Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4F6 and 5Q

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncrcalamine
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: 4F6 and 5Q Reply with quote

are these official rules as of now?

4F6
there are some Romulan vessels that can launch 2 plasma F at the same target in the same round but the plasma F have to exit the firing hex into different hexes because of firing arcs. How does this work with swarms?

You are reducing the effectiveness of seeking weapons because there will now never be "over kill" on seeking weapons. Weapon damage will just flow into the next seeking weapon. This especially reduces plasma weapons.

thanks
Nicole
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are playtest rules. The results of playtesting will determine if changes are needed.

Excellent question on the 2 torpedo plasma swarm. We'll have to work on an answer for that. I am not sure of what the answer is. My initial take would be that they would not form a swarm.

Since damage is applied by firing weapon, there definitely can be overkill. That still happens. Playtesting will determine if it takes too much overkill out, but it is still there. (And if there is not enough possibility of overkill, then simply removing the enforced order of application would definitely change that!)

However, I am not really seeing it affect plasma too much. I have almost never seen plasma phasered down to literally nothing. It is almost always just to reduce strength, and that will work as intended with the swarm rules. But that is just what I have seen, and I am far from representative.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Sebastian380
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can somebody give me an example or two of how the 'enforced order of application' of damage makes a difference? I understand how to use the rule but I'm not sure what the point of the rule is.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. Here's a simple example.

A swarm of four drones passes a ship that is not the target. It fires three phasers at the swarm doing 4, 3, and 1 point of damage. The enforce order means they have to be applied from largest damage total to lowest damage total: 4, 3, 1. So, the owner of the swarm applies the 4 points to one drone, destroying it, 3 to a second drone, and 1 to a third drone. If the owner of the swarm could apply the damage in any order, he would apply the 3 points to one drone, then apply the 4 to the same drone, wasting three points of damage on overkill.

You can still get overkill even with the enforced order, but not nearly as much.

Does that explain it?

Brazouck
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if a weapon does 5 points of damage, 4 points destroy the drone and the leftover 1 goes to the next drone ?
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That's part of the trade off for simplifying the drone rules.

This also makes Overload Disruptor and Plasma extremely effective anti-drone weapons.

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brazouck wrote:
But if a weapon does 5 points of damage, 4 points destroy the drone and the leftover 1 goes to the next drone ?

No.

If a weapon does 5 points of damage, the previously undamaged drone is destroyed and the leftover 1 point is lost.

The damage from a single weapon is applied to a target within a swarm or flight in its entirety. The damage from a single weapon cannot be shared between two targets within a swarm or flight.

Dal Downing wrote:
Yes. That's part of the trade off for simplifying the drone rules.

This also makes Overload Disruptor and Plasma extremely effective anti-drone weapons.

It is the exact opposite of this. An overloaded weapon is an extremely poor anti-drone weapon as too much if its damage will be lost.

Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is exactly how it should be.
Brazouck
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer that second answer Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: