Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too many ways to skin a cat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother Stormhammer
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Too many ways to skin a cat? Reply with quote

If this is the wrong area of the forum, I apologize, but I've just finished my fifth game of Federation and Empire in the last few weeks, and find myself at a near-total loss. My FLGS runs games with one player per faction, and I've been playing the Kzinti. It's not been pretty. Actually, that's an understatement. I usually wind up playing Federation Commander with the Romulan, Gorn, or ISC players...they aren't in the war yet, and I'm already out of it. Embarassed

How in the name of (insert deity here) are the Kzinti supposed to survive? Honestly, it feels almost like I'm playing Poland in a World War II game.
koogie
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By building as many carriers as you can and killing your fighter factors rather than your ships. By fighting your battles over fortified positions (capital, starbases) and not trying to save your battle stations. And when its time give up your capital and retreat with your crippled ships off map (move the FRDs there before they die).

The key is to preserve your ships and launch counter attacks from the off-map, continuing to trade your fighters for his ships.

Also get money from the Feds through off map transfers.
Brother Stormhammer
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more-or-less what I've been trying. I was hoping that there was at least an outside shot at being a bit more of an active participant in the overall game.

What you're telling me, essentially, is that it's inevitable that I'm going to get kicked off the map, and be a resource drain on the Federation economy, and the only real variable is how expensive I can make things for the Lyrans/Klingons?

I have a semi-related question...how many players can a game of F&E support? I'm suddenly thinking that the answer is around four-five at the most (Fed, Romulan, Gorn, Klingon, Lyran(?)) with allied players covering for the Kzinti, Hydrans, and Tholians.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our group has dwindled and with the advent of Cyberboard - has converted to mostly electronic F&E. But when we originally played Fed and Empire Face to Face - we typically had 8 players.
One per empire involved (Fed, Kzinti, Hydran, Gorn, Klingon, Romulan, Lyran plus a spare (in case someone couldn't make it during a session).

Early turns were handled by allowing the Empires admiral to do Econ, Production, and movement. Then battle were divied up amongst all players to rapidly compete the turns.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

By later turns, when capital assaults were occurring - it was not unusual to see The Hydran and Gorn players handling both sides of small battles in Klingon space while the Lyran / Klingon players were facing off against the Kzinti / Federation players in a Kzinti capital battle.

That moved the game along... and kept everyone involved and active.
Bill Stec
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be pretty much as has been described; the Kzinti usually get kicked off map, though that doesn't happen 100% of the time.

Spend funds upgrading the capital defenses, build/convert as many carriers as you possibly can, and be a pain in the butt as much as possible with the proviso that preserving your fleet is more important than inflicting heavy losses on the Coalition.

If you want to play a scenario wherein the Kzinti get to start being somewhat offensive-minded, try the Maelstrom scenario. While the Order of battle isn't exactly optimum, it is a learning experience trying to upgrade your fleet in the middle of a war. Moreso since PFs are coming online, and X-ships are approaching soon. We played it past it's usual end date, up to Turn 28, saw some X-ship action, the works. Fun scenario.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game design assumes a 50% chance of capturing the Kzinti capital.

If it is not captured, it's devastated and about all they have left.

Kinda like playing France in a World War 2 game. Really exciting at the start and then kinda boring until the end.
Brother Stormhammer
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I was afraid that I was missing something obvious on the defensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: