Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

voided cloak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edwinfeds
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: voided cloak Reply with quote

During a voided cloak I believe the rules say all benefits of the cloak are voided except for reducing the damage of a hit by half. If I understand this correctly this means that the ship can be targeted by drones and other seeking weapons during the 4 void cloak impulses.
My question is can the romulan sensor ship use a sensor on the voided cloak ship during the time a cloak is voided to give added protection on direct fire weapons while still keeping the half damage caused by direct fire weapons?

Also assume would work in new cloak rules in #104 that is being considered.
thanks
dw
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear, using the rules from the RRBv6, a voided cloak loses all benefits four the four impulses of voiding. Basically, it is a sitting duck that can't do anything for the voiding period. And, yes, that means seeking weapons may be launched at it during the voiding period and it may be tractored during the voiding period.

When using the updated cloaking rules, the voiding rules from RRBv6 are modified such that the voiding period is only two impulses (not four) and any weapons striking it only do half damage. (And that includes both direct-fire weapons and seeking weapons.)

In any rules, a ship with a voided cloak is still under the restrictions of being cloaked. As such, the ship may not "... fire or launch any weapons or probes ..." This restriction includes the use of special sensors (which counts as a weapons use). So, whether voided or not, a Romulan scout ship may not use its special sensors while under cloak.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this as 2 romulan ships. 1 uncloaked sensor ship, 1 cloaked ship with the cloak voided. Can the sensor ship help the cloaked ship defensively?

thx
Nicole
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, yes, the scout ship can provide the cloaked ship (5S4a) friendly jamming.

This is to be completely separate from whether this should work or not. As the rules currently sit, (5S4a) works on a cloaked ship.

(In SFB, it would not work. However, I don't think anything will be gained by making a change here, so I think leaving it alone is fine. Regardless, (5S4c) would still work.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: