Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Draft Tournament Auction-Based Squadron Selection Method
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means--Let's give it a try. Maybe it'll work to separate the wheat from the chaff.
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the bidding will take very much longer for the real game. I was passing at work with no references. If this was for a fleet that was actually going to be played I would have to look up each fleet that was presented and bid, which would take much longer to respond. I stayed out of the bidding somewhat just to expedite the test process, but doubt i would do so if it was going to result in a gamesome of the races have lesser cost fleets that i would fine interesting to play. I do think i am alone in this. There is only one race that i have never played and have no interest in playing, that i would instantly pass on. The orion fleet i presented and took in the bidding process I would have willing played vs any of these fleets that were finally won.

Nicole
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest does anyone want to play any of these games, not as a tourney, just as some one off games. It might be interesting to see a couple of these games on the suggested map.
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to play. Finding time might be difficult.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sebastian: Maybe our sunday game?

Nicole: If you think your Orions were a good match I'd be interested in playing against your Orion squad either with my hydran squad, or the Selt squad. I was thinking the hydran vs Orion matchup would be interesting when you first bid your orions, but I think you would have struggled against the Selt squadron, that is a big ~40% points handicap to overcome.
Monty
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it make sense to try the draft again to ensure that the Selts are really an aberration? Not sure how real participants would react if this was the outcome.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Selts were my opening bid.

I would not bid them that high again and I would bid them down if they showed up that high in another player's bid.

They should probably come one level down. Maybe +20% versus 381 points.

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have a solution to the time issue.

I could eliminate passing except with regard to the selection and initial squadron bid for empires.

This is how I envision it would work:

A Bid Order is still established as before.

The Base Squadron is assigned to the the last player in Bid Order. That player must take it.

As before, the next player in Bid Order has 24 hours to select an empire and bid a squadron up to 150% of the point value of the Base Squadron.

Bidding for that empire is open for exactly 24 hours from the time date stamp of the post of the initial squadron bid for it.

While bidding is open any player can bid at anytime a valid squadron for that empire.

At the end of the 24 hour period, the last valid standing bid wins.

If the winning bidder already has a squadron, the previously assigned squadron is offered to the second lowest bidder for the empire just assigned. If the previously assigned squadron is the base squadron, the player must accept it. Otherwise, the player may choose to decline the previously assigned squadron. If it is declined, it is discarded.

For very large tournaments, the windows could be reduced from 24 hours to 12 hours as the large number of players would eliminate the need for everyone to be able to participate in every single empire auction especially since a given empire will show up several times for bidding in a very large tournament.

Thoughts?

St. Louis Area Fed Comm Group: http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/STL_Federation_Commander/
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds reasonable. Let's give it a try.
JimDauphinais
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still alive. I am currently considering some offline suggestions I received from Pinbot and what from them might make sense to incorporate into my latest thoughts.

Currently, some version of the latest thoughts I have posted above is where I am going with a 32 hex start and the ringed gas-giant planet for terrain.

Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear it's still active--I'm looking forward to the tournament.
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We played with the online tourney planet rules last night.

1) 25 hexes away from the planet is too far and has pretty good potential to never have the planet come into play.

2) 25 hexes apart is way too close to start. Should be a minimum of 32 hexes apart and possibly farther

Consider starting the sides at least 32 hexes with one player In direction E (on row E) from the planet and the other in direction A (on row A) from the planet.

Nicole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: