Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISC rear-firing plasma

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: ISC rear-firing plasma Reply with quote

I am having trouble parsing rule (4J6) ISC REAR-FIRING TORPEDOES. I've read it over and over again, but I'm still uncertain of how often they can be used, how the "Weapons Used" track is to be marked, etc. For example, on the ISC Star Cruiser, there is one big box with two groups of letters, (DEF GHJ). How should that be handled?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that isn't the clearest, is it?

The idea is that you would mark off the check-box when you used it offensive at a ship, but not mark it when you used it defensively or fired it at a shuttle or seeking weapon. That isn't ideal, as you can still only fire plasmas you have armed and ready, and how do you keep track of that? You will probably need to keep track any fire at shuttles/drones in a different way, and just use the check-box for the fire at anything else.

The other problem is that the rule says you get one plasma per turn offensively at a ship, but the ship card implies two times. The rule is correct; you only get to fire offensively at a ship (or other large target) once per turn per ship. (Except for the noted exception of the BB.) So, the Star Cruiser's ship card is in error. It should have one single large check-box for letters DEFGHJ together. I am pretty sure the other ship cards are correct, however.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, to make it a simpler case, let's use the ISC CL, which has 4 PL-F in two banks. C & D are L+LR, E & F are RR+R. The box says (CD EF).

1. How many PL-F can I fire at an enemy CA per turn? 1 or 2 or 4? How should the box be marked when I do?

2. How many PL-F can I fire at impacted drones/shuttles per turn? How should the box be marked when I do?

3. How do situations 1 and 2 above affect each other? Can I do 1 and 2 on the same turn?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnuzzi wrote:
Ok, to make it a simpler case, let's use the ISC CL, which has 4 PL-F in two banks. C & D are L+LR, E & F are RR+R. The box says (CD EF).

1. How many PL-F can I fire at an enemy CA per turn? 1 or 2 or 4? How should the box be marked when I do?

One. You may fire a total of one of your rear-firing Pl-F at the enemy CA per turn. When you fire it, you mark the box associated with "CD EF".

cnuzzi wrote:
2. How many PL-F can I fire at impacted drones/shuttles per turn? How should the box be marked when I do?

Four. You may fire all of your rear-firing Pl-F at impacted drones/shuttles in a turn. When you fire, you don't mark the box associated with "CD EF". You will, of course, still want to note that they have fire, though.

Note that this applies to drones/shuttles whether they have impacted or not. You may fire at impacted drones/shuttles in the Defensive Fire Phase, or you may fire at drones/shuttles (including fighters) in flight in the Offensive Fire Phase.

cnuzzi wrote:
3. How do situations 1 and 2 above affect each other? Can I do 1 and 2 on the same turn?

They affect each other because you may only fire a given rear-firing Pl-F once in a turn. So, while you may indeed fire at both the enemy CA and impacted drones/shuttles, if you fire a rear-firing Pl-F at the enemy CA, that will only leave you three rear-firing Pl-F to use on drones/shuttles.

And, obviously, the rear-firing Pl-F must be armed normally, too. So, in effect, you can only fire a rear-firing Pl-F every third turn. The above discussions assume you have four fully armed rear-firing Pl-F. The firing restrictions on rear-firing Pl-F are in addition to the normal operation of a Pl-F. So, they have to be armed normally.

cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Mike! Now I get it. I was wondering why the ISC had so many plasma torps! I thought maybe that was where the term "big plasma" came from!

I'll probably put a dot with the the marker above a given letter when it is used against a drone/shuttle.
cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing...

Quote:
You may fire a total of one of your rear-firing Pl-F at the enemy CA per turn. When you fire it, you mark the box associated with "CD EF".

So I don't mark the whole box, just the letter I fired?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnuzzi wrote:
One more thing...

Quote:
You may fire a total of one of your rear-firing Pl-F at the enemy CA per turn. When you fire it, you mark the box associated with "CD EF".

So I don't mark the whole box, just the letter I fired?

Exact mechanism is up to you. The big box is intended to be used if you fire at a ship. However, it would be completely reasonable to do something like put a dot under any letter for a torpedo fired at a shuttle/drone, and an X under the letter for a torpedo fired at a ship.

The important thing is the firing restrictions mentioned above. How it is recorded on the ship card is up to you. Whatever you need to do to make sure you remember everything.

cnuzzi
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. If I may make a suggestion...that section of the rules needs an example when the Rev 7 rulebook comes out. Thanks again!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnuzzi wrote:
Got it. If I may make a suggestion...that section of the rules needs an example when the Rev 7 rulebook comes out. Thanks again!

So noted.

EDIT: To be clear, I have a list I made at the end of last year keeping track of everything that can/should go into a Rev 7 Rulebook. This has been added.

ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure the "new" cloak rules are going to be in rev 7 of the rule book.

thx Nicole
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrcalamine wrote:
Just to make sure the "new" cloak rules are going to be in rev 7 of the rule book.

Actually, there is a parallel thread on this. I'll post my reply to this post there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: