Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good demo fleets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnDDW
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Good demo fleets? Reply with quote

I've been wondering what might make up a good 4-5 ship demo fleet of roughly equal-ish points for each of the 5 factions would be from book 1?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that...
The old Fed squadron box #1 comes out right at 1,000 points - so I tried to do similar fleet for all the others.
Sounds easy, right?
WRONG!!!
To much for new players to remember.

I quickly learned that the best way to actually demo and teach new players was to limit the ship classes available.
Use 4 Fed CAs... or 3 NCLs and 2 CAs; then build similar 1 or 2 ship fleets from the others.
The points may be off, but that won't matter.

By limiting your demos to only one or at most, 2 classes per side - the new players will have an easier time remembering the firing arcs for their weapons.

Nothing slows a game down as much as having a player unfamiliar with both the rules and the ships stopping three times during every movement action to re-check the ship roster to confirm firing arcs. If all the ships are the same, then all the firing arcs are the same, too. And its easy to remember after just a turn or two.
JohnDDW
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. Keep it simple,
pvt64
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Demos Reply with quote

The Demos that I have run have been limited to Romulan or Klingon Vs. Federation. 2 KR & 2 KF5R or 2 D5 & 2 F5 Vs. 2 NCL & 2 FF. Points are very close and I figure the hull shapes are very well recognized to the general public.
Jiraiya1969
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking 2 CARs and 1 CC for the Federation and 2 D7s and one C7 for the Klingon Empire.

It seems like a pretty even match up gesturing 2 classic opponents, and the hulls aren't so dissimilar that they would confuse new players.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiraiya1969 wrote:
I was thinking 2 CARs and 1 CC for the Federation and 2 D7s and one C7 for the Klingon Empire.

It seems like a pretty even match up gesturing 2 classic opponents, and the hulls aren't so dissimilar that they would confuse new players.

That should work.
3 ships per side is the bare minimum you want to use when demoing. You'd think that fewer ships would be better, but below three per side, it's no longer a fleet game and some of the flavor is lost.

Also, while the ships are similar... they still have different weapon arcs.
Two similar but different lay-outs per side isn't too bad.
My first demo game (since we were familiar with SFB) was 7 different ships on each side. It was bad enough for the experienced SFB players, having to look to see how the well-known, 60-degree arcs translated into ACTA's 90-degree arcs. For the new guys with no experience - it was a nightmare.
petrov27
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about purchasing the rules for this and researching a bit - just curious what forced the big weapon arc changes between SFB and A Call to Arms SF?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Thomas (Scoutdad) will chime in with an official answer, but the short unofficial version is that ACTA used 4 arcs and the entire system was pretty hard-coded for them and the simplicity they bring. Changing it to the SFB/FedCom standard of 6 arcs was studied and tested, extensively, but in the end leaving that part of ACTA alone was the decision.
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all part of the deal when converting to another game engine.
Many of the things you are used to have to be tweaked or altered to make the existing universe work inside a new framework.

As Will said, the 90-degree arcs are a part and parcel of the ACTA game engine and the original conversion (Version 1.00 was performed by Mongoose Publishing - the owners of the ACTA game system. They converted the Fed Comm ships and their 60-degree arcs to the ACTA compliant 90-degree arcs.

I'm guessing that if ADB had developed their own fleet combat game, the 60 degree arcs would have most likely been kept. As it was, when ADB took over development of ACTASF for version 1.2 - we did discuss converting it to 60-degree arcs.
Ultimately, it was decided that the ACTA game engine worked best with 90-degree arcs,and the time required to play test 60 degree arcs and re-write rules from the ground up would have taken so long that the game would have effectively been killed.

Even as it is... the SFU ships strain the ACTA system to its limits.
ACTA uses 90 degree arcs and most ships have a maximum of one weapon bank in each arc... and most do not have weapons in every arc. And there are few (if any) ships with a single weapon bank spanning multiple arcs. This lack of weapon count makes the ACTA game quick and brutal. The SFU ships retain t he same number of weapons, even though the arcs change somewhat. While the ACTASF game is faster than either SFB or Fed Comm (our group can play a 12 on 12 battle in about 2 hours), it still takes 2 to 3 times as long to fight an ACTASF battle as it does an ACTA: NA / ACTA:B5 battle with an equal number of units on each side.

I'm probably biased, but I think the game is an excellent addition to the SFU.
I'd still prefer to play Federation and Empire or SFB given the chance, but I can find 20 times the number of people willing to learn and play ACTASF than I can Federation Commander... much less SFB.
Myrm
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
While the ACTASF game is faster than either SFB or Fed Comm (our group can play a 12 on 12 battle in about 2 hours), it still takes 2 to 3 times as long to fight an ACTASF battle as it does an ACTA: NA / ACTA:B5 battle with an equal number of units on each side.

That surprises me - we had played a fair amount of ACTA: B5 and VaS at my club and when we trialled ACTASF it worked as well as the other two on much the same timescale for us.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works the same way for us [Battlegroup Murfreesboro] as well.
But for most players not familiar with the ACTA game engine... while there is an increase in speed over SFB / Fed Comm; it doesn't seem to be as marked as the increase in those groups that are familiar with both ACTA and SFB / Fed Comm.

We [BGM] regularly run a massive scenario [The Battle for Kh'rtis Rock] that features 31 Federation ships, 28 Klingon ships, a Klingon BATS, 6 freighters, and a few special scenario rules / units. It's a little over 10,000 points total and we c an run it in 4 to 4.5 hours... not counting the two hours required to set-up before hand and put away afterwards.

If we're only doing a 1500 to 2000 point battle, it's a 60 to 75 minute proposition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> A Call to Arms Star Fleet All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: