Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingon C7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Klingon C7 Reply with quote

I know that the Klingon D6 and D7 are the same hull with different weapons packages. What about the C7? The ship card silhouette looks like a heavier boom, but I recall reading in a ship description somewhere that the C7 represented the maximum weapons payload that could be supported by that particular hull design, which makes me think that it is the same hull as the D6/D7. Which is it?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically speaking, the D6, D7, and C7 are all different hulls. Even though the D6 and D7 vary by only four boxes (I think it is four boxes: two wing phasers and two APR), they are actually different hulls. Likewise, the C7 is a different, bigger hull than either the D6 or D7.

They are all different ships.

(How different the D6 and D7 are is open for debate. While there is no rules or any history of Klingons converting a D6 into a D7, the Romulans somehow managed to convert a KR into a K7RX. Go figure. But, fundamentally, they are different ships.)

And note that even having the exact same box count and arrangement doesn't mean they are the same. While I don't know if a D6 and D7 boom are interchangeable, the T7 (i.e. tug) boom is explicitly not interchangeable, despite having a completely identical SSD.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D6 and D7 are very similar but C7 is a totally different hull.

The background says that the C7 is the heaviest possible ship on a generic cruiser hull (i.e., move cost 1), not on a D7 hull.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking strictly to the miniatures, the C-7 does indeed have a wider (more flared and dreadnought-like) boom, with a different "command bulb" and 'hat-brim" on the front of it. It also has the small center engine tucked flat under its rear portion.

The C-7's rear hull is very similar to the D6/D7 in top-view silhouette, but has a deeper "scallop" in the front center and is much stockier overall top-to-bottom. It also features a prominent centerline grille on its forward upper surface and a much taller and chunkier deckhouse.

The D-6 and D-7 are pretty much identical externally, but that is like saying a modern F-15SA Eagle fighter is the same as an early-1970s vintage F-15A. They look the same, but pretty much everything under the skin has changed in one way or another, especially the systems.
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't ask me to draft them, but I would suspect that the D6 and D7 internal deck plans are substantially different.

Master Sgt, US Air Force, Retired -- 1981-2007 -- 1W091A
Jack Bohn
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The D-6 has four doors on this side, and the D-7 only has two!"

"No, no, no, it's the other way around! You've got it all backwards!"
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
the C-7...also has the small center engine tucked flat under its rear portion.

Wait...the boom engine on the C-7 is outboard? I thought it was only used as an engine in case of boom separation, and otherwise functioned essentially as an AWR. It must be very small, as it is only 2 boxes!

I looked on Shapeways but there doesn't seem to be a model of the C-7 yet.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I found a great set of Adam Turner renders of the C-7, and I see what Will meant. When he said the boom engine was mounted flat, he meant FLAT, as in on its side. So I guess that engine is used for propulsion even when the ship is in one piece. I thought it was only exposed when the boom separated.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the D6 and D7 deck plans are 95% the same.

The machinery in those spaces, the power bus system, the soft drink machines, and the tile mosaics in the ladies shower room are different.

There is a bigger reactor and two storage compartments were turned into phaser control rooms.

Oh, and the crew bunks are 1.25cm wider in the D7.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnuzzi wrote:
Ok, I found a great set of Adam Turner renders of the C-7, and I see what Will meant. When he said the boom engine was mounted flat, he meant FLAT, as in on its side.

Yes, that is what I meant.

cnuzzi wrote:
So I guess that engine is used for propulsion even when the ship is in one piece. I thought it was only exposed when the boom separated.

You're probably thinking of the boom impulse engines for the D6/D7, which can only be used for propulsion when the boom is separated (but can be used for power any time).

The tiny center engine on the C-7 (and the similar small warp engine on the Federations Kirov-class BCH, the C-7's natural opponent) are usable anytime to contribute to the ships movement.
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should we be worried that Mr Cole knows what the ladies shower tile mosaics look like in 2 different classes of ship? Wink
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very concerned that the ladies have superior facilities and check on them frequently through the ESS monitoring video cameras.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Cole has always exhibited a high degree of concern for the welfare of female personnel. From the Commanders Edition, regarding Boom Separation:

Quote:
the boom is a self-contained spaceship and can be used
to escape from the area. Naturally, the boom is occupied by the
captain, senior officers, and female personnel of impeccable
genetic qualities.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so this is in the nature of a distasteful duty that someone has to complete. I understand!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: