Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WYN Paint scheme
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: WYN Paint scheme Reply with quote

I recently completed my first WYN ship. I painted it in accordance with the online painting guide posted on www.starfleetgames.com. Here is the result:

Nothing about this color scheme strikes me as being WYN'ish [is that a word?], so I painted the rest of the first batch as I felt they should look:

Since I have several more WYN ships to finish, I have two options:
1) this mini goes in the dip and gets repainted
or
2) someone can own an authentic, Scoutdad original. If anyone like this paint scheme and wants a fully painted AxC, I'll give it to the first person to PM me and offer to pay the shipping costs. Smile
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noting the first picture posted of a painted Monitor mini.

Nice job on the paint (and the sculpt)!
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
Noting the first picture posted of a painted Monitor mini.

Nice job on the paint (and the sculpt)!

Thanks for the compliment, but I wasn't aware that htis ws the first posted monitor... kewl!!! Cool
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work on those WYN Scoutdad. I much prefer your take on them. And your sculpt of
the Monitor looks great with paint on it. Do you have any other shots of it...from
other angles?

UPFY
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet. I've not ahd any luck photoing white ships indoors. I plan to do some natural light, outdoor photos this evening - weather permitting. Those will include other angles.
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second ("Scoutdad Version") colour scheme definately befits those WYN ships more than the first. I think the chequered stripes really add a WYN feel to them, as well as providing just the right amount of colour variation so that they don't look too cluttered but don't look plain and boring, either.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I am going to fly into the face of what appears to be convensional wisdom here. I think the first one is more Wynish than the second batch... Why you ask Scoutdad did a phenominal job and his ships look great... Yes but unfortunately they have been corrupted by Adam Turner's (And this is not a dig on a exceptional artist.) Art Work. I felt Adam deviated to far from the Paint Guides when he made his Art Work. But there are atleast 4 Divisions in the Wyn Navy maybe Each Division Paint Scheme is significantly different form the others...

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose any take on any of these ships enters into the whole "eye of the beholder"
territory. I personally feel that Adam's art reflects a very nice updated feel to the entire
universe. Think of it this way: it's kinda like seeing the original footage of the Enterprise
plying her way through space - all blurry and bleached out on cellulose and then seeing
what she was supposed to look like in the remastered versions of TOS.

Those original painting diagrams were just one person's take on what he or she felt the
ships should look like. A suggestion, if you will. Adam has his own view. So does Scoutdad.
And whoever painted the red WYN ship in the ADB store obviously has their own take.

Not better. Not worse. Just different. Wink

UPFY
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Smith wrote:
Those original painting diagrams were just one person's take on what he or she felt the
ships should look like. A suggestion, if you will. Adam has his own view. So does Scoutdad.
And whoever painted the red WYN ship in the ADB store obviously has their own take.

Not better. Not worse. Just different. Wink

Ah, the beauty of personal preference.

Once again, nicely done Scoutdad. We haven't seen much from you lately, and I was beginning to get worried...

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dal Downing wrote:
Ok I am going to fly into the face of what appears to be convensional wisdom here. I think the first one is more Wynish than the second batch...

Well, 'dad was offering the original mini for *free*. If you liked it, it didn't look like anyone else was in line ahead of you ...

(And you might even be able to talk him into the WYN logos on either side, too. Smile )

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope... no takers so far. If you want it Dal - let me know. I can put it in the mail tomorrow.

Otherwise, It'll get "dipped" Sunday when I strip my newest acquisitions.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS wrote:
Once again, nicely done Scoutdad. We haven't seen much from you lately, and I was beginning to get worried...

I appreciate the concern, but it's been too hectic to actually paint anything recently.
As everyone knows from reading these topics, Mom has had three strokes, a heart attack, a complete respiratory failure, 8 weeks out of the last 12 in the hospital (and 5 of those in the ICU), and countless Grand Mal seizures...
My son Plasmaboy (Mark to the uninformed) entered US Army Basic Training 11 weeks ago...
At work, we've been chasing a $1.5 million project that finally bids tomorrow...
I've been working hard to get my part of Prime Directive D20 Modern done and out the door...
I nearly completed the Gendarme miniature only to realize that it wouldn't work... so back to square one, but the mulligan version is nearly completed...
all of that and a few other minor, everyday on-goings has not left time for a lot of painting.

I did manage to finish 4 more WYN ships tonight and prepped / primed the last 5 or 6, so they'll get painted up this weekend.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them all!
Evil Goatee
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still new to the whole Federation Commander setting, so forgive some of my naive questions. I was wondering, what is the WYN paint schemes based off of? The checker patterns make me scratch my head a bit. Although I admit that it could be because I don't fully understand that faction/race. If someone can elaborate?
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goatee welcome to the fun.

The answer is really simple but not at once obvious. SVC has posted some painting guides for the mins such as this one for the Wyn http://starfleetgames.com/documents/WYN_Painting_Guide.pdf

But that is strcitly a guide not intended to be a Hard Fast rule. If you want to paint you Fed Minis Blues with White Details that is your choice we have people that paint thier Klingons Green (TMP & TNG) and some who paint them Grey (TOS)

When Adam Turner designed the covers for Distant Kingdoms and the matching Boosters Covers he decided he wanted to spruce the Wyn color scheme up a little bit and added the "Checkerd Board" High Lights to them. Once again different but not wrong.

As far as painting your own ships, just go with what you like and do not worry about wither or not it will exactly match the "offical" color schemes unless you want them too.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: