Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Me Too! Hellbore edition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Itharus
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Me Too! Hellbore edition. Reply with quote

Can someone clarify this for me:

I was looking at ESG rules, specifically the anti-hellbore mode and noticed at the end that it says Me-Too! firing applies to both ESG and Hellbore users.

I'm a little confused by that.

Does this only apply during Anti-Hellbore use? Ie: If a hydran fires a hellbore at a Lyran with ESG's ready to rock, and the Lyran uses his ESG to mitigate the hellbore - the ship that fired said hellbore can fire additional hellbore at the Lyran at that point (assuming they have them available)?

Or does it mean that any time a Lyran sets off an ESG (any usage), a(ny) Hydran may fire a hellbore at it (if available)?

How does this work, exactly?

Thanks!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me-too only applies within the framework of the rules. So, irrespective of anything else, a hellbore may only fire at the normal portions of the turn. Therefore, the ESG me-too only really applies in the hellbore/anti-hellbore exchange.

So, yes, if a ship with four hellbores fires one at a target, and that target raises an ESG to protect against that hellbore fire, that ship may then, at that point, decide to fire one or more additional hellbores at the target knowing that all are now guaranteed to hit. In fact, if there are more than one hellbore ships, then the others could decide to jump in, too.

And, if the side with hellbores does add more hellbore fire, the target ship can decide to use an additional ESG (assuming any were available) to block more of the hellbore damage.

So, yes, in a fleet, anti-hellbore usage of ESGs can actually be quite counter-productive. (At least for the targeted ship.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Itharus
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so weird that it makes me wonder why they even bothered with an anti-hellbore mode o_O
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It provides tactical flexibility.

If in a small squadron or single ship encounter, it provides a decent defense against hellbores (weighted against the auto-hit thing). It does make it more dangerous to do in large fleets, however. But, even in a fleet, it can be used as a feint to try and entice killing/overkilling a minor participant rather than focusing on the major ships. And, if a ship is gonna get hammered regardless, it is a little extra help it might not otherwise have.

It's there and it's an option. But that doesn't mean it is always a good option.

Itharus
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the me-too firing applies to all the ships in this case? I really thought it would only affect the ship that initially fired the hellbore.

Reasoning: anti-hellbore is a whole special little phase of defensive fire specific just to ESG that happens concurrently with a single ship initiating hellbore fire upon the Lyran ship in question - volleys are done by ship (and the ship has to resolve before moving to the next), no? Just feels wrong that an exchange between two individual ships would open an opportunity for ALL the hellbores, especially given that ESG are effectively "instant" duration pulses - rather like a phaser shot in FC. How would ships even see the pulse, calculate targeting, and fire the hellbores in the incredibly brief time span it takes for that sphere to pop out to adjacent hexes?

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding things... but it almost feels like Me-Too shouldn't apply in a defensive fire situation just for sheer wonkyness. If the ESG persisted, as it does in SFB - I'd totally understand it. But the window of opportunity here is just so tiny.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of this happens in Defensive Fire Phase. This is all in Direct Fire Phase. Yes, hellbore volleys are handled oddly, but when firing, it all happens in the Direct Fire Phase along with all other weapons fire. So, a hellbore is fired just like every other direct-fire weapon at the same time as every other direct-fire weapon. And, since anti-hellbore use is directly in response to hellbore fire, it also happens all in the whole Direct-Fire Phase.

And, since 1E4 (me-too) is all about players, not ships, I figure it applies to a player's forces, not just a single ship. Obviously, only ships with hellbores apply, but it is still the player, not the ship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: