Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Better lighting for Starline miniature pictures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trynda1701
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Better lighting for Starline miniature pictures Reply with quote

I usually just set up minis for pics with room lighting at night, and use either my phone camera or a 5MP digital compact camera without flash. Usually they work out not bad, like below (the focus could be better!).

But what is a better lighting setup to eliminate harsh shadows like on the SL2200 Sparrowhawk below when photographing the Starline miniatures?

I don't want to go too expensive with this. I have access to an adjustable table lamp for example. I would like to hear peoples thoughts on the matter. What would be the best setup using that style lamp with some sort of diffussion/reflection on the above Sparrowhawk picture layout?

Mark

Check out www.AllScaleTrek.com. A new forum dedicated to Star Trek kits, miniatures and collectables.
bluebirds38
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool minis.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if your table lamp is using a fluorescent bulb? They often give a yellowish hue in pictures. You might try bright incandescent light against a flat black background.

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
Jack Bohn
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be the wrong person to speak, because I don't think the shadow is too harsh. (If you couldn't see the painted "lights" of the windows in it, that would be bad.) What you might want to do is shine a little -- a very little -- light at it from the front, close to the place where your camera is. You don't want to wash out the shadow, it gives shape to the sparrowHawk. You migvht not need a second lamp if you have a mirror you can stand up to bounce light in... or even bright white paper, depending on how close you can get.

The great thing about digital cameras is you don't have to pay for, or learn how to, developing the prints. Experiment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: