Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New ADB Path?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Amarillo Design Bureau Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadSyntax
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:55 pm    Post subject: New ADB Path? Reply with quote

SFB is an excellent game, as is FC and F&E. All are very well designed, with very complete rules, great support (captain's logs, forums, etc), and even computer spinoffs (starfleet command was freaking great, and sucked up a TOO much of my life).

Any thoughts to ADB going into a new path? Maybe a WW1/2/3 naval system, as the SFB rules could be modified to work with. A Babylon 5 or Star Wars version of SFB, perhaps a new version of FASA's Centurion/Renegade Legion, or just something entirely new. Star wars *really* needs a good space battle game IMO, and nothing has ever done it justice. IMO BattleTech has gone downhill bad in the last 10 years, and a new mech type of game could be well received if it allowed people to use their miniatures.

I know it is a pretty small shop, which may have no desire to branch out or diffuse support for current products, I was just curious to know if there were any plans to create additional great products.

Also, a kind of follow up question, has there been any work, even if completely futile, on getting Paramount to allow SFB to expand into the new generation timeline? Perhaps since the latest ST movie was so great they'll be less likely to try to keep the TNG IP or something.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUESTION: Any thoughts to ADB going into a new path?
ANSWER: We think about new ideas every day.

QUESTION: Maybe a WW1/2/3 naval system, as the SFB rules could be modified to work with.
ANSWER: I doubt if it would sell, and don't have time to do the detailed historical research.

QUESTION: A Babylon 5 or Star Wars version of SFB,
ANSWER: A license would cost a lot of money and I can barely get the products we have now done.

QUESTION: perhaps a new version of FASA's Centurion/Renegade Legion
ANSWER: I do not know that system, have no clue how to get rights for it, and don't know that I'd have time or even interest.

QUESTION: or just something entirely new.
ANSWER: We do entirely new SFU stuff all the time. As for outside of SFU, you'd have to show me something that would be as profitable.

QUESTION: Star wars *really* needs a good space battle game IMO, and nothing has ever done it justice.
ANSWER: While I agree, I have really very little "passion" for star wars and would not be a good pick for a designer. And as noted, it would cost more than we made in the last year to buy a license.

QUESTION: IMO BattleTech has gone downhill bad in the last 10 years, and a new mech type of game could be well received if it allowed people to use their miniatures.
ANSWER: Ya know, I've never played a mech game and have no idea how to they work. I bought one once, read the first 20 pages of the rules, and gave the game away. Just too complicated.

QUESTION: I know it is a pretty small shop, which may have no desire to branch out or diffuse support for current products, I was just curious to know if there were any plans to create additional great products.
ANSWER: More great SFU products, yes. Moving off in random directions and other venues and genres, probably not. Doing a new SFU product starts with a ton of research already done. Starting a new game on say the Boer War or Battlestar Galactica would take a year or two of research before we could even start.

QUESTION: Also, a kind of follow up question, has there been any work, even if completely futile, on getting Paramount to allow SFB to expand into the new generation timeline? Perhaps since the latest ST movie was so great they'll be less likely to try to keep the TNG IP or something.
ANSWER: We have talked with them in the past, but their licensing system is not really workable for us and they really aren't that interested in seeing SFU expand into TNG.
BadSyntax
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the timely and informative answers!

One little thing tho....

Steve Cole wrote:

ANSWER: Ya know, I've never played a mech game and have no idea how to they work. I bought one once, read the first 20 pages of the rules, and gave the game away. Just too complicated.

Too complicated, coming from the man who wrote Star Fleet Battles, well known as the most complicated game ever, as well as F&E.

That was pretty funny.

But again, thanks for the good answers.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kind of games I like to play are not the same as the kind of games people like to have me design. Go figure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Other Amarillo Design Bureau Products All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: