Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Module X2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Module X2 Reply with quote

I see that module X2 is on the list of upcoming products. Any previews of what advanced tech goodness will be in it?
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been on the list of products since Doomsday (1990). I wouldn't get too excited yet Sad
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't on a list of upcoming product, but on the list of potential future products. Has been for 23 years.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 would be quite an undertaking. The tech would have to be something more than just better shields or batteries that hold more power. I use to see a lot of unofficial X2 stuff on the net that actually looked pretty interesting. Has material been submitted on X2 at all?

I could see the Xorks needing to be something really unique as well. Like the Andros were unique and the Xorks would have to be even more unique if pitted against Alpha X2 ships.

Or perhaps just the fact that there would be fewer X2 ships in service than say GW era ships that had all sorts of variants, carriers, war cruisers, PF's etc...
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard about X2 aswell decades ago. I remember Taldren had some proposals of what X2 would be with its SFC series, but they were pretty much what David decribed, upgraded sheilds and weapons. Some uniqueness to General War Era ships, but nothing that really stood out.

For the record, I thought I knew what X2 was with Star Treks Ambassador class, but its clear now that SFB and Star Trek are like comparing apples to oranges. Rolling Eyes
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnum357 wrote:
For the record, I thought I knew what X2 was with Star Treks Ambassador class, but its clear now that SFB and Star Trek are like comparing apples to oranges. Rolling Eyes

In many ways your very correct. Anything really after TOS just doesn't apply. For example, I once thought the Klinks should have photons and the cloak because they do in TNG. But then a cloak wouldn't work with drones at all. And cloaking wouldn't really be considered 'honorable' to SFB Klinks anyway who prefer a stand up battle.

That's what happens when you have multiple writers on the various shows. Klinks get photons, Roms get disruptors etc. No continuity really with TOS. Now to be fair, TOS had some continuity issues as well. In TOS 'Terror' episode where the Enterprise is fighting the Rom Warbird they're firing 'proximity phasers' but on screen they're firing photons torpedoes. An example of the script and the FX department not being on the same sheet of music.

One thing you can say for SFB is it has continuity.

As far as X2, lot's of interesting stuff on the web as far as discussion and possibilities. The Xorks are going to have to be like the Borg in that they give you a pucker factor (like the pre-doomsday Andros). As far as it ever becoming an official product, well we'll see. Since it's been on the list since the 80's I would tend to think not. But I could be wrong. And I'd like to see what the Trade Wars were all about and history and fiction beyond Operation Unity etc.

The addition of the Paravians and Carnivons as possible Galactic races (vs. extinct ones) was, imo, a very good move on ADB's part and I thoroughly enjoyed the module and have used both in our FTF games.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 is probably the "never done product we most want to do" and I'm pencilling in next year.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
X2 is probably the "never done product we most want to do" and I'm pencilling in next year.

That's how rumors start....

"Hey did you hear? SVC says that X2 is coming out next year"! Very Happy

Seriously, I'd very much like to see this product come out as it will expand the SFU dramatically for ships, history, fiction, scenarios etc.
Gimp
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he said he was writing it in pencil next year. Shocked
Then they'd have to transcribe it to ink. Embarassed
From there it would have to be typed onto a computer. Razz
Then it would have to get passed back and forth to get it in a format the right computer can read. Twisted Evil
After that, it would have to be formatted for printing. Very Happy
All of that would have to go forward with lots of adjustments from playtest.

That all could mean somewhere from next year to several years from now.

(Trying to squash the rumors before they start. Rolling Eyes )
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter. This is internet If they can't find a rumor they like, they'll just make one up.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my humble opinion...

X2 would be like C6 Carnivons & Paravians i.e. it opens the game to an entire new dynamic. You have the possibility of additional fiction, tactics, FTF-style alliances etc.

X2 will bring it an expanded history, weapons, tactics, fiction and like the Andros...a new fear factor I would imagine. A LOT can be done with it. Yes, you've got the Xorks. But perhaps X Andros make an appearance at some point? That would give X2 galactic ships a real run for their money as well I should imagine!
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are conjectural first-generation Andromedan X-ships in Module C3A, but I suppose the future publication of Module X2 may one day open the door for simulator second-gen X-Andros later on.

Fortunately (for anyone who isn't Andromedan), it doesn't seem that the historical Andros ever made it as far, though the dissection beam variants of their regular Motherships (also in C3A) did show up to terrorize their opponents in the Darwin's alternate "dark future" timeline.
David
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought C3A last year. And yes, there are some scary Andros in that module. I'm mean, regular Andros are enough to give anyone pause (or a panic attack) and that's just what they should do. C3A is basically Andros on steroids.

X2 galactic and X andros...hmmm Cool
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bit of interesting news on the first page of Communique #109...
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And any relevant discussions on the topic needs to happen on the legacy boards. We can have abstract discussions here, but anything substantive must take place on the legacy boards.

Not to say we can't talk about things here, but if you want to actually try to contribute, go to the legacy boards.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: