Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Storeylf Vs Targ campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duxvolantis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been enjoying this thread.

I like reading AARs like these.
Blammo
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
JonPerry wrote:
Quote:
The remaining drones impact but the ADDs and disrupters and phasers left between the 2 ships swat them down.
I did not think that disruptors were allowed to shoot in the defensive fire phase?

With DF drones any allied ships nearby can use offensive weaponary at impact to help the target ship, representing the fact that they could have used such weapons against normal drones during flight.

Part of why I don't like the DF drone rule
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duxvolantis wrote:
I have been enjoying this thread.

I like reading AARs like these.

What the straight AAR or/and the comedy duo? Very Happy
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BATS assault AAR continued.

In the few days since part 1 I had been wondering what to do, Both the BC and CC were too badly dented on number 1 to survive well attacking, the sensors would mean that anything other than a point blank attack would be a waste, and the plasma fighters would make that point blank attack extremely hard, the klingon ships still packed a reasonable punch combined with the Phaser 4s. I would only get 1 more attack at best, there was no way I would be coming back for a third attack run.

I had decided to charge in sidewards, i.e slip in such a way that the enemy were in my FA and my number 6 faced them. That would at least hopefully get me close. I didn't expect to be able to get past the plasma fighters, but was hoping that klingon ships were in front of the base and maybe I could get the overload barrge on something, it would be nice to kill something, the C8 and D6 were both quite badly hurt already.

Turn 4 at the end of last session had seen me start rearmig photons and dumping partial overload power in... But on getting to see the map again I realised that I was out of position for the side slip approach, so I would have to move a reasonable way round before turning in.

Turn 5 - speed 16, I move round the perimiter somewhat as noted above, and turn in on the base (using EM) along the split shield boundary, so I can take any long range shots across 2 shields. I end the turn about range 20, with enough power to fully overload a number of photons. The long range shooting is pretty nasty, It appears Capt Jack has indeed promoted his elite rear gunner to disrupters, as he rolls a string of 1s against my BC. Klingon drones are fired at my CC. During the turn the Romulan carrier has rearmed all fighters and they have moved to form a wall a few hexes in front of the BATs, they are all EM.

Turn 6 - I shift to speed 24, drop EM and move in. The klingons are all going speed 0, saving power for weapons and staying close to the base, as well as repairing some shields. The C8 is a hex behind the base and the D6/D7 are a hex in front of the base. I am expecting the rom fighters to come out and ensure I can't get a range 8 shot without enduring plasma, therefore I am trying to plot to end at range 9 to them, then dive in and see if I can do something.

At this point I'm expcting that all I might be able to do is kill the fighters before bugging out. However, the first few impulses see his fighters sit tight, things are looking up. By the time he has moved forward I have already worked out that I now can sneak in a range 8 shot on the D6/D7 if I turn left, the fighters will not able to get close enough to launch plasma at a range that can hit me as I turn and run. Because of my approach, turning left will put my number 2 at the klingons, However, turning left is awkward for the BC as he has his number 2 shield still down. He therefore carries slipping , I reckon that he will still just keep the klingons in his FA (out his 6) and get range 8.

The klingons do not appear to have seen what I am trying to do, as they have not moved in anyway to make life awkward, avoid my FA or range 8. Presumably they think I might be having a go at the base. On the other hand, I had totally forgotten the fighters were still EM, and needn't have been quite so concerned about them. The drones launched earlier (and there are now some more coming at one my CAs) are a slight problem, I have to just go at them, managing to eek out 1 ADD volley which is only marginally effective, and then the CC just has to take the hits and use phasers. The CA manages to just avoid the ones at him.

I get to shoot on about impulse 5, with only just enough power left for turning and running I fire only photons, the 4 ships that have earlier gone left fire at the D6 - 15 photons. The BC is on a different shield so he fires at the D7 on the off chance I can damage that for the campaign, he can afford a few phasers as well. The klingons fire everything they can, the base fires at the BC as it slightly closer and in a better range bracket for Ph4s, the klingon ships fire at the CC. The base gives sensor support to the D6/D7.

My BC gets pretty heavily hit, taking over 40 internals. The CC is also hurt somewhat. In return my BC scores a great volley and leavse the D7 smarting. The D6 isn't hit as hard as I'd like, but with the previous damage he is now crippled.

I turn and run, the fighters are now to late as they drop EM, and whilst I take a bit of damage from phasers I am safley heading for the map edge.

We call it there, the klingons can get 1 more extreme range volley before I disengage, but it won't be enough to do much through full strength rear shields.

Aftermath:

The largest battle we have yet played, almost 1100 pts on the klingon side, ends indecisively. The Klingons have a crippled D6 and damaged D7 and C8, and have lost 3 fighters. The Feds have a damaged BC and CC and lost all their fighters. That said it was still a very interesting game.

From my perspective the 2 biggest factors in how I ended up playing were the sensors and plasma fighters, the first makes a point blank assualt more or less essential the second makes it incredibly hard to do that, whilst it may appear they didn't do much, the romulan fighters really dominated the game simply by their presence. My fighters were nothing in comparison - maybe I mis-used them, ok they did do a serious chunk of damage to the D6, but they just didn't seem as useful. Certainly in defence of a base like target fighters seem like an ideal weapon.

VP:
Fed -120 for loss of 12 fighters.
Klingon: -30 for the loss of 3 fighters. +200 VP for holding the field (a new VP category we have introduced)
duxvolantis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
BATS assault AAR continued]

I had decided to charge in sidewards, i.e slip in such a way that the enemy were in my FA and my number 6 faced them.

Tactical comment. This is as relevant to FC as SFB.

When doing base assaults, always perform the initial approaches to use #2 and then #6. (unless you are hydran/romulan/gorn.. which have a different base assault strategy) before allowing damage to your #1.

It is imperative, even if non-intuitive, that you preserve your #1 shield for the "kill shot" on the BATS.
Capt Jack
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moon

BATS defence update!

Victory For The Klingon Empire! The Brave Capt Jack interposed his ships between the dastardly Feds and the Bats. His ships took the brunt of the damage.

Commander Targs genius masterplan, was unbalanced by the craven fleeing of the Feds!

The high command are still baffled by the complexitys of Targs masterplan? (Defending fighters with warships ships) Rolling Eyes

On an unrelated note the Romulan Captain of the carrier is in sickbay. He was injured by either;

1 Falling down stairs?

2. Repeatedly slipping in the shower?

Thats all for now.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assasinate AAR (or actually still ongoing action report)

This has been a long drawn out fight so far, and we have had 2 shorter than normal evenings, so we are still to finish later this week hopefuly (on the the third session). Due to the length of time, and just being so busy with other things I can't really remember many details. This is more an overview of what has happened thus far.

First the basic premise of the scenario - The 'attacker' has caught an enemy allied Command Cruiser carrying a VIP commander in a bad position. The 'defenders' must keep the command cruiser intact. There is no provision for transporting the VIP, he will stay with his ship and go down with it. This is a 4 * 4 panel (large hexes) location map based on the CC, the CC can therefore force ships to 'disengage' as it moves. The scenario will last 10 turns, at which point other ships from the attacker side are assumed to arrive and overwhelm the defender. The 'defender' gets 100 extra points but must buy a CC from one of his allies. The attacker starts 18 hexes behind the CC.

NB the 10 turn limit is to prevent the defender just going EM and speed 32 away from the attacker, resulting in a pointless game (Feds literally can't hit such a vessel and even klingons are struggling).

Obviously the scenario is drawn up not being sure who will be the attacker or how big a battle it will be, so it could play very differently each time. The aim of the scenario though was a battle that had a good chance of being a running engagement at high speed that would require a bit more thought on how to fight it, but could also turn into a close range fight if the defender wanted to take advanatage of his points bonus. However, the attacker has a very clear objective worth good VP, and the game would end immediatley the CC was destroyed so there were clear risks to standing and fighting as the defender - especially in a large game with lots of firepower around.

The forces are:

Fed (attacking)
DN
CL
CL
DD
FF

Klink (running)
Rom Hawk CC (the 2 * S variety, Nova or Royal??)
D6
F5
F5
E4
E4

Jack has both F5s and an E4, Targ the others.

We had our usual pre game chat, the klingons seemed convinced they had no chance whilst I was convinced that this was a hideous fight for me. I've also made it clear that I'd really like to replay this one afterwards as the klingons to see it from the other side.

Obviously our ship selection is heavily influenced by all the other battles this rounds and what ships we wanted in them. I've got 2 CLs which I'm not that keen on generally, a DD which is power starved at the best of times, never mind a high speed chase. The enemy has plenty of small ships, but they do have good manouvering and good phaser arcs for the sort of game I'm expecting them to fight. The Rom CC is a good choice as my need to close at speed with probably little power spare for weapons should make the plasma a nightmare. I do however have the elephant in the room - the DN. I put that in on the basis that I'd better have 1 ship that can engage a CC in a 1 vs 1 if it gets down to all other ships having been forced to disengage via the CC's movement.

Pre-game start.

My dilemma starts before we even get to turn 1. Do I prearm photons?

We start at range 18, I will have to go speed 24 on the basis that the enemy will. Losing batteries and having to pay for second arming turn is just not very feasible if I end up in a speed 32 run. On the other hand if I don't then I could be looking at the enemy turning and heavily strafing me on turn 1, before pulling away again, my room for manouver against such an attack could be severly limited if the CC still runs as I will need to keep hard after it to avoid disengagement.

After much pondering I decide not to prearm, I'll rely on the fact that I have lots of Ph1s that can kick hard, plus I can probably afford to take damage to a ship or 2 as long as a couple of others keep up with the CC.

Turn 1:

I start powering a few photons, I can't really afford all photons. Also I doubt they will be that useful as there is a good chance I'll never get range 8 or less in the first few turns. But I want a few to help disuade short range klingon attacks.

The klingon plan seems to have been thrown in to some confusion by me not starting with photons, nor even starting to arm all of them. Suddenly they seem to think that some sort of attack on me is a not unreasonable idea, though there is clearly a disagreement on how to execute that attack. This results in what appears to be a serious klingon error. The D6 and an E4 turn and close fast to shoot at me at range 8-10, I can't remember quite how close it was now, where they could aim at power (pretty much all aiming has been at power in this game so far). The 2 F5s and the other E4 turn slower looking to stay at a longer sniping range. My FF gets mauled somewhat but the closer klingon ships are caught out by my manouvering and take all the Ph1 fire I can rake up, given my power limits, at close range aimed also at power, this smacks the D6 who watches his power plummet to below 24 which could be crucial in coming turns.

Turns 2 - Y (the next few turns have blurred into each other)

Following the intial turn 1 exchange my FF swung left towards the 2 F5s and E4 with the intent of disengaging, but remaining on for a bit longer to distract those ships as it had both photons coming online. The DN just plowed on through the klingon line towards the quarterb.. I mean the CC. The DD and CLs swung right to follow up on the D6 and E4 that had turned round behind me.

The FF didn't achieve much but it was hit more by the klingons and cripppled, at which point (due to our house rule on marine losses at cripple status) was boarded just before it disengaged. That boarding action is more or less over with now, the klingons having won. The DD and CLs took a good swipe against the E4 but the D6 and E4 in return hit the DD badly which then disengaged. The CLs then swept back round to strafe the F5s on the other side of the battle, the DN has continued plowing on forwards with the occaisonal deviation to fire mass phasers at the smaller klingon ships. The klingon vessels have regrouped more or less with the CLs in pusruit. An F5 was boarded by us but whilst klingon marines were annihilating us on the FF we seemed to be sticking to the non-violent shoot to stun policy in our attack!

As the DN closed the CC dropped EM and HET'd to launch plasma at it, though it could not rake up the 1 point of power to get the second plasma to an S. The range was just wrong for the DN and it couldn't get close enough to hit the Romulan in any meaningful way whilst avoiding the plasma, so ended up Het'ing as well. The romulan did not then do what I expected (run in the opposite direction) and instead ran back to the other klingon ships on a parallel course to the DN (which couldn't turn on it for several impulses as it ran out the plasma).

In summary, so far I have kept the DN pretty focused on keeping up with the CC (but shooting the smaller klinks) whilst the other ships have been engaged in battle that has zig-zagged across the map at high speed as my smaller ships have been 'tagging' each of the klingon vessels in order to make it harder for them to keep up and/or engage me in the later stages of the game if it comes down to only my DN left still on the map.

As things stand I have a DN and 2 CLs still pristine barring shield damage (which is building up quite a bit on the DN), the klingon vessels are all to some extent battered, the rom CC is untouched. My FF and DD are disengaged with the FF more or less captured, 1 of the E4s has also disengaged, and an F5 has an ongoing attempt by fed marines to capture it. Whilst the klingons definately made a bad mistake on turn 1, the nature of the scenario has meant that it was not a massive game changing mistake, the speed of the ships has not really allowed for big decisive alpha strikes, nor time to turn around and finish off damaged vessels.

In theory we are about half way through the turns, but hopefully later this week it will be concluded. I think it is still to close to call at the moment.

I'll update all the campaign situation after this batte ready for the next campaign round.
duxvolantis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novahawk is the 2-S version. Royal has 1 R.

In this situation I would have chosen the KRC instead as it has better plasma arcs for a chase scenario and more plasma. (2xS and 2xF in LP/RP arcs and 2xD in LS/RS arc). FP plasmas are harder to use in a chase.

The plasma D have short range but are free and will be moving at speed 64 in a chase situation, so they should tie up some phasers.

That being said, the Novahawk can fire 7 phaser 1's down either RR/LR hex-spine meaning a single 60-degree turn (and superior turn mode to the Fed DN) can bring them into arc which combined with the Plasma-Fs should make it painful to chase for too long. It is much easier to spread chase damage across 3 shields than it is for a pursuing ship to keep damage off #1 without losing ground.

Interesting scenario. Sounds like fun.
Targ
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah it's been a fun game we're into week 3 (need to Finish on friday as I've a table Top game Sat) and starting turn 5 of 10. I think to be honest I did mess things up by getting to close with the D6 in turn 1; this may have lost us the game. I'm in the situation now with it were I can either go at a good speed but not fire or speed 8/8+ and fire, and have been repairing engines ever since, power now 25.

The line of reasoning for choosing the Nova Hawk went something like this; first of all we had a choice of Lyran or Rom for the ambassador's ship. I went for Rom as thay have a good ranged 'crunch' weapon, something we normally do not have access to in this campaign. That left a choice of 4 ships the King Eagle, KRC, Royla Hawk and Nova Hawk. Dismissed the King Eagle straight away as it only had 1 heavy weapon and turn mode of D. Then the Royal Hawk went as it too only had 1 R (yes a powerfull weapon but in my eye to many eggs in 1 basket, particularly with the plasma loading sequence). That left the KRC and the Nova and to be honest I should have gone for the KRC in this case, it's got a better turn mode and in this situation better arcs on the plasma S's, I'm finding the PF arc a right pain whilst running. Unfortunately I was seduced by the Nova's 50 pionts of power (with batteries).

I think the game still has a lot of play but Storelf has the edge at the moment, but having said that last time Cpt.Jack came round for a cupper he threw some interesting ideas into the mix and for once I agree with them. Shocked Well at least some of them. Smile

I'll leave it at that for the mo, and post again after the battle is finished.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continued AAR...

The second half of the game started with my CLs having the damaged but reasonably good F5 behind them, the other F5 out on my right, my DN ahead of the Cls and the Novahawk a couple of map panels further ahead of that, the D6 and E4 were off to my left and front.

My ability to deal with the pursuing F5 was somewhat restricted by the fact that I had to move forwards and get to the next map panel as they were in danger of being disengaged via the romulans movement. It also appeared that the F5 was trying to get close enough to tractor one of my ships and slow me down. I did however manage to get in a slip and turn to fire 4 phasers from each ship that hammered the F5.

The DN, who wasn't facing the right direrction, was busy turning to follow the novahawk and engage the D6/E4 pair, however, with his poor turn mode he was left somewhat stranded when the novahawk suddenly turned back around and attacked my ships, zipping past the DN at mid range and heading towards the Cls. Suddenly the tables were turned and my CLs were staring a pulsing plasma ship coming at them with no power to do much about it, they ran to put space between us.

By now the Klingons had realised that they could control the floating of the map with their knackered F5s, by keeping them on the far row/column to the where I was heading I wouldn't be able to float the map, as only the Romulan CC could force the disengagement of ships in that manner. As a result my CLs found themselves getting cornered by the Romulan bearing down on them as the turn ended. At least one of the Pl-Fs had been shot at the DN on the way past, which with the high energy requirements of this game was not readily shot down, and with it heading at badly damaged shields had forced the DN to slip out for a couple of impulses and take it as a 10 pt hit.

Realising I couldn't get the CLs away from the Romulan as I was cornered I started the next turn at speed 16, which both gave me instant turn mode fulfillment, enough power to overload the 1 armed photon on each ship, fire phasers and HET. I then turned at the CC accepting I was about to get hammered by plasma but also I would hopefully hammer the Romulan. That move went reasonably well, I couldn't avoid a split shield arc which allowed the Romulan to take each volley on a different shield, but the CC was still badly smarting and had crucially lost some power. The plasma was launched at range 2 (split between the 2 ships), even with the HET I could only outrun for 1 impulse, and that would only save me 4 damage. Instead I rammed the plasma and Het'd behind the Romulan in order to use my last power with my offside phasers up his backside at point blank range.

The end result was a badly damaged romulan and 2 badly damaged CLs, but the Romulan was then unable to avoid the DN due to power loss, the final moments of the battle saw the CLs manage to kill the crippled E4, the F5s and D6 disengaged whilst the DN finshed off the romulan.

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:44 am; edited 2 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a long game, but certainly very interesting and quite different from the more normal close and overload style battles. The fact that I had to declare speed 24 each turn (less I find myself disengaged by the romulan) and keep power for accels, left me relying almost entirely on phasers, I think I only used 8 photons in the entire 7 or so turns even though I started with 5 ships and 16 tubes. Only 2 of those photons were overloaded.

The game ended up with ships spread out all over, zig-zagging across the map with half an eye on the romulan to make sure that wherever he went I would be able to get off the map panel that would be floated across. Even the klingons had problems with that at times, as they suddenly realised that someone needed an extra move or 2 and the romulan woud have to pull up via slips or decels.

Although I was doing significant damage to all of the klingon ships I just didn't have the time or power to finish them off.

VP for the battle.

Fed:
FF destroyed -78
kill the target +500.

Klingon:
FF captured +78
CC destroyed -192
E4 destroyed -62

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:46 am; edited 2 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ended the campaign round, and we then did the supply phase.

Due to last rounds convoy raids the klingons have only 1 action and they use it to bring on another C8 and replace their lost fighters, doing no repairs. They gratefully accept the freebie F5.

The Feds repair the BC, CC, and replace 4 fighters. They also bring on a new CC. We also take the freebie DD.

The next round starts with the following positions.

The current Scores on the doors are:
Fed = 11393
Klink = 8561

The OOBs

Fed:
DN
BC
2 * CC
2 * CA
CL
CL (7)
CL (6)
3 * DD (crippled)
2 * DD
FF (10)
FF
CVS (4 f-18s)

Klinks:
2* C8
C8 (9)
D7C
D7
D7 (7)
2 * D6 (crippled)
D6 (11)
2 * F5
2 * F5 (crippled)
2 * E4 (8 )
E4 (3)
Rom CV (16 Ftrs)

Last edited by storeylf on Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3 battles for this round are drawn.

1 - Attacker has put a survey team on an enemy planet, which happens to be rich in a valuble mineral. However, the enemy have kept this pretty secret. Should the survey team get away with this info the enemy will have to lose a ship permantely from their OOB to partol the area for pirates who will flock to the area.

2- Breakdown, The largest damaged (not crippled) ship on the defender side has broken down and the attacker takes the opportunity to attack as the defender rushes to protect it. The target ship starts with all warp power non-functional, starting turn 2 will get D6 back online per turn (so a bit like wyn radiation). NB the largest damaged ships are a CL for the feds and a C8 for the klinks. The damaged ship does not count towards the points the defender has to spend though.

3 - Spy, The attacker has a spy on an enemy planet who has obtained vital info. The attacker must grab the spy and escape with him. If they can then next campaign round the defender must reveal all their points cards for the 3 battles before the other side chooses points ofr them. It requires 50 lab points to locate the spy (which hexisde he is on) and then they need to recover and escape with him.

We play cards for terrain choice and the 3 battles.

Terrain:

Fed = 0, Klingon = 100

Battles:

1 - Fed = 100, Klingon = 0 (auto victory to me)
2 - Fed = 800, Klingon = 200 (500 pts battle)
3 - Fed = 200, Klingon = 800 (500pts battle)

So the Klingons have accepted the default on battle 1 and concentrated onthe other 2.

They wanted to be defender in battle 2, gambling that a free C8 even power starved is still a big edge. I coud have scuppered that plan by choosing defender myself, but I fancy a go at the broken down DN. The klingons have used their terrain choice to make this an asteroid map.

The klingons choose attacker in battle 3, not surprisingly as the campaign effect for success is quite good.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breakdown AAR

So the klingon C8 'IKV Doomed' has broken down, the damage it sustained in its previous fight causing a warp engine malfunction. It has manouvered into an asteroid field seeking cover as the crew desperately try to bring power back online. The breakdown has been picked up by Fed ships who arrive at the scene as a klingon battle group arrives to cover the repair.

Klingon force:

C8 (damaged from previous battle and starting with a 9 point internal volley) and with all warp temporarily offline, it recovers d6 * 1.5 warp each turn starting on turn 2. Starts in middle of map.

C8 (So there are 2 Klink DNs on the map)
D7C
F5

Fed force:

BC
CC
CA

The 2 converging forces start in opposite corners. My randomly assigned corner is a nightmare - there is a wall of asteroids making it all but impossible to pile straight in at the target. The Klingons, however, get a nice highway to the middle of the map.

My ships do not pre-arm and hit speed 24, the klingons are 16 (D7c and C8 ) and 24 (F5) whilst the target vessel is speed 0 - it actually has imp, reac and battery power to allow about speed ~12.

My ships are left with little choice but to take a wide sweep around and end no where near the middle. The klingons move towards the middle with the C8 'Doomed' moving behind the rescuers. There is some fire, but it's not effective. I dump spare power to partial overload a few photons.

Turn 2, the 'Doomed' rolls a 1 for warp repair, haha, they need properly trained engineers. I slow down slightly and go speed 16(+) looking to loop around the central klingons using asteroids for some cover and espcially against drones as I'm badly out droned. But speed 16 means I'll have some power for a fight if that happens. Slightly surprisingly the larger central klingon ships only go speed 8, the F5 is 16 and the 'Doomed' still at zero. They are probably looking to keep a tight circle with them between me and the broke down C8.

As planned I do manage to loop around the klingons in the middle, whilst they are at less then range 8 for several impulses at the back end of the turn, the asteroids are preventing a clear shot. The 'Doomed' is circling back round, but oddly appears to be coming back in such a way that it is actually getting dangerously closer to me, I manange to keep ahead of a nasty group of drones launched at me by using asteroids, and launch my paltry drones at the klingons, which results in them holding back slightly for an important impulse whilst they maximise ADD fire.

On impulse 8 I have a chance to move to range 1 to the 'Doomed', though I am expecting it to HET back to range 2, either way it will get asteroid cover. The other klingon ships will be pretty close behind me, but I'll rely on asteroids to help mitigate some damage. As I close it becomes obvious that the 'Doomed' has not enough power for a HET and I end up at range 1 and centerlining it with all 3 of my ships. The result is pretty predictable at that point, I lob everything and the kitchen sink at it to be sure (don't want those asteroids to cause photons to miss and fail to kill it). THe Klingons behind me hammer my Command cruiser. The result is a C8 dead and a badly crippled CC. The Klingons promptly board the CC to capture it as I emergency evacuate and self destruct.

The game then ends as the target C8 is dead.

A very short and utterly brutal game. I started badly (the corner I rolled was an killer given the scenario), but the klingons made 2 errors IMO that cost them their C8 - moving speed 8 gave me the initiative and the speed edge to circle around them and straight to the C8, at the same time the C8 was turning back towards the rescuers (and me) rather than trying to keep away for few turns. I could see what the klingons were trying to do, but it turned out that they were more hindered by the asteroids than me as the turn progressed.

VPs

Fed:
+ 100 for objective
- 151 CC destroyed.

Klingon
-256 C8 destroyed.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spy AAR

A klingon Spy has obtained vital military intel, but the klingons can only find out what it is by pulling the spy off the planet. The Feds have a group of vessels around the planet though so the Klingons have dispatched a good force to deal with the situation. The map is 4 * 4 large hex location map around a planet.

Forces -

Fed:
CC
CA
DD
FF

Klingon:
C8
D7
F5

The klingions need 50 lab points before rolling a D6 to see which hex side the spy is on, then they must grab him and disengage with him. The consequences are quite bad for me next campaign round if they succeed. On the other hand, flush with victory after the earlier battle (We played both this and the previous game on the same day) I'm looking to bag another C8!!

The klingons are off to great start, there is a quick meeting between Targ and Jack, and they come back having reached immediate agreement on what to do - miracle. Impulse 1 promptly starts with an argument about whether to accelerate - thats more like it!!

Expecting a quick advance I prearm photons, then go speed 16. The klingons, however, are being much more dastardly this time and go speed 8. I avoid range 15 as I move out to meet them somewhat - I was tempted to stay behind the planet till they got close, but decided to move out and make it more awkward to get the lab points in the first place. The long range fire at the turn end is not to bad from the klingons and my DD is hit quite hard. Lots of drones head to my CC.

Turn 2 I move 16 again, the klingons also go speed 16. I'm currently quite some way off to the right of the planet as I'm looking at it and the klingons start to swing to the left of it. I therefore cut across the map in a long slip just managing to keep ahead of the drones and ADD them (or a good few of them), however more drones are launched and I end up having to turn slightly back to keep away from them. That manouver, however, is interpreted as me trying to cut the klingions off and they turn around to start a long loop around to come back in on the other side. They do however fire and clobber my DD and to some extent my FF. The turn ends with me between them and the planet but with them heading back around and me turning back to pursue them. I have so far failed to put any damage on the klingons whereas my DD has taken internals and the FF has a dented front shield. Things are not looking good, I'm running with a number of overloads held and that is hurting my power whilst the klingon keeps the range open.

Turn 3 I hit speed 24 with just enough power on the cruisers to hit 24+ all turn. The klingons go 24. The turn sees me pursue the klingons to the back of the map and then into a corner whilst outrunning all of his drones. My FF/DD gets hit more and I manage to rake up just enough power to dent the D7 number 3. Crucially though the klingons have run out of room to run, and they have gone EM at the back end of the turn but not managed to turn across me properly.

Turn 4. We started just a few hexes away, I'm slightly spread out (power issues has meant slightly different speeds, and also some anti drone manouvering by some ships). His large ships drop EM, I'm going 24 except the CC who being closer can go 16 and still cut of the escape route.

The klingons slow down to 16 and HET at the end of impulse 1, There is a tense moment as the CC and C8 must move simultaneous and I'm try to work out which way he is HETing etc. It works out perfectly for me and my move puts my CC at range 2 to the D7 and C8, but on a split shield. The CC blasts the D7 which does significant damage but not quite enough to cripple it. The CC in return comes off very lightly as each volley is taken on different shields and he only suffers about half a dozen internals. The other Fed ships now swoop in and all get a range 1 firing solution on the C8 which wrecks the vessel, and my CA has enough to power to tractor to the C8 so he is unable to make the last 4 hexes to disengage. We are in a static situation with neither ship having power left for accels. The remainder of the turn sees my ships circle around, the CC trying to shake a stack of 7 drones without enough power to keep away, but my ADDs are appalling and even when the FF moves to help they don't do much. He takes some drone damage in the end but a fresh shield stops the brunt of it.

The D7 disengages and the C8 is vaporised the following turn. The F5 who has reached the planet decides that he has not enough labs to find the spy before facing the feds again, and also leaves the scene.

Another brutal game. This one started very badly for me, I thought I was going to face death by traditional klingon tactics as I watched my smaller ships take a pounding before I had even drawn blood. This was one of those games where I think the klingons made a number of minorish errors that culminated in their predicament. Eventually, holding my nerve against the drone superiority and the pounding I was taking got me into the advantageous chase and corner position.

It should also be noted that we were not just taking on these 3 ships, on numerous occasions we intercepted klingon communications about what the D6, C9, C10 and a whole pack of E4s would be doing. Clearly the Klingons deep space fleet had dispatched a veritable armada to the area, but were disuaded from attacking due to our superb victory. Smile

Result:

C8 destroyed
D7 damaged [9]

CC damaged [2]
DD damaged [5]
FF damaged [5]

VPs

Fed:
Hold the battle field +200
Decisive victory (gave up no VPs) +300

Klingon:
-256 C8 destroyed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: