baseline Speed in the next impulse.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Kang's questions:
1) As the rules are currently written, yes, the disruptor cannon gets the PA panel burn through. Do note that if this is overpowered, I can easily see it as something that gets adjusted. But, as it stands now, yes, disruptor cannons get the disruptor burn through.

2) Yes. They are reloaded just like any other rack weapon (e.g. drones or Pl-D).

3) The point is to allow a little more flexibilty so that you can try to hit a non-facing shield (as Steve notes).

4) Rule (4GD2b) explains. There is a special rule for anti-drones (roll 1D6 and double for damage). There is no special change for the effects of (4F5c), so any seeking weapon that impacts a death bolt will destroy the death bolt. And, of course, any direct fire weapon (except anti-drones) will damage death bolts normally. The only weapon system with a special rule is anti-drones.

5) [CHANGED] I read the rule (4HN2c) wrong. See message below ...

Last edited by mjwest on Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have missed some expansion, none of this sounds familiar to me.

But these heel nippers sound odd. If Kang's quote earlier is correct ("This does not affect future acceleration paid for with energy"), and from what MWest appears to be implying then you have some interesting situations:

Speed 0. You are not affected as there is no movement except that paid for by acceleration. So a speed 0 ship can be under the effect of heel nippers and still move 8 hexes?

Speed 24: Acceleration gives you a move on sub pulse 1, so even though the plasma at range 0 will get you, you will get a sub-pulse 1 move and be able to turn and change shield, before losing sub-pulse 2 movement?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New answer to #5. My first answer (since deleted) was wrong.

Rule (4HN2c), in the second bullet point, specifically states that the "next schedule hex of movement" is lost irrespective of future acceleration. Therefore, the hex of movement lost is the first sub-pulse of movement that would occur if no acceleration were to have occurred.

That means Lee's observation about plasma is correct. Actually, both observations are correct.

Again, these are playtest rules. If something doesn't work, let's playtest it and fix it.

Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed let's. Also, reading the rules and finding loopholes (however unintentionally) is also constructive, I would think.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee, the rules are in Captain's Log #48, p.44+
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get Capt Log. Almost anything else to do with FC, but not that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: