Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What’s the difference in the Federation Heavy Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwiggington
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: What’s the difference in the Federation Heavy Cruiser Reply with quote

What’s the differents in the Federation Heavy Cruiser and the Federation CA (Zocchi plastic) Besides one is made of mattel and one is in plastic
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the saucer is a little thicker on the metal one, but I could be wrong.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how you define "difference".

For some folks, there is no difference at all, except the material it is made of. As far as using them for the game, this is true too. "A CA mini is a CA mini" and from a few feet away it hard to tell them apart.

If you get into details like some folks (myself included), there are some differences.

The engines and aft-hull are nearly identical in both (since the metal CA (Heavy Cruiser) and CC (Command Cruiser) were both mastered using the plastic Zochii CA as their basis (it's the exact same pieces, for both metal ships).

The engine struts on the metal CA and CC have been thickened slightly, when compared to the plastic CA. This was to keep the engines from drooping under their own weight (as on some previous metal minis of the "tv ship"). This also made them a bit more durable on the game table and in-transit. The metal "engineering hull" also had phasers added over the shuttlebay (not present on the "tv ship").

The saucers are where most of the difference lie, and again, many folks don't care or see any difference.

The metal CA saucer was made by modifying the saucer from the metal BC. It has some differences in the neck shape and the upper bridge "teardrop", when compared to the plastic one. It's also thicker on the edge. The biggest difference is the absence of the raised "grid" lines (the metal CA and BC saucers are smooth).

The metal CC (Command Cruiser) saucer is a completely new version, modeled in 3D in software, then 3D-printed and investment cast. It has stylistic differences to the others - the "grid" is heavily embossed (much like the one on the DW), the "teardrop" is different, and the rim is thinner than the other metal one.

I personally vastly prefer the new "CC" saucer. Since it is functionally identical to the older metal one (same phaser bumps, etc.) and completely interchangeable, I do exactly that and use it for all my metal CA's (as well as modifying it to use on my BC's and GSC too).

A metal Fed CC mini is just a metal Fed CA mini with the new-style saucer and can be used as a CA as-is. Calling it a CC was just a clever way for ADB to get it out there without making folks feel like there was something "wrong" with metal CA's they had already bought (since there isn't).

I hope this helps.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it helps and thank you
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot I have a picture from the last time this came up:

Last edited by djdood on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will got 99.99% of it all. I'll add a few VERY minor details.

Don't forget that the metal CC and CA have the underside 360 degree phasers on the secondary hull. These are not on the Zocchi mini.

The Zocchi mini also only has two photon torpedoes on the teardrop of the saucer while the CC has four. The CA should, but I've had some with all four and some are missing a few.

Game-wise, if you want to be absolutely uber nit-picky, then the plastic Zocchi CA is the Middle Years CA from Briefing #2 while the metal CA is the one from Klingon Border. The CC is nearly right, but the rear phasers should be on the underside (making 4 there), but this is such a minor point as to not be really worth worrying about. This is because the CA and CC share the same secondary hull and engines, since moving two phasers isn't worth sculpting a new hull master.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
SWO_Daddy
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great comparison pick. I always preferred the Zocchi until the new CC saucer appeared. Now I'm hooked. I went to far as to buy a bunch of the new CC saucers to for minis I already had with CA saucers.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.

Other than my two legacy plastic Zochii CA's, I used metal CC saucers for everything except my Fast Cruiser.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Zocchi CA saucer to represent older hulls. For example, in one case, I used a CA saucer with the CVS rear hull to represent one of the original CCVs.
SWO_Daddy
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos:

My "MY" Zocchi CA, USS Constitution...

Her modernized sister ships, Enterprise, Kongo and Essex...

In some cases, I've used the new saucer with other old Zocchi parts. I've found the older Zocchi engines look a tad better (hardly enough to notice) in some cases, and I've used them with the other metal parts.[/i]
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy-

Those are gorgeous, as-always.

I've got a box of plastic Zochii parts, both from buying a bag or two from ADB, and from various "donors" I've acquired on evilBay and Craigslist. I've used bits and bobs (CS conversions, etc.) but most of them are waiting for "great ideas".

I do plan to take most of the tug pods and make myself some cheap "different looking" freighters.
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some good-looking CAs. Never thought much about having the 'class-named' ship, but that Constitution is giving me second thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: