Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Did you buy RA attack?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Did you buy RA attack? Reply with quote

So SVC said this in another thread:

Quote:
REINFORCEMENTS ATTACK and it's boosters were 40 ships you guys picked, but it was the worst-selling FC product ever.

So, just out of curiosity, did you buy RA or not? and why?

I'll start. I haven't bought it yet. I'm a collector of all FC, so I'll be getting it eventually. As for why? It's based on the ships.

I'm a Kzinti player. Therefore, the products with Kzinti ships are a higher priority for me. RA has 1 ship. Therefore, it's on the list of "To Buy" at a lower place than the stuff that has more Kzinti ships.

I'm guessing this may be the cause of it being "worst selling" Everyone sees 1 or 2 ships for their empire and doesn't quite want to pay out the price of RA for 1 or 2 ships. Whereas the other attack products get bought by folks because it has more of "their" ships in it. (my 2 cents anyway)

djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be missing the point of why SVC feels that FC:RA was a disappointment -
Basically, every empire only got 1-2 ships (and every empire got ships, rather than the traditional 3-4, per product). They were also all ships we said we wanted.

If lots of folks stayed on the fence because it only has 1-2 ships for their particular favorite, that would explain the poor sales.

For what it's worth, I bought it within a week or two of its original ship-date.
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought ReinfAttck as soon as it was available, but I have everything for FC. So, it was fully usable for me. It is a desirable collection of ships if you have everything else.

Dependencies may be part of the problem like with the disappointing results previously reported for Hydran Attack (Hydran Attack required Distant Kingdoms -- not just one of the two base games).

An off-Origins release may also be in play.

I am curious if ReinfAttck is doing worse than Transports Attacked at this same point in the release cycle. If it is, that is a bit curious.

It is possible we had the old S&T Poll run amok problem happen. That is to say, the experienced players lobbied for ReinfAttck and are glad to get it, but they are not a good sounding board for what the would entice a wider audience to buy new FC products.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, but like the above players I have everything.

I was a bit surprised that it is the worst, I would have expected transports attack.

Like Jim, I don't think making a product based on what the die hard fans on the forums say they want is going to necessarily have a wide audience.

On the other hand I'm not sure any product which is just ships for FC can have a wide audience. I just don't see anything that isn't Fed/KLingon/Romulan being a great seller to those who are not already FC players. I don't even see them as being great sellers per se, just that they are more likely to attract attention from people not already fans.

In terms of selling to anyone who is already in to FC (to at least a limited extent) I think a totally different product is needed. Irrespective of empire, more ships is just that, basically more of the same. You probably need to be quite a die hard fan to want cards for what are just minor variants of existing stuff.

The sort of thing I think might do well is some form of higher level game that can generate FC games. It could be a campaign book (Fed Admiral that looks like vaporaware), or it could be something different. A campaign pack adds a new dimension to the game, something more ships can never do. At the moment FC on its own is just a 'one off game' product that doesn't need expansions. I could play it this week, then not again for another 6 months type of thing, the same Fed CA vs D7 is all I need each time.

A campaign system can turn it into the type of game where you play this week, can't help but think of what you are going to do next week, and next week are all hyped up for the next game. Campaigns also give a reason to go out and buy all those other ships. Other people get interested whan half the gaming group is talking about what their plans are for this game they are not involved in, that can translate in a desire to buy new empires so they can play. Depending on the style of campaign you may suddenly want all those funny non-combat ships that will never see the light of day in infrequent games.

The other product that would interest me at least is something on a more operational level. Over the years there has, I believe, been a lot of 'history' developed about the General war. A pack examining the hydran attempted link up with the Feds (Am I remembering right?) which includes an operational level game focused on just that area of space and time frame, that allows battles to be played out with FC if desired, woud be nice. A modified + simplified F&E which is focused on small parts of the general war at a shorter time scale could be used as the basis for several such modules. Add in plenty of background to the operation being looked at, maybe some interesting fiction as well, and the game which can be played stand alone or form the basis of a FC campaign would sound like a nice product to me.

But as I said above, listening to us is not necessarily good advice Smile
mdauben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Did you buy RA attack? Reply with quote

DNordeen wrote:
I'll start. I haven't bought it yet. I'm a collector of all FC, so I'll be getting it eventually.

I have similar reasons. I'm actually pretty new to the FC game, but I imagine I'll eventually aquire at least one of everything! I'm a plasma-lover so Romulans and Gorns are my priority. I've got the two Romulan sets (Border and Attack) along with the associated booster packs but I just haven't had time to get anything else yet. The Klingon stuff is probably next on my list, then the Hydrans and Tholans. After that I'm not sure but I don't doubt that I'll eventually be picking everything up. Cool

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank."
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it, as there were some ships in it that I wanted, especially the Vulture dreadnought and the K7R, which I felt filed in some holes in the Romulan lineup. There were others additions as well. I haven't used every ship in there, but there were enough ships that added to capabilities of my favorite races to make it worth buying, at least for me.

I've become a bit leery in my old age of saying that I will buy a supplement for a game that I really like, just not today. But someday. Too often, someday gets here, and the game is no longer around, or the supplement in question has gone out of print.
Rog
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased when it came out. But when it arrived half the ship cards were damaged and I was disappointed that the groudbases rules were missing so I returned it. I did enjoy the sun snake monster rules though.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it, but then I buy everything (including SFB stuff that I don't get to play anymore).

Hey, everyone needs a vice.....
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least three... maybe four copies of it floating amonst Battlegroup Murfreesboro members.
I know I have a copy, plus all three boosters.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought RA and I do NOT buy every FC product that comes out (such as Transports Attack[ed]).

I have been very happy with the product, but you'd think they could at least put a page in the box containing the ground base rules instead of having to hunt them down somewhere online. Maybe they're doing that now and I just got an older copy.

Hard to believe RA is the worst selling in FC history. If so, it has surpassed (?) Briefing #2 for that honor. That used to be the one that was touted as being the worst. And it came after so many of us clamored for it, too.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm on a limited budget and there are other FC products I don't own yet (such as Battleships Attack) that I want to get first.
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought rein. att.
did not buy transports and battleships, which both the ships in transports and battleships are tubs compared to my destroyers.

nicole
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always buy the latest module for completeness' sake. Also it supports my FLGS....
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it and thought it was a good product even though I haven't played all the ships it contains. For the non-core players, I wonder if they're reaching a saturation point. For them, are too many ships just as bad as too many rules?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monty wrote:
For the non-core players, I wonder if they're reaching a saturation point. For them, are too many ships just as bad as too many rules?

That's an interesting thought. At the beginning there is a natural progression of:
Pol -> FF -> DD/DW -> CL/CW -> CA/NCA -> BC -> DN
Each of the steps is noticeable and has distinct ramifications. However, when the progression becomes more like:
Pol -> HPol -> FF -> FFL-> FW -> FFB -> DD -> DDL -> DW -> DWL -> HDW -> CL -> CW -> CWL -> CWH -> NCA -> NCC -> CA -> CC -> CCH -> BCH -> DN -> DNW -> DNH -> BB
with even more ships crammed into nooks and crannies, things can start to blur and mix together leaving little distinction between the various options. Plus, the progression gets really indistinct (which is better: FFL, FW, FFB? how about CWL or CWH?).

The fact of the matter is we have blown past that original progression. Now we are reduced to adding all of those "missing" classes of dubious necessity.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: