Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Play Prime Directive Online - Donjebruche Campaign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojo_billbo
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking Yes, and I would be willing to shell out some cash for him...

I'm also still researching what, if anything, i want to spend cash on..
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.

Just to reiterate it... you nabbed $15,000 altogether.

You guys started the game flat broke (not counting gear), so this is a relatively big deal. (You get to eat! Yea!)

But that is split four ways... not counting what goes to Rokerig. (Fred Mercury is still with you... now as an NPC again. He gets a share, too.)

Technically... Rokerig never saw $5,000 for the data chip from the first part of the adventure-- he's just seeing the $10,000 Muankaal just gave you guys. His deal was with everyone except Rokerig... and he paid you guys in $2,500 chunks. (Cold hard credit.) So each of the four main characters (Skexis, Jack, Fred, and Marcus) should have $3750 now.

(Not sure if these details help/matter, but there it is!)

Depressingly enough... after risking life and limb... you do not have enough to buy a Phaser Rifle!

That, however, does not put a dollar value on (a) a free ticket off-planet and (b) the chance for continuing employment with Muankaal.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder: it is Y160.
Skexis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skexis' shopping list: get some armor, Kevlar vest or similar. I need a better gun. Do I have any options? Anything left over will go to drinking and whores.

I like your suggestion on DX, Jeff. My last point I'll keep for later.

Even being the weirdest thing in the party, I don't think I need to get into psi powers, magic, etc. I'm not that kind of space alien.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skexis started the game with 1/5th starting wealth due to being poor.

Marcus's tech skills are at TL 10. Captain Jack's are at 10-12.

No TL is listed for Donjebruche. The ships in Y160 are at TL12.

Thinking out loud here:

Starting wealth for TL 10 is $50,000!!! (I did not have GPD when I started this campaign, so probably assumed people would have something closer to $1,000 starting wealth... or $200 in the case of someone that is "poor".) Marcus and Captain Jack... what were you thinking wrt starting wealth when you made your character? Looks like Marcus knew about the better wealth at TL 10-- he could afford a phaser pistol. Captain Jack doesn't have equipment listed in his character dump... but we know he shot a Fralli with a phaser in his opening scene.... And a good phaser-2 costs $3000.

Captain Jack and Marcus have some kind of naval background that would justify better starting wealth. Trying to think what the GM error is here.... Hmm.... Maybe... I didn't make Skexis poor enough? (I designed Skexis from player input, so any build errors are my fault.)

Skexis can get a good Phaser-2 for $3,000. But everyone else started with a phaser, so Skexis should maybe have one, too, already.

DR45 Heavy Combat armor might be what he wants. It's 66.5 pounds and $3,100. Three more levels of Strength attribute would make that "no encumbrance", but still... that heavy combat armor will give him one level of encumbrance that deals -1 to dodge and -1 to move when he wears it. Skexis does not have a rifle skill, so he shoots them... if I'm reading this right... at a -2 familiarity penalty on his pistol skill.
Skexis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I had a phaser during the adventure. Im probably going to get the armor first and save up for the phaser upgrade. Rifle skill will be my next priority when I have some points.
mojo_billbo
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Jack was broke from getting an identity change...
he had the phaser from his previous life, previous identity... so that's explains him being dead broke...
paul
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already updated Marcus bought him some armor and a better knife....aromour I monoycrys suit with a medium monocrys jacket..want to a little discrete....will contribute remaining to captain jack once I relook at whatelse I might need. If we aren't restricted to armor and gear in prime directive then ineed to look at ultra tech.

Also jeffro, if there are similar items in prime directive as in ultra tech which one supersedes the other? Because certain items are stated differently in ut than in pd
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wrote:
Also jeffro, if there are similar items in prime directive as in ultra tech which one supersedes the other? Because certain items are stated differently in ut than in pd

GPD equipment is the default, most common equipment.

Ultratech... being the proverbial kitchen sink... requires GM-approval and possibly even an availability penalty. However... if something in it is cool and fits with the setting/story... I'm probably game. (Fred's machine guns did not, IMO, quite fit the setting even though they are in the core GPD books.... Funny, that.)
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another odd thing:

The notion of spending earned character points to affect outcomes in game first appeared [in the GURPS line] in GURPS 4e. I do not see that rule in the GURPS Prime Directive core book! My experience with that sort of thing in Serenity and Doctor Who is that it is lame anyway, but....

If you think you want to spend points in-game... you can ask... however... most of the time you can get away with just describing what you want to do and leaving it to me to figure out how to translate it into rules. So I might charge an unspent character point for some actions, however... I don't lean that way... and in any case... the sort of play on your part does not seem to lean that way... so this is maybe TMI... but hey... I noticed this and thought to mention it.

-- jeffro the rulebook readin' fool
paul
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll relook at what I bought and make sure it matches up with pd as far as weapon stats.
Jeffr0
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I earlier said that we would be pretty lenient (ie, break the rules) on how character points got spent up until 200...

BUT... with the game moving so slowly (hint, hint), I had time to read the rules and rethink that.

Spending earned points to improve attributes costs double, I see now. And that makes sense. I can see why the game is rigged that way.

SO... I'm going to let Skexis DX boost stand seeing as he is a GM-designed character for a player that is new to GURPS. I'm pretty sure Marcus and Jack were designed by players that knew what they were paying for when they designed them... so I'm going require those two to follow the spending rule on attributes. I doubt you guys were going to buy attributes anyway... and I doubt you guys will mind having a Skexis watching your back with +1 on all his DX skills....

This is just more of... "play by the book by default... but make something up to keep things moving... but learn the right way later if you have time." PM me if I've made you cry. Wink
paul
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with that...

I should have my equipment finalized by tomorrow
mojo_billbo
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to keep the little cash we each got for now to live off of...
so I'm not purchasing anything at this time.
Skexis
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back over the thread... I've got some armor and a little left over to live. I do have basic beam weapon proficiency and my phaser from the last adventure. I think I'm good to go if the DX upgrade stands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Prime Directive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27

Jump to: