Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shield reinforcement after emergency deceleration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kboruff
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: shield reinforcement after emergency deceleration Reply with quote

Upon reading 2D3b and the example, the last statement:

Quote:
That amounts to 12 Movement Points, so the ship gains six points of power for use as Shield Reinforcement subject to the battery limits.

So if I'm using a ship with 4 batteries, the max shield reinforcement per volley is 4, correct? I would have to draw from this reserve power from the decel for 2 volleys (I'm not including any other reserve power of the ship)?

In short, I can't use the 6 points for one volley unless I happen to have 6 batteries?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is correct.

And note that this is un-disabled batteries, too. So, if you are damaged and have no remaining un-disabled batteries and you perform Emergency Deceleration, and reinforcement energy will be wasted, as you have no batteries through which to use the energy.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
kboruff
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:

And note that this is un-disabled batteries, too. So, if you are damaged and have no remaining un-disabled batteries and you perform Emergency Deceleration, and reinforcement energy will be wasted, as you have no batteries through which to use the energy.

Yes! Un-disabled batteries. Thanks.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the battery in question is already holding power? Don't the batteries have to be empty for this use?

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgt_G wrote:
What if the battery in question is already holding power? Don't the batteries have to be empty for this use?

Doesn't matter. Batteries only "hold" power between turns. During a turn, batteries aren't really holding power.

Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that a battery whose power had been used could not be used for shield reinforcement. I am wrong, and they merely need to be undamaged, regardless of power charge?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't confuse how batteries work in SFB with how they work in Federation Commander.

In FC, batteries are basically used for two things:
1) Carry some unused power from one turn into the next.
2) Be the conduit for shield reinforcement.

In SFB, batteries were very important, as they were the only mechanism to provide for reserve, or contingent, power. In FC, all power not used in Energy Allocation is effectively reserve power. So, one way to think of it is that your power generation systems and batteries carrying power over from last turn "dump" their energy points on the table for this turn. You then use that power as you need during the turn, and the power generation systems and batteries just sit there, their job done for this turn. At the very end of the turn, if you have unused power, it can be put into batteries to be carried into the next turn.

So, the whole idea of batteries "holding" power during a turn, or "discharging" energy during a turn doesn't really apply. Effectively, batteries only hold power over the turn break, and discharge the energy at the start of every turn.

Getting back to shield reinforcement, the above means that batteries really have no power in them during the turn. Instead, shields basically work as a conduit for delivering shield reinforcement. So, as stated in the second-to-last sentence of (3C5), this reinforcement can be applied to every volley during a turn. (Subject to available power and un-disabled batteries, of course.)

Does that help explain it?

Weirdo
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that makes sense.

I don't actually have any SFB experience, I think it was just the wording of the book that confused me.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdo: I on the other hand have little FedCmdr experience and was thinking in SFB terms. Wink

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: