Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Squadron Engagements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyrDraconis
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Squadron Engagements Reply with quote

Finally getting a chance to play this upcoming week, and I've been thinking about the best way to introduce the game to my local group.

I realize it's a small game by ACTA standards, but I plan on (and have all the minis for) games using just the contents of the Fed/Klink/Rommie squadron boxes; and typing up my reference cards has been leaving me thinking. At this point level, how does each squadron want to fight, and do they need to take options? There is a little flexibility in being able to use the command-cruiser variants with no change of models, after all.

After incorporating the erratta, I get:
Feds - 960 points (CA->CC for 985)
I'm the only one that's played any SFU games in our local group, so no need to try and break any habits other than my own regarding photons, overloads and such. Feds tend to have plenty of shuttles for their size, so maybe heavier on the suicides...

Klinks - 1005 points (D7->D7C for 1035)
Lots of punch here, don't really have any concerns. Flying as a broadside-based fleet with snap turns to bring disruptors in seems the way to go initially.

Rom - 875 points (KR->KRC for 940)
I'll freely admit that I'm not used to the point system yet, and this is all theory-fleeting. Seems to me that the Romulans always want to upgrade the KR to a KRC to keep the points close, or maybe hire an Orion CA on the sly if they're going up against Klingons. Are point differences less than the value of a ship really that significant in the long run?

In general - will definitely need to get some terrain on the table. A couple others in our group have also played ACTA:B5, and we tended to minimal terrain with those games. Given the smaller amount of variation in speed and maneuverability, terrain is going to be a habit to get into.

Any other advice for small/squadron games?
Totenkopf
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In ACTA:SF the KRC will actually be a different model, so it isn't an "upgrade" per say.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KRC is an upgrade of the K7R, the KR is a modification of the D6.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: