Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distinguishing characteristics of X-Ships

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Distinguishing characteristics of X-Ships Reply with quote

I know this might not belong here, but I'm looking forward to painting my X-ships (2 CAs and a DD under consideration/construction), and I'm wondering if they should have a different paint scheme. I know that an XCA is supposed to be identical to a regular one externally (there's even that scenario where the USS Vincennes and USS El Dorado surprise three D5s in SH157.0 who are unaware of the existence of the CX), perhaps minus the different phaser ports.

I guess I'm drawing some inspiration from Star Trek TMP where the new refitted Enterprise (which from the rumors I've heard the original CX was supposed to be before Paramount said something) is all white versus the original TOS Enterprise was a slight gray color.

Does anyone have opinions or data regarding this?

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a whole lot "official" has been established, which is bad for knowing what to do, but good in that it creates a blank sheet of paper.

I've always pictured the CX as something like the "Phase II" Enterprise, or one of the upgrades from the old Heavy Cruiser Evolution blueprint/poster (I forget the class name they gave it, but it had the slab-sided engines).

Some pictures were posted to the legacy BBS a few months ago that showed a new ADB CC saucer placed onto a FASA movie Enterprise aft hull (I think they tweaked the engines as well).
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus: Will is correct. Not a lot has been done "officially" to differentiate X-ships from non X-ships. In fact, it seems that efforts have been made to prevent any distinctions from being made... note the scenario Will mentioned.

With that in mind, here's what I have done to indicate X-ships. Mike Raper made a CX and a GSX that I purchased from him. In both of those, the struts holding the nacelles were modified to include a backward "rake" of about 20 to 25 degrees. Not a lot, but enough the significantly differentiate them from a CA or a GSC when each is one the table.

Additionally, the CA was modified to include a cut-out at the front of the primary hull (the saucer section), 'ala Voyager.

Mike paints his Federation ships in a gray base color that is very close to the TOS colors, whereas all of my Federation ships are "Titanium White". This also provides a visual difference in the X-ships / non X-ships. One other bit of difference. Mike's Federation ships are painted with a blue dome on the nacelles as opposed to the usual orange. I have elected to carry this scheme throughout my fleet as a distinctive marking found on "Hot Warp" engines. All of my "Fast" Federation ships and any future X-ships will have blue domes on the nacelles.

Also, after making a few trades, I found myself the proud owner of several pieces of the FASA minitures. I had enough saucers and engines to build an entire squadron of DDX's (including a SCX). Since these will have the slab-sided engines of he FASA ships, they will be easy to differentiate from non-X-ships, as well.

Hope this helps.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the blue engine dome on my "fast" ships as well. It's a sky blue with some insignia white dry-brushed onto it.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
I do the blue engine dome on my "fast" ships as well. It's a sky blue with some insignia white dry-brushed onto it.

Mine is:
CeramCoat: Cobalt BLue - basecoat
Folk Art: Cyan - drbrushed
Apple Barrel: Whicker White - highlights
Windsor & Newton: Blue ink (very thin) wash
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paint my Federation X ships a very light blue instead of the (almost white) light gray I use on the regular Federation ships. I use a Micro Machines TMP Enterprise as a CX and it's a light blue. I've used the Reliant as a DDX before. Think I even used the Excelsior figure one time as an X ship. They're all the same color, so I painted my old FF with the rectangular engines up like it to be an FFX. It's a lighter shade of blue though.

I suppose it's not plumb accurate, but you can tell the X ships at a glance and it looks good imho.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolverin61 wrote:
... and it looks good imho.

That's the big thing - if you're happy with it; then it's GOOD!
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanguard wrote:
John F Kennedy Class (CF)

I'm going to put one of these together out of a CF primary hull and a BC secondary hull (even though the NCC no. is in the CS series, to me the secondary hull looks like a BC and not a CS). I may paint it the light blue I use for the X ships, haven't decided yet. I'll paint the front of the warp engines the 'fast' blue either way.
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to go the TMP route, there's a few sites (and modelers) that inspire me. Maybe you guys have already run into them as well.

Tim Ketzer did an amazing 1701-A kit that shows off TMP Star Fleet color scheme very nicely:

http://www.ketzer.com/enterprise/index.html

And I also found the original movie model on these pages that really shows off the colors as well:

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicles/STMPEnterprise/ColorPhotos/STMPEnterpriseColor.htm

Hope these help you. However, I'm betting that X-ships in the SFU look very similar to TOS ships or what Adam has created (since it has been used on the X1R: X-Ship Reinforcements supplement, which would make it "canon" for ADB, correct?)

Rick

EDIT: Wow. I just saw that the original post was from 2007. My bad. I'm sure your project has long been finished. Wink

UPFY
Wolverin61
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those links, some great pics there that really show off the 'Aztec' pattern on the saucer.

Don't feel bad, I didn't notice the date when I made my post either. Surprised
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's been done for quite some time now.

Here's what I came up with:

My Federation Advanced Cruiser.
previously
Since then, I’ve modified it (after putting it in simple green loosened the putty and had to be redone) by removing two of the saucer torpedoes, the rear phasers, adding cooling units to the engines and adding the buildup between the nacelles. I’m really getting to like how this one turned out. I wasn’t always enamored with it, but it’s really grown on me lately.

The USS Revolution.
no decals set 1
no decals set 2
decals set 1
decals set 2

It's white rather than my standard gull grey for Fed ships.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me! Nice work.

UPFY
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the changes Paul.

Keep up the good work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: