Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which System to go with?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sean Xor
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Which System to go with? Reply with quote

I am looking at getting back into role playing with Prime Directive . My question is which system do I go with: GURPS, D20, or wait for Traveller?

I do not have any experience with any of the systems. The vast majority of my role playing experience is from GMing Star Wars campaigns using the West End Games D6 system. I have GMed a handful of one-shot games using other systems as well. I tend to prefer "rules light" systems. By that I tend to like systems that involve rolling a bunch of dice to meet a certain number as opposed to systems that require checking multiple tables to do everything.

So which of those three systems would you recommend going with?

Thanks!
Gimp
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer GURPS. While it has a reputation for being an engineer's rule system, it isn't that difficult, especially with the more streamlined 4th edition.

It carries the advantage of being skill based instead of level based, as is found with the Traveller system coming soon. That allows people to join a campaign without being as outclassed as they can be in a leveling system.

Which system works for you will depend on your group, but any of them will work with a good group.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell whether you are saying Traveller has levels or not. Traveller does not do levels in any way. It is a pure skill based system, modified by attributes. Traveller has no levels.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
CarlZog
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Traveller is going to be the best, but if you're eager to play again, I wouldn't wait for it.

In lieu of Traveller, I think GURPS is the next best choice. As Gimp said, it has a rep as a fiddly system, but GURPS Prime Directive uses a stripped down version of the full rules and is pretty straightforward. At the same time, if you decide you want to add more mechanical detail to your game, you can draw from the full GURPS books.

If you have experience with WEG d6 Star Wars, you should find GURPS a pretty easy system to get a handle on.

Additionally, GURPS was, for a long time, the system of choice for the Traveller setting, and has been sold extensively as a sci-fi friendly system. So there is a wealth of GURPS resources that can be used in PD.

In my experience, D20 and D20Modern never worked as well in a hard sci-fi setting. The character levelling and combat mechanics create a feeling of invulnerable heroes that are great for high fantasy and swashbuckling, but don't lend themselves as well to more "realistic" settings.
Gimp
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
I can't tell whether you are saying Traveller has levels or not. Traveller does not do levels in any way. It is a pure skill based system, modified by attributes. Traveller has no levels.

My fault for posting quickly. I meant that both GURPS and Traveller were skill based, as opposed to the d20 options.

GURPS has what I consider an advantage in having all skills purchased by choice instead of die roll, but history tables can give interesting options for character development,
Gimp
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That got me thinking about the last Traveller character I created. The history rolls were so far out there I decided the most appropriate name was Kirk T Jameson.

History rolls can be a fun tool for building character background, but I've been creating characters long enough in enough systems I rarely have a problem coming up with something interesting on my own.

I also have to admit I prefer the bell curve of GURPS 3d6 system compared to 2d6 or d20 systems.
gurps_gm
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been GMing GURPS for some years. It's the only system I will play. If you aren't sure, I suggest you download a copy of GURPS lite from http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG31-0004 and check it out.
Gimp
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURPS light is probably one of the nicest ways to try out an RPG I've seen.

You get all of the core game rules and mechanics, and get to decide how well they fit for your group, without having to pay anything for them.

It isn't 'Here are some characts an a few rules to whet yur appetite.' It's the full core character creaion and combat system, with only extra rules that are stting specific or highly optional let out. You can run a solid campaign with GURPS light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: