Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Snare & Evasive Maneuvers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Web Snare & Evasive Maneuvers Reply with quote

Can you use a web snare while using evasive maneuvers?

I can't find anything that specifically says yes or no. We're having different opinions on interpreting what is written.

The weapon faction: It's a weapon so it can't be used.

The web faction: You can't lay web so it can't be used.

The tractor faction: It's like a tractor beam, tractor beams can't be used.

The yes faction: The rules say you can't lay web, not that you can't reinforce web or use web generators. So you can use a web generator. A web generator isn't a weapon, it's a system so the no weapon rule doesn't apply. A web snare is an area of effect not a pinpoint weapon or system like the tractor beam and transporter. You can't use pinpoint weapons or systems because the ship is making random turns that the fire control can't handle. You can't lay web because you aren't moving in a straight line. The web snare on the other hand hits everything that's impacted on two shields. That's a pretty big and very close area that doesn't require pinpoint accuracy. Therefore, you should be able to use web snares.

Thanks for the help.

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you can't use it. It gets hit by both the "weapon" and "web" limitations. And, from its origins in SFB, the snare is just laying a pair of web hexes.

As a general point, (for any system of rules, not just Federation Commander or SFB) "the rules don't say you can't" is a specious argument. Look for where the rules say you can. If a topic is not directly covered, it is infinitely more likely that that you can't, rather than you can. (The reason is because when righting a rule it is much easier to remember what you can do, so you are much more likely to remember to include it, rather than what you can't do, which is much easier to miss.)

So, when a rule doesn't say whether you can or can't do something, bet on can't.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ,

Thanks for the ruling, we needed it. For the rest...

No one ever used "the rules don't say you can't" as the argument. If I gave that impression, it was not my intent. Since you're usually not so pointed in your responses, I'm going to assume there was a miscommunication somewhere. To attempt to clarify...

The rule specifically disallows only 1 of the 3 uses of web generators, but also specifically disallows all of the uses of other systems or generally bans the use of other systems. No other system is partially limited. I (the Tholian player) chalked it up to "We're all human" The web generator should be in line with the other limitations and be completely disallowed.

Others did not agree. Their argument was that for a weapon, it says you can't fire or launch weapons. For a transporter it says you can't operator transporters and cannot be boarded. For the tractor, it says you cannot use tractors or be tractored. However, for web generators, the rules says you cannot "lay webs" The "yes, use it" crowd which include my opponent (strange, I know) was adamant that ADB knows there are three uses for a web generator (laying, reinforcing, and snare). If ADB meant for the web generator to not be used, the rule would have specifically included all the uses of the web generator or had a general cannot use web generators statement just like what ADB wrote for the other systems. Based on that, their belief was that ADB only wanted to limit the laying of web, but not of reinforcing or doing a snare.

It was impossible for the group to determine the right answer in this situation. Was it human error (it should have said no) or was the specificity (can't lay webs) purposefully to allow the other uses. That's hard to figure out without asking the game designer.

That led us here to you.

Sorry about any misunderstanding. Maybe I should have just asked about the web snare without trying to explain everyone's position.

If there is a version 7 of the rulebook, I highly recommend the EM limitation be edited to either limit use of web generators in general or include all 3 functions of the web generator in the list (laying, reinforcing, and snare).

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do apologize for the bad tone. The whole "the rules don't say you can't" think is something I encounter all over the place, and it does get old. (I don't mean with Federation Commander rules questions, but literally any rules question.) The comment wasn't actually directed at you (as I didn't think it was your position). I just saw a good opportunity to toss that in for future reference for anyone. Again, I do apologize for letting the wrong tone come through. It was meant to be tossed out there, not thrown in your face.

I do agree that should have been specifically noted. I am sure this will make its way into Communique at some point. (But, Steve has to get healthy first before that can happen.) It is actually fairly clear if you know where Snares actually come from. In SFB, a snare is just a really, really crappy web caster, so it is restricted just as a web caster is restricted. But, in Federation Commander, the rule is different enough that a specific reference should be in there.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries MJ.

Hope health returns to everyone.

Merry Christmas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: