Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Klingon D7Z

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Klingon D7Z Reply with quote

What is the mission profile for the Klingon D7Z? No heavy weapons, but 4 extra ph-1s in place of the disruptors. I suppose it would be excellent at defending against plasma. Is that it?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The in-game story is that it was a unique testbed used to test out their newer Ph-1 technology. At the time the Klingons couldn

Federation Commander Answer Guy
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike - Could you repost your reply? I think it got cut off in mid-sentence. Thank you!
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Mike would have added is that when the D7Z was introduced, the Klingons had issues with PH-1 technology; the PH-1 that replaced the Disr were much larger than the limited number of PH-1 that the Empire could produce at this time. As technology advanced, the Klingons were able to produce more "standard" PH-1 meaning that this design was not really needed.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky basically got it.

When the D7Z was produced, and it was only produced as a single, unique testbed, Klingons had problems with Ph-1 technology. So, to install it on the ship required either sacrificing weapons mounts (like in the C8/C9 comparison) or sacrificing heavy weapons (like in the D7Z). So, the D7Z let them get multiple Ph-1s on the ship in order to test it all out.

When they got better with the tech, they just replaced some Ph-2s (not all, as they are still cash-strapped) with Ph-1s that they could now place in the same mounts.

Fundamentally, the D7Z is only makes any sense at all in the Middle Years, and really makes no sense in the main time period of Federation Commander. By the time represented by Federation Commander it would have been a complete anachronism. (I don't remember if it stayed in service that long, or was converted back or to something else.)

Hope that helps.

(The problem I had was that I keep forgetting that PHP dies when it sees a "smart quote". iOS only uses smart quotes, so when I post from my iPad, I forgot I have to never use single or double quotes when writing a post.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I just figured out the quotes thing myself. Reminds me of my Nook - it won't recognize any books with a single quote in the title, so I have to rename them accordingly.

Thank you for the explanation - I'm very interested in the history of the SFU, so I really appreciate such info. That clears up some things I was wondering about the C8/C9 as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: