Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Orion vs Fed CA - what ship?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Orion vs Fed CA - what ship? Reply with quote

I do not have a ship card for an Orion CA, however I do have the Orion DN, BCH, BR, CR, MR, and LR (along with some "specialty ships" like the salvage ship, etc.). What ship would be a good opponent for a Fed CA (or a CA in general)?

I'm aware, of course, that the optional weapons mounts make this an inexact science, but as I'm just getting into Orions in FC, I'm curious if anyone has any insight into this.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point values can be your guide, in a general-sense.

The Orion CA is the most direct points-value matchup.

It's been my own personal experience though that the Orions' gimmick (engine doubling) makes them very difficult opponents and they "punch above their weight class". I (again, I, being a mediocre tactician) would only have a 50% chance of success fighting the smaller CR raider cruiser in a Fed CAR.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I heard - that the engine doubling and stealth made the BPV a poor indicator for Orions. Maybe I'll try a BR against a Fed CA.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason Battlegroup Murfreesboro calls it the 'cocaine effect'

Being able to double the engines makes you feel go about your power levels and abilities.
Unfortunately, new players tend to use this too often and too early in a match.
Once you start depending on it, it becomes a self-sustaining addiction.

You can't fly the ship the way you want too without doubling the engines, and doubling the engines causes even more damage that negatively impacts performance - making you need to doubling the engines just to maintain the power curve... and so on.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orion BC (effectively the "CA+") was published in Orion Attack, and the Orion CA was published in Booster Pack #22.

The most even match up for a Fed CA is probably the Orion CA. However, you can give the BR a try as it should be able to stand up to a CA for at least a couple battle passes. (Though it will probably have to win quickly or give up.) But the BR is probably the best bet with the ships you have. Maybe give it more optimal weapons to try to give it somewhat of an advantage?

Federation Commander Answer Guy
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - I'll probably check out that Booster Pack at some point, especially if it has other ships I want.

Lol "the cocaine effect" - I like that! Smile
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With turn mode A, 3 photons and a gattling a properly flown BR should beat a fed CA probably 9 times out of 10 there is always the very lucky 3 or 4 photon hits at rang 5-8, using stealth and evasion and range 5-8 while the fed has OL photons. The orion should dictate the battle.

IMHO

Nicole
Klingon of Gor
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrcalamine's estimate of a BR's chances with that weapons loadout is probably pretty accurate, but I think a lot of choosing options mounts comes down to a choice of playing style. Disruptors can be pretty nasty on an Orion because if they manage to work in close, they can double engines and overload. Or they could go with photons or what have you.

Orion stealth lowers the Fed's chances to connect with photons, and that can be a game changer even if the Orions ever double engines. If you fire at them with photons, and miss because of their stealth, then they might close and rip you up with overloaded disruptors and/or a phaser G

Orions are ugly customers, period, end of story, and they have more than one way to ruin your day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: