Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

displacement device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwinfeds
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: displacement device Reply with quote

reading 5u5a displacing Andromedan units roll a 1-5 to displace a friendly unit. Nothing states anything about range except for non Andromedan units 5u4. Does that mean that any range from 0-25 hexes if displacing an Andromedan friendly unit that the same 1-5 die roll is needed to displace said unit?
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I read the rules in 5U5; there only seems to be a difference in how far the ship can be displaced. However, I'm no Andro expert!
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I've always played it, 1-5 to displace an Andro no matter the distance - they presumably have some device on each ship making lock on much more likely.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm, yes, it is the case that range doesn't matter for Andro-on-Andro displacement action.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
slavic_dog
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: DisDev question re: 5U4b4 Reply with quote

Under the rules section for "Effect on Non-Adromedan Units" we are having a hard time
coming up with a situation as described in

5U4b4 "Seeking weapons which are impacted on a displaced ship are removed from play,
unless the displaced ship was self-displaced."

Since DisDev's cannot be used in defensive fire phase, wouldn't any seeking weapons which
have impacted and survived defensive fire then resolve their damage prior to offensive
fire phase? So how would the DisDev even come into play?

or, in looking at 5U4b "Disruption":
suppose on impulse 1, end of offensive fire, a target ship is displaced by DisDev,
during movement on impulse 2 seeking weapons impact the target (which is still disrupted)
since the target is still disrupted the seeking weapons which impacted are removed from play.
at end of offensive fire of impulse 2, target no longer disrupted and returns to normal

Not sure you could plan on using this as an effective seeking weapon defense since you'd have
no guarantee you'd be displaced close enough for the seeking weapons to impact within the next impulse. and if you self-displace, they just keep chasing you.

Do I understand this correctly? Thanks in advance
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you got the idea in bold from.

If you note, (5U4b4) is a later addition (that is what the "star" is showing). It was added because it is a very rare situation that no one originally thought would ever come up. So, if it is hard to use, it is because originally no one thought it would happen at all. This is not an effective means of drone defense. It is simply a side effect of rule (5U4b2).

To answer your first question, the way a seeking weapon can be impacted, but not resolved, is if it is held in a tractor. That is the situation being addressed. While fairly rare, some of the larger Andromedan units do have a tractor beam. So, if they are displaced by another unit while holding an impacted drone in a tractor, the drone goes away. Or if an Andromedan unit displaces a non-Andromedan ship in a three-way (or more) combat situation where the displaced ship is holding impacted drones in a tractor.

If a unit is displaced and then hit by a drone after displacement, the drone impacts normally. Note that (5U4b3) still allows the disrupted ship to defend against the newly impacted seeking weapon.

slavic_dog
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea in bold was my attempt at trying to come up with a situation
that helped me make sense of 5U4b4.

What prompted all of it is we had a battle between the Andro's and the Klingons, and
I had launched 20 drones from my Klingon ships at an Andromedan Dominator and he really wanted to use his DisDev from another ship to displace the target to make them go away. Was trying to explain to him that I didn't think he could do that, but could not explain why he couldn't use 5U4b4 to make them go away.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the other post, (5U4b4) was a late addition for a very rare case. It is NOT intended to help Andromedans with drone defense. If I remember correctly, the question that originated the rule involved a three-way combat with Andros, Orions, and someone else. So, one ship (let's say an Orion) had multiple impacted drones being held in tractors. It wasn't clear what would happen to the drones if the Andros displaced that Orion. It was determined that (5U4b2) would apply because while it was the Orion that was displaced, the drones would go with him, resulting in the application of (5U4b2). The result was the update rule (5U4b4) making that explicitly clear.

But (5U4b4) most assuredly does not do what the Andromedan player wanted it to do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: