Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFU History Question?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdauben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: SFU History Question? Reply with quote

Not sure if this is really the right place for this, but hopefully someone can help me out. I'm fooling around with some "unofficial" home made Fed/Rom scenarios and wanted to at least generally fit them into the "official" history. My questions are:

• It was my understanding that the Romulans grouped their "Kestral" class ships into one fleet. Is this correct? If so, what was the name of the fleet and where was it historically stationed?
  • Did the Romulans do the same with their old War Eagle- and new Sparrow Hawk-style ships? That is, where these ships deployed in uniform fleets (all old ships or all new ships) or where they "historically" delpoyed in mixed fleets? In either case, do we have fleet names for groups deployed on the Fed border?
  • Not specifically related to my scenario development but more a general question, did the Romulans ever develop any "new" Sparrow Hawk-style dreadnaughts or battleships or did they just get by with the older Condor and K9R dreads throughout the General War?

Thanks! Very Happy

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank."
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have my books with me, so I can't answer some details (like fleet numbers).

The Romulans tried to keep most of the Klingon-built Kestrals together, for maintenance efficiency, etc., but operational needs meant this was not always possible.

There was more mixing with the old Eagle and new Hawk series ships.

The Condor was the new Hawk-series dreadnought. It shares almost nothing with the old Eagle-series Vulture DN. There were plans to enlarge it into the massive King Condor battleship, but that was never built.

If you are looking for a dreadnought that is modular, the way the smaller Hawk-series ships are, then there is one that is built from an enlarged FireHawk - Can't remember the names (the Romulans planned and/or built a whole slew of FireHawk-based DNs, MegaHawk, OmniHawk, etc.)
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was the Omni, and they have rules for it in F&E...

Last edited by Bill Stec on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Condor is, for all intents and purposes, the DN that groups with the Hawk class ships. (The K9R goes with the Kestrels and the Vulture is for the Eagles.)

That said, there were plenty of competing designs for the various Hawks. One was the Megahawk (six engine really large Super/Novahawk) and its littler sibling the Omnihawk (five engine version). Then, there is everyone's favorite, the Demonhawk (can use Sparrowhawk "wing" modules AND a Skyhawk module). Neither the Megahawk or Demonhawk were ever built. I think one ore two Omnihawks were built.

(I think I got the names correct. Could have screwed up with the Megahawk or Omnihawk, and I am not gonna look it up.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Bill Stec
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
The Condor is, for all intents and purposes, the DN that groups with the Hawk class ships. (The K9R goes with the Kestrels and the Vulture is for the Eagles.)

That said, there were plenty of competing designs for the various Hawks. One was the Megahawk (six engine really large Super/Novahawk) and its littler sibling the Omnihawk (five engine version). Then, there is everyone's favorite, the Demonhawk (can use Sparrowhawk "wing" modules AND a Skyhawk module). Neither the Megahawk or Demonhawk were ever built. I think one ore two Omnihawks were built.

(I think I got the names correct. Could have screwed up with the Megahawk or Omnihawk, and I am not gonna look it up.)

I just checked, and the names are correct. None were historically built. Rule 525.60 covers this.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Demonhawk is a fun ship. While it loses some in the translation to Federation Commander (because the ability to use modules becomes irrelevant), I still hope it makes it into Communique some day.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well Svc has said if it did it would be the "A/A" version the last time I asked for it. I have not asked lately hoping that It will turn up in com. or an E-pack.
mdauben
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all the replys! Very Happy

Only thing left is does anyone have any info on appropriate fleet names/numbers to reference for Romulan battle groups deployed along the Fed/Rom Neutral Zone?

"The best diplomat that I know is a fully-loaded phaser bank."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: