Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFBF Continuation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battle Force
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burt got a deck for his birthday recently and wanted our group to try it out. Mike and I played against each other while Burt read the rules. Checking the Q & A section after the game, there were a couple of things we did wrong (mainly Mike didn't discard his planet based fighters after using it), but overall the game well. I lost 3 ships to his fighters and 1 to a drone atta ck. Mike lost 2 ships to phaser fire, 1 to plasma, and 1 (his C-8 ) to a Klingon Mutiny combined with a Prime Team attack.

Overall, we had a good time and plan to play the game again. The only thing that I would like to see would be an expansion deck to add the rest of the main empires (Lyrans, Hydrans, ISC).
Kahuna
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, as you can see from this forum, that's something we'd all like to see. The reality of the market, costs, and level of interest might keep this in the wishful thinking category though.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize, of course, that if you want cards for the other main races, you just have to go download them.

Granted, they are B&W, and you will have to print them and cut them out. But, you can use them ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but that doesn't give you the Fed and klink Battlecruiser "freebies"
PanzerTC
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I know I'm still new here but I think there might be a solution around a 15K investment and avoid inventory taxes.

"PDFs" the site already has loads of them. I do not have access to the whole site - but I have seen lots of references to them.

I have seen several other websites do this. Often they charge for the .pdf to be emailed or a password sent to access the files. Plus by not allowing a middle man to mismanage or reduce profits - ADB may have a supplementary source of income with minimal investment of resources.

Of course steps would have to be taken to prevent improper use of the files. (A legal statement on the PDF - similar to ones that exists already.) Additionally - I know other people like myself like to take the documents to a Kinkos - or other such companies. (Again a legal statement or a statement to the effect that the .pdf will be sent directly to a professional copier with appropriate instructions for printing purposes.)

Hopefully a solution like this would allow for High Resolution (and Color) .pdfs to be posted/made available for purchase.

I had a very good friend who downloaded and scanned his set of cards for a very popular card game from a Seattle based game company. (This was strictly with the intent to preserve the value his cards and for home use only. Not distribution or any other such purpose.)

He, like me and many others believe that a business has the right to copyright and protect the material they produce. If not the companies would go out of business if no one paid them for the material.

ADB seems to me to be very interactive and reactive with their customer base. (Additionally, ADB is very proactive and inventive.) Not many other systems have such a positive and interactive base with the companies that produce them. I think I will be very happy with the ADB products and the support for them.

Who knows - it may lead to other ideas being made available in a similar form.

With this said - no further ranting, no harm intended - it is merely a possible solution with mutual benefits.

"In planning, never a useless move; in strategy, no step taken in vain."
Ch'en Hao
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, ADB knows all about PDFs and electronic distribution. Lemme try to sum up the discussion ...

ADBs position is that if a core component (e.g. SFBF cards) are released electronically (e.g. PDF form), then they will be distributed on pirate sites approximately 0.0001 seconds after they are released. At that point, the actual value of that product then becomes $0.

Please don't explain why this is not true. That discussion has been hashed out dozens of times already. I am sorry if that sounds rude, but this has been beaten to death, and there is no reason to go through the whole thing again.

That said, ADB is giving the PDF thing a try. They are working to offer a handful of products electronically via SJG's e23 online store. The success or failure of that effort will determine whether other products are released in PDF.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I mention that the printer delivered some new SFBF cards on Wednesday? (Three Lyrans and three Hydrans that fit into an unused corner of another printing project.) We'll have them on the shopping cart shortly.
PanzerTC
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest

I don't take it as rude. Like I said - I'm new and don't have somplete access to the site or the history.

I take it for what it is - information and background.

Thanks - and now that I know there is a chance to support another venue of the systems, I'll look into it.

Ch'en Hao

Last edited by PanzerTC on Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PanzerTC -

You should look into getting an account for the "legacy bbs". There are lots of discussions that go on there that are not duplicated here, in particular, almost all product development talks happen there.
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh... new SFBF cards... new Lyrans... and those other guys.

need to wait a couple more days to order my drones and plasmas and add these to the mix.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see which livery(ies) the Lyran ships are in on those cards...
PanzerTC
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood

Quote:
You should look into getting an account for the "legacy bbs".

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried to act on it but that site is blocked to me right now.

I'll try again later when I get home.

Ch'en Hao
PanzerTC
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood,

I got to the site and created a profile there.

Wow - two boards = twice the fun and information.

Thanks

Ch'en Hao
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyrans and Hydrans!

Looks like the gang will be making an order soon.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Did I mention that the printer delivered some new SFBF cards on Wednesday? (Three Lyrans and three Hydrans that fit into an unused corner of another printing project.) We'll have them on the shopping cart shortly.

Hey guys, I know this thread is Wayyyy old, but could someone plaese post a link? I can't find them... Crying or Very sad

And thank you in advance! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Star Fleet Battle Force All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: