Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alpha Strike system
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Alpha Strike system Reply with quote

Our group has been experimenting with the Alpha Strike damage allocation system (found in Captain's Log 41 supplement, developed by Mike Bennett)
Mein Gott, Bozhe Moi, and Holy Mother !!! What a brilliant system !!! I can't believe it's not THE mainstream way of damage allocation. We follow the advice of the companion article and allocate up ten internal hits normally, but after that it's Alpha Strike all the way. Got 50 hits? Want them allocated in 20 seconds? Check out Alpha Strike.
(This is an unpaid endorsement-- unless of course someone wants to. Have your people call my people) Wink
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like it too, but cannot get anyone around me to use it.

I also made an excel file that I used his percentages and created a complete random allocation with the same distribution. Works sweet.
duxvolantis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Alpha Strike system Reply with quote

Spacecowboy87 wrote:
Our group has been experimenting with the Alpha Strike damage allocation system (found in Captain's Log 41 supplement, developed by Mike Bennett)
Mein Gott, Bozhe Moi, and Holy Mother !!! What a brilliant system !!! I can't believe it's not THE mainstream way of damage allocation. We follow the advice of the companion article and allocate up ten internal hits normally, but after that it's Alpha Strike all the way. Got 50 hits? Want them allocated in 20 seconds? Check out Alpha Strike.
(This is an unpaid endorsement-- unless of course someone wants to. Have your people call my people) Wink

I like the randomness of the DaC in duels and small squadron fights.

That being said, the Alpha Strike makes a lot of sense for large battles.
Spacecowboy87
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I should point out that we normally play weeknights at a shop, so we're always up against the clock. It's not perfect, but it's "perfect enough" for our situation.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been intrigued by it, but never actually used it in a game.

One question I have about it: In the section explaining about Weapon Hits, it says to:
Quote:
..Mark weapons damage in this order: any phaser, any phaser, best phaser (4, 1, G, 2, 3), any torpedo weapon..

Is that really true in FC, or is that a hold-over from SFB? I thought in FC you were never required to mark a "best" phaser (unless you run out of smaller ones, etc, etc).?

Garrett

Sorry for the above deleted posts, the Forum kept cutting off my full message, then wouldn't let me delete them.
ericphillips
Commander

Location: Los Angeles, CA, USA, Sol, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Universe Beta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that may be a hold over. Certainly in FC you can always mark the wost phaser on hit after hit, and it also does not force you to hit phasers in arc of the volley. I think the author just likes the 3rd phaser is best phaser is something he misses from SFB.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is saying to do that for the Alpha Strike system. I doubt it is making any implications as to how basic FC works.

(And I deleted the extra posts.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys are interested in the Alpha Strike system.

As for the weapons hits going in the order, "any phaser, any phaser, best phaser, any torpedo, any drone," that is something that I never noticed in the published version. I went back and checked my file that I submitted and it did not have that "best phaser" oddity.

I don't know how it could have gotten changed, but it was for some reason. I would submit that it should be changed to "any phaser" in the true spirit of FedCom.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Finman
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the CL, where can I get a copy of this system? I'd like to give it a try.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is the only place. It is available in printed form for $5 from the ADB store or in electronic form from Warehouse23.

http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ADB5741-S

http://store.starfleetstore.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=S&Product_Code=5741-S&Category_Code=CLS

=====
Finman
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for the link. Already looking at some minis, so I will check it out when I order. (Come on Starline 2500 Lyrans!)

Fin-man
Finman
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up - we picked this up and gave it a trial run. (No Lyrans in 2500, but that's another story...) Crying or Very sad

I thought this was brilliant! I loved the ease of putting 20, 30, or even 40 points of damage in just a minute without dice rolls. I second the idea of using this a the baseline for FC damage going forward. (I just wish the "order" for systems and weapons was on the page with the damage - it would have made things easier.)

My friend was less impressed, due to the 'luck' factor being removed, and wants to research it more. (Of course, he does tend to roll lucky for the '6' chart, or getting the '2' chart for a single point of burn-through damage.)

We'll keep playing with it, using it for all hits (including burn-through) to keep the game going. Well done, Mike!

Finman
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I was thinking about the Alpha Strike damage allocation system this morning and something occurred to me that answers a question that was asked awhile back.

The question involved the way weapons were damaged, specifically:

Quote:
One question I have about it: In the section explaining about Weapon Hits, it says to:
Quote:
..Mark weapons damage in this order: any phaser, any phaser, best phaser (4, 1, G, 2, 3), any torpedo weapon..

Is that really true in FC, or is that a hold-over from SFB? I thought in FC you were never required to mark a "best" phaser (unless you run out of smaller ones, etc, etc).?

Here is the answer.

That was done intentionally. I was totally mistaken in my initial response (don't know what in the world I was thinking about, but there must've been a major brain malfunction at the time).

The reason there is a specific order for different types of weapons taking damage is because all weapons were grouped together in one category, just like power, to help make the system fast.

[With no difference between impulse and warp engines, power really doesn't make that big a difference. Well, there are batteries, but I decided to let that slide for speed's sake.]

But with weapons, there is a huge issue. All weapons are not the same, so the sequence of what should be taken as damage for each volley was the solution.

So, it is not really a "hold over" from SFB at all. It was designed to be the way it is.

Sorry for such a long coming with the correct answer, but there it is.

=====
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier question was not about weapon type, it was about 'best' phaser.

I can see why you had to break down type (torp/phaser/drone), but that doesn't explain the 'best phaser' bit. In FC you never have to take 'best' phaser, just 'generic' phaser.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Maybe my brain was working way back then and not today. I dunno.

I checked my original chart and it shows the order weapon hits are to be taken as:

Phaser - Phaser - Phaser - Torpedo - Drone - repeat the sequence.

No reference to "best" or "worst" phaser. Not sure where that came from.

=====
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: