Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappointment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Burning Chrome
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Disappointment Reply with quote

What official ship has ever disappointed you once you got your hands on the data and SSD?

To clarify, you heard SFB R# was due out and it included ship whatever and you were eagerly antici.............pating picking up the product.

You purchase it, rip protective plastic asunder and then, laughing maniacally as you grab both books, opening rule and SSD books to the proper pages simultaneously... thinking/drooling/planning on how to utilize this beauty to thrash the enemies of your empire...yes, now they shall pay!

ONCE MORE THE GALAXY SHALL TREMBLE AT THE MIGHT OF THE KLI...wah?...gon....empire...no...wait....why....awwww.

For me, it is the E7D. It is not bad as it is, but doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, especially when considering its ship description. I was hoping for more of a direct combat version like the D7D, but without the flaws of that design.

What I had envisioned had maintained the 2 Disruptors on the center engine and 4 drone racks, keeping the ADDs and everything else as it is on the E7D.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine came with an early version of SFB, though this ship is in FC as well.

It was the original Federation dreadnought (the Franz Joseph). It turned out to be little more than a slow, uprated heavy cruiser.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was the Kzinti Medium Cruiser.

This is sooo COOL! Look at all this stuff...hey, wait! What happened to the L/R arcs on the disruptors?

Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was the Fed DDF. I thought by giving up photons it would gain phasers, but sadly not Sad
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was the Kzinti Medium Cruiser in FedCom as well. It lost the ability to control 12 drones at once in the conversion from SFB. Double drone control was one of the things that really set it apart and gave it some teeth (especially since the Kzinti are a drone using empire).

Garrett
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'm doubly disappointed. Didn't realize it could control 12 drones in SFB.

Although, overall, I do miss the C-racks. Understand why they're not in FC, but still miss 'em

storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. didn't realise it had 12 drone control in SFB. That would make it a very nice ship in FC
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Kzinti Medium Cruiser always had FA disruptors. But the loss of double drone control really hurt it in the conversion from SFB to FedCom. Having only three heavy weapons (as compared to most other empires' medium or war cruisers having four heavy weapons) was made up for with double drone control, which also carried over to all the variants of the Kzinti Medium Cruiser.

Actually, it is such a huge change for this ship and the way it was intended to be operated, that I really thought it was an honest mistake during the conversion process. I seem to recall bringing this up once quite awhile ago and learning it was intentional (although I still disagree with that decision, heh). Smile Oh well. In local friendly games, we usually have a house rule that gives it double drone control and it works out pretty well.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent there. Please return to the regularly scheduled discussion. Smile

Garrett
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KF5 for me. Hard to defeat the Kzinti equivalent, but it can be done (I may have written an article on it in the distant past)
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romulan Skyhawk-A. Loved the idea of modular ships in SFB (SparrowHawk is still a favourite) but thought that the SK-A sacrificed too much. A war destroyer with 2 Plasma-F as the heavy weapons? Really? Gotta love the battery power though!

Having said that, it is entirely possible that the actual DW design that the Romulans should have built (complete with a Plasma-G) was proposed by a House that was outmanoeuvred by the House that provided the SkyHawk design....
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky Scot wrote:
Romulan Skyhawk-A.

Gotta agree with this one. It is really an anti-war destroyer. It has the engines of a normal destroyer with the weapons of a frigate. And it is overpriced. In short, it is a very disappointing ship.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: