Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tractored Ship Movement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maldus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Tractored Ship Movement Reply with quote

Lets say a CA with Base Speed 16 tractors a FF with Base Speed 24. Energy cost is 16 versus 12 and there is no auction. CA controls movement which is now at Base Speed 8. The FF had already satisfied its Turn Mode so it is free to make a turn next impulse.

My first question is...can the FF make a turn while tractored? I understand it can make a high energy turn on any sub-pulse of movement. I am wondering if it can make a "normal" turn since it has already satisfied its turn mode. Obviously it could not actually turn and move forward due to the tractor. But could it turn 60 degrees to perhaps bring to bear a weapon on the CA?

My second question is...can the FF pay for deceleration on several sub-pulses in order to work towards satisfying its turn mode...and thus be able to make yet another turn while tractored?

My last question...and we may already have made this one moot...would the FF turn and/or decelerate on the sub-pulses 2, 3, and 4 given its original Base Speed of 24?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A1: In the situation described the FF may perform an HET. If the FF had been Stopped, it could perform a Tactical Maneuver. Other than that, the FF may not make any movement at all or turn normally. As (5D6b) states, the "engines of the other ship have no effect and that ship simply follows along with the moving ship." So, the FF's turn mode is irrelevant during the time it is tractored. On the other hand, if it survives the experience, the turn mode is still fulfilled so it could turn on its first movement after being released from the tractor.

A2: No. The FF cannot turn normally, and can't make accelerations or decelerations while it is tractored.

A3: As you surmise, the question is moot as the FF cannot move or turn normally while it is tractored.

Further note: If the amount of energy spent on movement had been the same, then you enter the (5D6c) Static Situation, and you can accelerate or decelerate in order to control movement. But, in the situation you describe, that is definitely not the case.

(BTW, while your example is correct that the CA spent 16 energy points on movement, the FF, which only has a movement rate of 1/4, only spent 6 energy points on movement. Or what you describe as an FF was really a DD, which would have spent 12 energy points to move speed 24.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...

As a completely side point, something I hadn't really thought of before is that if a CA has at least a Base Speed of 8, if that CA tractors (or is tractored by) an FF, that FF can NEVER control the movement as it can't ever spend enough energy points to do so.

Conclusion: FFs should not let themselves get tractored by CAs. (Or larger ships.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Maldus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a feeling those were the answers...and yes, I meant DD not FF in my example.

I asked about this because of the way ships can still maneuver while held in webs. Wanted to see if regular tractoring might allow similar turns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: