Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapping Hex 1907
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea for the nested-hex grid was to allow for actions to take place on a different time scale depending on which size of hex was being used at the time. Movement would be one large hex per month, or one week per medium hex, or two days per small hex. However, the grid gets very "busy" when I went down to the next level:

If you want less complicated, I tried two other grids, one with ten hexes across and one with seven:

The ten-hex version makes more sense if you want to keep things simple as each sub-hex is 50 parsecs vs. 71.4 parsecs on the seven-hex version.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
MajorMorrigan
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a bit old, but I'm finding this very useful.

The first hex shown in the previous post above that has subhexes with subsubhexes, is a great pattern. With 13 subhexes and 6 half hexes, if you take three half hexes and consider those full subhexes as part of the larger hex, then you can use a linear base-16 addressing scheme that can address the infinite plane of hexes with a single number, no need for x+y coordinates of any sort. Each base-16 digit relates to a particular scale. Of course the center subhex should always be 0, but depending on how the other subhexes are measured, custom addition and multiplication tables can be used for advanced stuff, though isn't required for simple mapping and reference.

This also lets you have write ups in a binder for each hex or otherwise based on location and yet easy to know where everything maps to.
Sgt_G
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see at least one person out there found it useful.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
MajorMorrigan
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. It's not as mathematically elegant as Spiral Honeycomb Mosaic, but the lack of spiraling and working in base 16 makes it easier to deal with conceptually and on the computer. I can convert coordinates so much easier without that spiral.

In fact, in one of my fictional universes they actually use hexes for mapping and referencing areas, especially militarily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: