Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2500-scale fast light/war cruiser conversions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: 2500-scale fast light/war cruiser conversions? Reply with quote

Hello.

So far, aside from the various fast ships shown in the Starline 2500 line so far (such as the Manta Ray-class NCF and the Star Tiger-class DNL) and one which has already been shown as a conversion using pre-existing parts (the Two Moons-class DDF), there was one breed of fast ship I was wondering about.

Has anyone here thought of attempting to convert one or more pre-existing 2500-series minis into the fast light/war cruisers from SFB Module R11?

Of the seven factions featured in ACtA:SF so far, five have ships of this class in print as SSDs.

Star Fleet has the San Martin-class new (fast) light cruiser, which would have 15-box warp nacelles akin to those on a non-fast Fed heavy cruiser, but the spade-shaped primary hull of the NCF (but with less bulk, akin to how the NCL differs from the NCA in that regard). Of the various ships of this class, the NLF is the only one to have 3D art done up by Adam Turner.

The Klingons have the FD5, which also has 15-box warp nacelles instead of the standard D5's 12-box ones. What other distinguishing features it may have remain to be seen, but perhaps it might have the same arrowhead shape of "hat" atop the prow boom-bulb?

The Romulans have the Fast SparrowHawk-A, which has three 9-box nacelles (which I think are the same type you see four of on the FastHawk). I could picture it having a similar boom and sloped wing set as seen on the FFH, perhaps.

The Kzintis have a Fast Medium Cruiser, which has three 10-box nacelles (akin to those on a standard BC). What other kind of "fast" tell-tale signs (such as a different-shaped prow) are harder to gauge, since there is no "NCF" in the Hegemony fleet. But, it might have a similar kind of pulled-in wings one sees on the current CF.

As for the Gorns, theirs might be the hardest to account for. Engine-wise, their Kentrosaurus Fast Heavy Destroyer has a pair of 14-box warp nacelles, which none of the current Gorn ships share. Plus, since the hull is based on the HDD rather than the CL, one could not use the same "ace of spades" head which the Velociraptor has.

So, with those issues in mind, do any of the five fast light/war cruisers known to exist for he current crop of Starline 2500 empires look like they might be worth attempting to convert, akin to the Two Moons-class DDF; or would people rather wait and see if they ever get official models instead?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary... feel free to convert away.
As for me - I'm having enough difficulties getting the minis I "need" right now, much less getting extras to convert.

And since I can't just but extra bits and bobs of the 2500s at Origins like I can the 2400s...
That means I pretty much have to spend $29.98 ($14.99 twice) to get the bas hull and the "fast" engines from the requisite fast cruiser.

Maybe someday.. but not right now.

Although, I'll make you an offer (the same made to other people - some of whom accepted and some of whom didn't):
You pick the R11 ship you want... I tell you which two minis I need to make it.
You purchase and ship them to me (or have ADB send them to me - as has been done before).
I'll kit-bash the desired ship and prime the final product before shipping the item to you.
In exchange for this service - I get to keep the left overs from the minis needed to add to my "bits and bobs" box for future conversions.

Interested?
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I appreciate such an offer, and would consider it for either an NLF or FSP, I don't have the disposable income to spare for such a commission right now, sadly.

If the situation changes, I might be able to re-consider things, but I can't say when that might happen.

Also, I didn't want to come across as trying to get people to go through the motions with their own collections.

If there is someone out there who actually likes the idea of trying something like this for their own sake, great. But on the other hand, if I'm the only one who wants to see such a thing happen, I should either wait to see if ADB and Mongoose decide to add fast light/war cruisers to the 2500s at some point, or put my money where my mouth is in terms of commissioning a conversion project.

(To be honest, I would be surprised if anyone else liked the idea enough to try and go for it. I do have a habit of latching on to ideas which aren't all that popular, after all...)
archon96
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$800 dollars scout and ill sell ya everything i ever bought for this game. a fleet box from each race and i cant count how many singles and squadron boxes i bought. Ill throw in all my core sec flight pegs, my laser etched bases. And the cardboard foam travel boxes everything is packed in. hell ill pay for shipping. Thats how much my opinion of my first and last experience in miniatures has gone.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archon: They will want to know if you have 2400s or 2500s.
archon96
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the frustrated rant, all i have is 2500 series. the first fleet box of feds were resin but i switch to medal as soon as they became available.
Bill Stec
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

archon96 wrote:
Thats how much my opinion of my first and last experience in miniatures has gone.

That's a shame, but I can understand why you might be frustrated at the state of the game.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

archon96 wrote:
$800 dollars scout and ill sell ya everything i ever bought for this game. a fleet box from each race and i cant count how many singles and squadron boxes i bought. Ill throw in all my core sec flight pegs, my laser etched bases. And the cardboard foam travel boxes everything is packed in. hell ill pay for shipping. Thats how much my opinion of my first and last experience in miniatures has gone.

If I didn't already have 18,000 points of Feds, 20,000 points of Klingons, 18,000 points of Romulans, and 2 each Gorn/Kzinti fleet boxes, plus a dozen or more Orions... I might consider it.
Right now, I think adding that much to it might be a bit obsessive. Rolling Eyes

Although, you never can tell.
Let me find the right buyers for my extra 6E Ogre games and its a possibility I might consider it anyway...
lincolnlog
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archon, would you be interested in selling the resin Fed Fleet box? And if so for how much?
archon96
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything is already painted and id rather just sell all of my feds as one batch. I was gonna drop the separate races on ebay for 200 a batch. a pretty good deal i think for the amount of stuff. I dont have everything listed out yet just havnt had the time.
lincolnlog
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much Fed stuff are we talking? I could do 200 if it is worth it. I want the resins for conversions.
archon96
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gonna make a list this week end and post it. there is a lot i bought a bunch of singles to fill out some fleet design ideas we had. I do have the BB and the heavy command cruiser in the batch as well. I had a bunch of disposable income at the time and went crazy in excess 1500 dollars worth of miniatures. but i dont live close enough to a store that has players and none of my friends are interested with all the delays and rules issues.
lincolnlog
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archon,

Can you PM me when you have the list. I'm really trying to get resins and there just arent any left out there. I'll buy all the Feds if it's worth it. And I'm sure it will be, I was going to get another BB and CB for someone else anyway.

Thanks,

Bob
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob... keep me in mind for parting out any extra Feds.
I don't need bunch, but might take the extras, if they are the proper units.

Archon: If you part it out, I'd be interested in looking at hte Gorn / Kzinti lists... and Orions, if you have any.
Bill Stec
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archon, I could be in the market for some Kzinti/Gorn ships if you break up the sets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Starline 2500 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: