Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FC: War And Peace - Andromedan vs Federation play test repor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the PC, it's not about total burnthrough damage in a turn, but BT in a single shot. 2 or 3 separate BT won't really hurt the Andro much, but if you get it in one shot, you can potentially start hitting TRs, PAs, and batteries which will hurt.

I realize that the rock-paper-scissors aspect of FC means that some empires can have significant disadvantages vs others in head to head play, but with the Selts, it's taking that to an extreme vs Andros. Just looking at the CL vs Mamba, I don't see how the CL stands a chance with equal players. I would expect the Mamba to win roughly 9 out of 10 in a head to head fight with equally skilled players without the disrupter code. If the CL has a hidden advantage vs the Mamba that I'm unaware of, please let me know.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the FC rules for shield crackers retain some sort of anti-PA effect, that might help somewhat.

In any case, a SC rule would be of more use to the Selts without effecting how the particle cannon operates for other empires (Neo-Tholian, M81 Pirate).

Plus, as noted in the B92 thread, you could take CLEs instead of CLs if you don't like particle cannons...
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
If the FC rules for shield crackers retain some sort of anti-PA effect, that might help somewhat.

In any case, a SC rule would be of more use to the Selts without effecting how the particle cannon operates for other empires (Neo-Tholian, M81 Pirate).

Plus, as noted in the B92 thread, you could take CLEs instead of CLs if you don't like particle cannons...

I think the SC would only help marginally since it eats so much power and the Selts need all the power they can get, especially since the Andros are probably going 24 or higher with their huge amounts of power available.

I think a Neo-Tholian with PC in the home galaxy would be worse off vs Andros than in the Milky Way with Disrupters. Same basic ship, but the Milky Way version can potentially zap a TR, PA, or BAT in an alpha strike vs a fresh Andro, whereas the home galaxy version can't.

The CLE is overpriced for the points unless Aegis rules are in effect. And the Aegis only makes a difference in fleet actions vs races with lots of seeking weapons, not Andros. The CLE is the exact same ship as the CL, but it's 12 pts more expensive and the only difference other than Aegis is that 3 PCs get replaced with 3 PH1s. Without Aegis rules in a fleet action vs seekers, the 2 ships should be worth about the same points.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Andromedan preview!

Plus others, too.

(Not too sure about how the DOM is laid out, though. Feels like there's a lot of spare room on the card...)
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Garry!

Edit:

Has anyone else noticed that, if battery power is left out, then Andromedan ships suffer from the same lack of power issues as Galactics? The Intruder cannot fly at Speed 24 and fire all of its weapons without using battery power, for example.

Last edited by terryoc on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't thank me, Tery!

(Hmm... We seem to have gotten an r misplaced. Fancy a trade?)
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing it out, I hadn't spotted that update Smile
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the DOM might look if you rotated it to one side (like on the Conquistador card) then moved both fore and aft panel blocks to either the left or right of the ship...

(Too late for this card, but maybe if any of the variant dreadnoughts from R7 were to be done in the future? Or other big ships like the DEV, for that matter?)
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(3G3a) POWER COST: Unlike shields, there is a power cost to operate power absorbers of one-half of an energy point per panel box in each bank, e.g., seven points for an Intruder. See (3G5).

Is that an all or nothing affair per bank? If I have a bank of 4 panels do I have to activate all 4 for a cost of 2, or can I choose to activate only 2 panels for a cost of 1?

Quote:
(3G5a2) Deactivation cannot be done if doing so would result in internal damage to the ship. This includes failing to allocate power, unless all of the power in the ship has already been used to keep the panels active and is not enough.

I'm not quite sure how to read that.

Taking the above bank with 4 panels - this has a cost of 2 to activate the whole bank. If it is full and I only have 1 power available in EA for whatever reason, do I have to expend it trying to keep the bank active even though it won't? the above sounds like I have to use all power to keep PAs active even if it is not enough. Would I keep 2 panels active with the 1 power (implying we can pay for part banks rather than the entire bank) and only taking the 2 unactivated panels as cascade damage (and deactivating 2 panels). Or does failure to pay for all panels result in the entire bank deactivating and the entire lot cascading?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the first part... it's all or nothing.

As for the second part, mjwest will have to clarify.
I'd hazard a guess that if you have enough power to power the whole bank (at least the non-disabled part) then you must do so; and if you can not power the entire bank - then you need not power any of it.
But that's just my interpretation of the rules.

SVC's ruling via mjw will let us know the real answer.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that under the FC DAC an Andro ship can be virtually gutted without losing all, or even many, PA panels.

Then on the next turn's EA, it blows up.
mojo jojo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a battery gets hit, can the Andro choose to disable a full battery instead of empty to preserve space for a PA dump?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojo jojo wrote:
If a battery gets hit, can the Andro choose to disable a full battery instead of empty to preserve space for a PA dump?

Yes.
m1a1dat
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="storeylf"]
Quote:

Taking the above bank with 4 panels - this has a cost of 2 to activate the whole bank. If it is full and I only have 1 power available in EA for whatever reason, do I have to expend it trying to keep the bank active even though it won't? the above sounds like I have to use all power to keep PAs active even if it is not enough. Would I keep 2 panels active with the 1 power (implying we can pay for part banks rather than the entire bank) and only taking the 2 unactivated panels as cascade damage (and deactivating 2 panels). Or does failure to pay for all panels result in the entire bank deactivating and the entire lot cascading?

Generaly if you do not have enough power to operate your your panels then your batteries have been destoryed and you are heavily damaged with mostly full panels that will dump all that energy back into damage points when you don't power them and finish off your ship, so it doesn't matter so much what you can do with that couple points of power you do have. But there can be some rare instances where it matters. Also so an Andros primary repair will be it's batteries.

It's good that they can keep track of the battery power seperatly and maybe it's covered in rules we haven't seen, but it just seems weird to me that the Andros can turn the engines off and have the ship moved by just the batteries and not have the warp engines involved for movement at all when reducing power to use the batteries.
HappyDaze
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Another Andromedan preview!

Plus others, too.

(Not too sure about how the DOM is laid out, though. Feels like there's a lot of spare room on the card...)

Did anyone else notice that the preview for booster pack 28 shows an ISC ship when the contents state it has the Vudar ships in it? Likewise, the preview for booster pack 29 shows a Vudar ship but states it has the ISC ships in it. Either the contents or the preview ships are off, but this should be an easy one to fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: