Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Real world lengths of SFU Ships?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LTJGBEAM
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Real world lengths of SFU Ships? Reply with quote

Is there a place where the length, width, height of the various ships of the SFU are published? I have not been able to find official lengths for the FED FF or Klingon F5 for example. I want to do some artwork at either 6 or 12 pixels per meter and would like to have some official measurements so the various ships are in scale with each other.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the easiest thing to do is go to Shape Ways and find the ship(s) you're interested in, and look at the size of the mini. Then use simple math based off the scale (1: 3788 or 1: 3125) to figure out the "real world" size.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
LTJGBEAM
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. I had already thought of that but i have the Starline 2500 series Miniatures , and there seems to be some inconsistencies in the scale of those miniatures.

For example, the FED CA (Constitution Class) and Klingon D7 are not a good match for their published lengths. The Constitution Class is supposedly 288 meters, and the D7 is 228 meters. So the D7 is 79.667% of the length of the Constitution.

But the resin Starline 2500 Constitution and the resin Starline D7 are almost the same size. These were from the initial Mongoose runs and may have had the sizing adjusted when they switched to the metals and printed versions.

I ended up purchasing AMT 2500 series Federation Ships to get more accurately scaled Constitutions...

The intent of the project is to have views of the ships, in scale, and able to be turned into Deck plans. Deck plans where the external windows line up with the interior layouts...

United Federation of Planets, Constitution Class Heavy Cruiser and Klingon D-7 Class Battlecruiser.

These are drawn at 6 pixels per meter. The Constitution is drawn at a length of 288 meters and the D-7 at 228 meters to match their published lengths.

I changed to 6 pixels per meter from the original 3 pixels per meter, as I wanted more detail on the interior deck layouts and so I had to start over on the project. I considered going to 12 pixels per meter but the .PNG images are rather large at that scale.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R8phmdAXgQ8/YSHICNFBhRI/AAAAAAAAA6Y/ipivhG-U8fQgAYNHHzA6nlMN-awyAFLlQCLcBGAsYHQ/s2000/Federation%2BCA%2B-%2BKlingon%2BD7%2BComparision%2B-%2B6%2BPixels%2Bper%2Bmeter.png

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-o0LMHk6hsx8/YSHOMBmBVwI/AAAAAAAAA68/ifGuGF71UH4sF7VfOZOr1ZFY4Wed6FqMQCLcBGAsYHQ/s2000/Federation%2BCA%2B-%2BKlingon%2BD7%2B-%2BDecks%2Bat%2BCenterline%2B-%2B6%2BPixels%2Bper%2Bmeter.png
Jean
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've done some real work making the Shapeways ships consistent in both the 3788 Scale and 3125 scale. The latter is the size the Starline 2500s should be.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to watch out for is the difference in some Klingon ships between the 2400-series / 1:3788 and the 2500-series / 1:3125 minis. I believe the neck in the F-5, for example, is proportionally longer on the 3125-scale mini.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
LTJGBEAM
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jean and Sgt_G. I'll take a look and use the lengths of the 3125 scale ships as a reference.

Thanks again for the quick responses.
ConnorS
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The responses are amazingly quick. Thanks!

reviews of attorneys finger lakes realty partners
JohnMyers
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing that the members here in this forum are willing to help. Thank you!
herringbur
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also see everyone being very active, so I'm very grateful
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: