Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple Dockings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:40 am    Post subject: Multiple Dockings Reply with quote

Is there any way to tell how many ships could be docked to a station (base) or to another ship? I couldn't find anything in the rules limiting how many ships could dock together.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near as I can tell, there is no limit to the number of units that can dock with each other. Note that docking is a single specific connection. So, if ship A is docked to ship B, and ship B is doced to ship C, there is no "docking relationship" (for the lack of a better term) between ships A and C.

Anything more complicated than that was not really considered by the rules. Before it becomes worth the effort to provide additional definition, I would ask why a bunch of ships are all docking with each other. It would not seem like a tactically advantageous maneuver. Note that docking requires a ship to be Stopped for the entire turn, and the ship cannot perform any kind of maneuver for the entire turn, including tactical manuevers and high energy turns.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of one reason why you'd want a bunch of ships docked to another: boarding actions.

E.g. I have shot off the Hood's engines, making it immobile, so I dock my ships to it and flood it with Marines (3 ships, 6 marines per turn per ship, plus transporters, potentially 18+15=33 marines in one turn). That'll capture anything pretty quickly.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've submitted a scenario to SVC that features an Orion pirate raider docked to a salvage cruiser on Turn 1. My original intention was to have an additional light raider also docked to the salvage cruiser, but I wanted to go ahead with the playtesting, so I settled for only one docking.

The salvage cruiser can act as a mobile base of sorts for repairs on pirate ships when no established pirate base is in the area, so it is conceivable that two or three pirate ships could be docked to a salvage cruiser getting repairs done or transferring their booty.

=====
Captain Jack
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiple docking can be a great help, because a ship docked to any base cannot be displaced by Andros! Shocked

All I would say, if you dock more than 2, then you will have restrictions on firing. (3 units out of same hex facing.)

p.s also has a large share in a shuttle building company!
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But a ship docked to a ship that is docked to a base is not immune to being displaced.

=====
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: