Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is a Federation Commander Campaign?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, I didn't think die cutting would be an issue for Federation Admiral? I was under the impression that FA was just a printed book that would be produced on in-house the Kyocera printers?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry: I think that was a reference to the die-cutter issue taking so much of SVC's design time, that all products (even those unrelated to the die-cutting issue) are being impacted.
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm going to sound like I'm new to these forums (which I am) but what is Federation Admiral? I understand it's a campaign, which I love. But is it a campaign you guys are doing on your own or is it going to be the F&E equivalent for FC? Will it be an official campaign or just in-house fun for a couple groups?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kahuna: without duplicating info here, I'd suggest you check out this thread... after that if you have any questions - feel free to ask away.
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Kahuna: without duplicating info here, I'd suggest you check out this thread... after that if you have any questions - feel free to ask away.

I've been following that thread as well. I'm not looking for campaign details. I was hoping to see if it's official and supported by ADB or is it a great effort being put on by you guys to us VBAM rules to create your own FC strategy game?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be an official, ADB sanctioned product - printed on ADB's equipment and marketed through ADB.
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is totally cool. Now I'm salivating once more. I'll continue to watch the forums. I played F&E years and years ago, but it took weeks, even months to finish a game. Hopefully this will do what FC did for SFB. Thanks for taking time to get me squared up here.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kahuna wrote:
Wow, that is totally cool. Now I'm salivating once more. I'll continue to watch the forums.

It's even more cool than you can imagine.
I've seen the stuff... played a couple of playtest campaigns... nd talked to Jay.
You and everyone else are going to love this product.

Kahuna wrote:
I played F&E years and years ago, but it took weeks, even months to finish a game.

We're lucky. We have 6 full-time F&E players in our home town (7 before my son joined the Army), so we've always got a Campaign going - and have had for the last 14 or so years. Not the same one of course, but since we only play once a month or so, it takes 2 or 3 years to finish out one.

Kahuna wrote:
Hopefully this will do what FC did for SFB.

It should do that... and more.

Kahuna wrote:
Thanks for taking time to get me squared up here.

Any time. I'm always glad to provide any info I can that'll help support ADB and my addicition of choice! Shocked
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, SFB was my very first table top game of any type. I was 14 at a 7 week Boy Scout camp when one of the guys pulled this out. Loved it, bought most SFB things until mid 90's. Now I'm much older and thought to look at SFB again and found FC. Man, I'm hooked.

Apart from the history lesson there, and now eagerly awaiting this campaign, is there any indication, hint, or even gossip about a target date on this? I'm guessing it's far down the line as none of the posts I've noticed talk about that yet, but if you or someone else knows more than that I'd certainly like to hear it.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, eargly await FA. How long does it take to play a full campaign? Will there be some camapigns run online? How simple is it? How Complicated is it? What would you do for a Klondke Bar? Does it always use the FC to resolve the battles? Does it follow SFU history, or is it just for random races fighting each other? Does it have a "Fleet Scale" and "Squadron Scale"?

I know, that's a lot of questions, but If anybody knows the answers, I'd love to hear them.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of those were answered in the previous thread(s).
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent seen the final rules for FA, but I've played the game it's based on (Victory By Any Means).

How long: Face to face, you could probably play a smallish campaign in a long evening. If you used the campaign scale combat resolution system. Playing over instant messenger or email would probably take longer. A campaign can take as long or short as you like, really.

Campaigns online: yes, that's already planned.

How simple/complicated: I reckon if you can handle FC, you can handle VBAM/FA. I think having someone else run a game you are playing in at first helps, but it's not that complex. The system is modular, so you CAN make it complicated if you want, but you can set it up to make it exactly the right level of complexity that you want.

Battle resolution: It has a campaign scale combat resolution system, that you can use to resolve battles if you don't want to use FC. You could also use SFB or the upcoming Klingon Armada if you wanted to.

SFU History: Both. You could set up a historical campaign, or a completely made up campaign, or a mix of both. Depends on the scenario.

Fleet/Squadron scale: Not really - if you're using FC to do the combat resolution, you could use either scale.

What it DOES have in terms of scale is "campaign scales". There's three, local, regional, and grand. Local campaigns take place in one 500-parsec F&E hex, and players are local sector commodores trying to develop their area economically and get other jobs done that their high command want done.

Regional might be one section of the front during a major war, e.g. the Federation-Klingon front during the general war, or a war like the Four Powers war.

Grand campaigns are the big ones - Like the whole General War! But even these might not have the same scope as F&E, you probably wouldn't want to have thousands of ships (unless you're nuts, or have several players per side).
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm what Terry said...

I have played FA... several times, and he is 100% correct in every aspect.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. Thanks Guys!

Although one question remains unanswered Wink
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
Cool. Thanks Guys!

Although one question remains unanswered Wink

I can think of two unanswered questions but the one I think you're referring to, the answer is, go to the store and get one Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Campaigns All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: